Charges laid in Nipissing Ghost nets from last summer /Update July 23rd

kickingfrog

It's time to make arrest and put people in jail....

It's also time that ALL the business surrounding the lake get together and get a campaign together with multiple adds in every local paper around the lake NOT to purchase ANY walleyes from anyone from now on. These adds should run from a few weeks just before ice out until at least December to keep reminding people if you buy walleyes anywhere you have contributed to the problem.

Sounds like the Nipissing FN have some problems within their community. Does the Band Council speak for the community or not? In the NonNative community it's called breaking the law and the individual is dealt with in the courts. There needs to be more transparency in the FN community so that they gain some credibility.

Well the short answer to your question is 'NO'. The majority on many reservations do not believe in or recognize the elected band councils since they are members of a system that was put in place by the Canadian government (The Crown). These factions only recognize their traditional governments such as their Chiefs Councils, Men's fires etc. This issue is a major contributing factor in the inability to resolve any land claims as there is no consistent and supported leadership. This can be witnessed with many of the Southern Ontario claims such as Caledonia where the elected Band Council and the HCCC (Chief's Confederacy) are constantly at odds over who is in charge. Same deal here, many of the members have no regard for anything the Band Council does or says, they follow their traditional treaties and leadership.

Edited by G.mech

How much do they sell the walleye for.[/quote

Here in Massillon ohio I've seen between $15.99-$17.99/lb

Labeled "Canadian walleye fillets"

What lake they are from is a mystery.

The next time I'm at the store I'll snap a pic and post it

Ah ya...... No wonder

alot of the lake nip walleyes as well as bay of quinte walleyes are taken to montreal,and new york cities !!! for sale in restaurants and markets.....both the legal and illegal walleyes and yes the member above said right as well $14 to $20 dollars a pound...... kinda easy to figure out why the nets are getting more numerous and bigger all the time,like i said both legal & illegal big money big profit,lake nip doesnt stand a chance...

Edited by fishindevil

It baffles my mind how some people think FN are run.

Corruption, yes.

Greed, yes.

Favortism, yes.

But not on every FN.

And the band members can easily vote them out.

Council is not implemented by canadian government either. They are elected by memebers and are paid by honourarium.

Also, FN do not solely police themselves, MNR and OPP can easily step in without red tape.

Im gonna go off topic here and I hope it doesnt cause a huge backlash.

Aboriginals signed treaties that go back to england(and canada for all intended purposes).

Alot of their funding comes from "renting the land and resources of those who were here before settlements", not tax dollars.

And where tax doĺlars do come in, thats on the queen, so take it up with her.

And aboriginal governance is as transparent as can be, its all available online as ever band is audited every year. Do some research.

But here is one that I do not necessarily agree with. Some years ago my FN friend passed away. I was asked to clean his office. He had saved all documents for land claims, treaties etc.

In there I found an agreement. All FN that break Canadian laws, are to be dealt with not the same as other Canadians, but to exhuast all measures of rehab for their crimes.

Now dont get me wrong, i actually agree with this idea. But for all of canada not just FN.

Again, I side with nature. Leave Nip alone, EVERYONE

It's hard to imagine the Rez life..I grew up around several reserves ..hung out and worked with many aboriginals ...the drugs ..booze ...mental ..physical ..sexual abuse ,,I've seen many get caught in the trap learning from the elders and trying to do the proper thing is mis leaded by jealousy as the chief and council are running around in there new pickups ,mustangs,sleds and whatnot while your starving barely getting by..I'm not saying what they did was right ..what a terrible waste of resources..will the punishment be sufficient ..I doubt it ..will it happen again ..certainly