Need help from some of the Musky guys on here

quickme

After catching my first musky 2 years ago I've been Hooked. I splurged on a Calcutta 401D and couldn't be happier. I'm still new to fishing for the toothy critters but I now know why Musky fisherman are so passionate about them. What I'm looking for is advice on line (Mono vs Braid), lbs to use and whether my 6'6" MH simax wizard rod would be okay for now.

I like Mono and always will but braid seems more sensible because of its small diameter. I am alright with a baitcaster ( may 1 birds nest every outing 2 Max) but am afraid that if I nest it i'll be chopping off $50 worth of braid.

What would be must have baits in the box? Any advice would be great.

Edited by quickme

80lb or 100lb Powerpro

130-150lb floro leaders - 12" for casting, 18"+ for trolling

I would go with a minimim 8' rod, heavy action

Couple spinnerbaits

Couple bucktails (twin 8 and 10)

Couple cranks (9" Grandma is a good start)

Couple top water (Top raider)

Maybe a couple big plastics (tubes or bulldawgs)

That will get you started

Edited by Fisherpete

thank you. Any truth about Braid being hard on guides? I have also read that braid floats quite a bit at first so there's a "warm up" period.

Most guides made in the last 15 years will handle braid just fine.

Edited by BillM

Current rods and reels have guides and rollers that are braid safe. When braid first came out years ago this was not the case.

I have never experienced issues with the line floating - especially with big heavy muskie lures attached to the business end!

Pete

There's nothing like casting an expensive lure, getting a sudden birds nest and having the line snap.

Then come the f-bombs as you see your lure sink

And THAT'S the exact reason for the heavy braid :lol:

There's nothing like casting an expensive lure, getting a sudden birds nest and having the line snap.

Then come the f-bombs as you see your lure sink

How about in the midst of switching baits, thinking you've clipped on a new lure, only to toss it over board and watch it sink. Those are warranted f-bombs.

also I wouldn't worry so much about the birdsnest. the heavier braid is much easier to untangle a birdsnest should you get one.

definitely stick to 80-100 pound braid. you will be happy with it.

I would also make sure you upgrade your rod to something 8 feet or longer as pete suggested. heavy action if you are looking for just one rod. the new shimano compres are much lighter than years past and pretty affordable.

all the best with the muskie hunting. it certainly becomes an addiction

I always use 80# power Pro and a good strong leader. 100+ LB Flouro is what I am using now.

As far as the 6'6" rod - I think you would be more comfortable with a longer rod - especially for the fig-8.

I started out using 6' and constantly bending over the boat to perform even somewhat meaninful fig-8. That got to be a pain real fast.

I then went to 7' and a world of different even that much made.

Now I am using 8' and really like it.

perfect!! Thanks guys, Braid it is. As for the stuff in the classified, I was too late. Everything is gone so retail pricing it is for me.

pm me i have lots of baits to hook you up, i can send you pics via email of stuff i have ie lots of buctails if thats your thing, plus glides cranks jerks etc and top water too, and if you into a real challenge flies on a 10 11 or 12 weight fly rod, I just have to go through a couple of Lakewoods, might even have a couple of Hooker Jr.s let me know what you prefer to throw

and yes 80 to 100 pound braid will do just fine,

really appreciate the help boys! I've been looking at tackle industries rods but that's going to be in a couple years. I want a 2 piece as it will be hard to fit an 8 ft rod in the car. Got the simax rod for a steal of a deal and wouldn't have bought a one piece rod if it wasn't for the incredible deal. I think I'm going to hit scugog for musky opener to test out the combo.

On scugog all you really need is a MH rod and some larger spinnerbaits with beefy trailers and a few medium sized inline buck tail spinners. I've fished it a ton for all species, and while it certainly has musky, they aren't on the size level as some of the other kawarthas. I don't fish for musky a lot anymore, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over heading out to scugog with heavy bass tackle. I

Edited by porkpie

perfect!! Thanks guys, Braid it is. As for the stuff in the classified, I was too late. Everything is gone so retail pricing it is for me.

I would check out Sail, they have a 15% off fishing sale every month it seems. Good place to get a specific 'ski rod as well (St Croix/Fenwick/Shimano). A med heavy musky rod is not the same as a med heavy bass rod so go have a look.

I'm also a big advocate on a longer rod as it's better for longer casts and more general purpose. I would recommend an 8' or 8'6" heavy, fast action as a good place to start.

You've gotten some very good advice here. I might have asked you where you fish and if you mostly cast or troll before giving you advice. You should be ok with what you've gotten. Don't be negligent with release tools either. Have a great season.

You've gotten some very good advice here. I might have asked you where you fish and if you mostly cast or troll before giving you advice. You should be ok with what you've gotten. Don't be negligent with release tools either. Have a great season.

X2 on proper release tools, truly a difference maker in my opinion.

i would use 20 foot long cedar poles as a rod and tow truck cable for my set up.

c'mon really--- 100 lb braid -- we catch anything and everything including muskies

with 30 lb braid and a spinning reel ( yes a spinning reel) -can you believe it

-set your drag properly and play the fish !! --Enjoy the moment !! Trust me you will.

i would use 20 foot long cedar poles as a rod and tow truck cable for my set up.

c'mon really--- 100 lb braid -- we catch anything and everything including muskies

with 30 lb braid and a spinning reel ( yes a spinning reel) -can you believe it

-set your drag properly and play the fish !! --Enjoy the moment !! Trust me you will.

Oh no, there you went and did it....

???