Ganny Closed

chessy

As of today the west side of river is closed to all traffic including people the river blew out and its dangerouse the town has closed it till further notice.. I have asked that the ice be pushed back in river once it clears the town is up in air over that .. so till the ice is gone there will be no access south of the viaduct on the west side of river

Noon news showed the ice breaking up and their afraid it'll plug the river and flood over the banks the way it did 35 or so years back.

They've got some heavy equipment trying to break the jam up.

In case anyone doesn't know, the "Float Your Fanny Down The Ganny" is done every year to mark the anniversary of the flood.

They have had to scoop some ice from the river to keep it flowing, I'm sure if the river opens up you'll be able to wet a line around the piles lol

Cobourg-20150318-00258.jpg

Hamilton-20150318-00259.jpg

Edited by 206

Port Hope still in danger.

From the low wall almost to the old Bi way is huge broken pack ice. One chunk is hitting the road bridge under tracks the rest about 3 feet away. The trench is solid. They have a Hi Hoe across from the boat launch breaking ice. Seems stupid to start there should be down at guard rail.

A big loader is moving the ice away from creek edge to the far side of the parking lot.

The dam is solid. Basically from the file factory south let go. They started up stream because they know they can not make ice go out. They started upstream so they can now break pieces small so they have less chance to jam back up. Ali the reason they moving ice way from bank as they have no room to work invade the rest of the river blowes The town is very concerned over the next few days as even today was warmer than they did it was going to be

I'm trying to make sense here........

Port Hope, Ganny, ice jam, hi hoe there ,breaking ice,town scared !

Oh oh !

Am I right ?

Something like that, you forgot the part where the steelhead run is in full peak, with fish on redds, and then the town has the float your fanny down the ganny to honour a flood that was 35 years ago, which was not the first big flood they have experienced by the way, and the fact that its illegal to disrupt fish during their spawning migration (according to the MNR and the regulations) this is the same town council that tried to get a roe ban on one river (The Ganny)

A dam up by Kendal blew out 35 years ago causing a 10 ft wall of water to hit Port Hope. The same spring rain took out the Van Stone dam in Bowmanville.

Also soured the river of any silt. Witch lead to the greatest steelheading ever. The late eighty's.

A dam up by Kendal blew out 35 years ago causing a 10 ft wall of water to hit Port Hope. The same spring rain took out the Van Stone dam in Bowmanville.

Also soured the river of any silt. Witch lead to the greatest steelheading ever. The late eighty's.

that was also due to the construction of the fish ladder that gave the fish access to much better spawning grounds, and reproduction numbers tripled. the early 70s had runs similar to what we're seeing now. the late 70's have runs above what we have now, the early 80's it spikes to around 15-20,000, and maxes out in the late 80s at 25000

It has nothin to do with the river "silting back in". If you look at the angling trend you'll see right after 89 the steelheading boom took place. If you ask 90% of steelheaders out there when they started they will say the early 90's, it also coincided with Canadian Sport Fishing doing numerous steelheading episodes on G bay and Lake Ont tributaries. Not to mention that they we're naming specific tributaries and places they were fishing.

A specific example is the "S bends", in the late 80's you'd see the same group of guys there. Then one day it went from 6 to 30 guys. When I started asking around to my surprise most said they herd it from a Canadian Sport Fishing episode that aired the day before.

Rich.

Edited by Richard S.

you are just wrong good steelheading is all about recruitment

When did I ever say it didn't have to do with recruitment?! I was arguing the fact that you seem to think that the reason the steelheading population exploded and declined was the fact that the river "silted out" and then "silted back in". Im saying the reason it declined was because the amount of people fishing for them exploded and because of that the harvesting rate increased. The population couldn't keep up with it therefore causing a decline in strong steelhead returns.

Rich.

Right so you don't think that consecutive cold/wet summers plus stong year classes returning have nothing to do with it? Then how do you explain an increasing steelhead population since 2009? They increased because of cold/wet summers which created very little smolt die off which intern created strong year classes when those fish returned in 3 years.

Your also semi right on your years, the returning population fell a bit in 87 but peaked in 89 to a all time high at around 18,000 and steadly fell to an all time low in 2000. If you look at the harvest rates over those years you will see why the population fell, because it couldn't sustain itself with such a high harvest rate(5 fish limit) along with other contributing factors.

Rich.

Edited by Richard S.