What 'signals' the true beginning of spring?

Beavertail

where do the bullhead run? up the creeks like the others?

Yup...

We call em bullhead... They're small catfish.... A 2 pounder would be big

They come in the creeks and bite day and night... So you can fish em whenever you want... All you need is a hook and worm. and weight... I like using a float too...

Yup...

We call em bullhead... They're small catfish.... A 2 pounder would be big

They come in the creeks and bite day and night... So you can fish em whenever you want... All you need is a hook and worm. and weight... I like using a float too...

I know what they are lol, I just didn't know they came into the creeks so early. Or that they had a "run". I'll have to check em out whilst I'm waiting for other species to open

I was just out on the back deck and it's raining and 1st thing I thought of was this post.

Nice mild temps and the 1st rain of the year is always a good sign that winter is on the way out...and that's a good thing :)

I always enjoy the winter months, but for the first time in a long time I am really anticipating spring this year! Like mentioned in a previous post, I'm sure this mild weather is just a preview but I'm liking what I see so far! Can't wait to hear those Spring Peepers, then it's official.

I know what they are lol, I just didn't know they came into the creeks so early. Or that they had a "run". I'll have to check em out whilst I'm waiting for other species to open

Yup

I've seen them school up in creeks in such numbers that if you drive your boat up the creek you have hundreds of them swimming and jumping in front of the boat... Almost like Asian carp..

They also school up in bays..

As a starting point... Anywhere I've found crappie there have been bullhead around

2 things that make it "spring" for me.

One.... first time my tiller gets out and tills up my veggie garden. Nothing better then a spring day with the tiller going, birds chirping and the smell of freshly tilled earth. God I love that day every year.

Two...when my tarragon plants at the back door are about 12 inches tall. That means bullheads and crappie are a no brainer in a couple of my spring spots :clapping::clapping::clapping:

there was no snow here last night.

some of my signs are

• my first run of the year Harry Spring Run Off 8km (April 4)
  • also saw a swan while out on the lake yesterday
  • huts being taken off the ice
  • wearing rain gear to ice fish, did that yesterday
  • Chris K talking about going steelheading
  • Paying more attention to the Blue Jays then the Maple Leafs