First time building a garden

LostAnotherOne

Ok thanks. This location would actually be slightly uphill from the septic, but it seems to be the only logical area to garden.

Much of the yard is heavily shaded with apple and plum trees.

The space is limited with all the trees, we can maybe do 30×30

You will be fine.....everyone knows "crap" flows downhill! lol

Bernie, are you talking about "gets eaten right in the patch" by you, or by critters? lol My biggest fear about making a garden here at our place is that the rabbits will be the ones to benefit! I'm sure I would do all the work, but just be feeding the critters!

That sounds like a big bonus to me. Fresh bunny stew with veggies and herbs from the garden. Perfect

Cheers

Make yourself raised bed...fill it in with sheep compost. Dig it up/mix it with your regular soil well...brake it in small pieces. Build yourself a tunnel...cover it with plastic sheets. Plant immediately (you are about 2-3 weeks late) indoors tomato seeds. Best tomatoes I recommend are the pink brandywine type. Sometime in April start taking them out couple hours per day first and slowly increase so they get used to the temps and sun outside. By end of April plant outside in the tunnel. That way you beet the short Canadian growing season by about a month. You'll need that month in the fall. About that time buy and plant indoor cucumber seeds (dill pickles are the best)...they'll be ready to plant outside by mid May to May 20th. Make sure you have plenty of sun....water regularly....keep weeds out...clean out tomato plants by braking of the pieces that grow between the main trunk and the leaves. You can go buy seedlings from hot pepper (Ghost pepper is what I recommend if you like hot). In the fall before ground freezes buy local grown garlic and plant it....leave it in the ground over winter....next year in July you'll have perfect garlic...recommend Melody brand....make sure you buy from green houses some parsley, celery, basil seedlings and plant them as well around May 24 weekend. If you do all of the above every year you'd love the hoby and start eating some top quality vegitables and herbs not the garbage that is sold in the stores.

Here are few pictures to get you motivated from my own garden:

IMG_0700_zpsem6temnq.jpg

WP_000288_zps9jde4blx.jpg

WP_000297_zpsk6j38eek.jpg

IMG_0698_zpsabnqng4y.jpg

IMG_1064_zpsl0v6dnnj.jpg

20140729_173126_zpsbrswp2nr.jpg

Good luck.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Stagger your planting of beans. Say 3 meals meal in 1 week. So maybe 8-10 plants and then plant the next time about 10 days later. Same with carrots do 2nd planting about 2 weeks after first.

Then when your beans are done plant carrots. You can cover with 2 feet of straw before frost and go out all winter for fresh carrots. And they are the best tasting carrots. In the spring you just till the straw into soil.

Leaf lettuce same thing plant small amounts ounce a week.

...You can go buy seedlings from hot pepper (Ghost pepper is what I recommend if you like hot).

IMG_1064_zpsl0v6dnnj.jpg

Ghost pepper as recommendation? I wouldn't dare to touch/cut it with bare fingers, would never mix it into my meal.
What are you doing with that pepper? For me it is "not edible". :o

we like our small Loco pepper. It's rated ~25.000 scoville - Habaneros are between 100.000 and 300.000 For me, it's hot enough :)

Yeah, its all a matter of personal preference.

Peppers that are so hot you cant taste the food kinda irks me.

I like habenero because me dad grows them so its easy access. And I dont use alot.

When I make a fresh roasted tomatoe sauce one little dried sliver about the size of a dime does the trick. In chilis ill add two slices. Just enough heat to enjoy, and still be able to taste the food?

While ice fishing however ive been known to tuck one in my mouth for a few hours. Fresh though not dried

Edited by manitoubass2

Yeah, its all a matter of personal preference.

Peppers that are so hot you cant taste the food kinda irks me.

I like habenero because me dad grows them so its easy access. And I dont use alot.

When I make a fresh roasted tomatoe sauce one little dried sliver about the size of a dime does the trick. In chilis ill add two slices. Just enough heat to enjoy, and still be able to taste the food

While ice fishing however ive been known to tuck one in my mouth for a few hours. Fresh though not dried

Maybe the Loco Pepper is a good alternative. We use one small pepper in different recipes. Easy to dispense since it is small.

CT have the plants in spring. Maybe your dad like it since it is a attractive ornamental edible pepper

My wife loves the cherry peppers over all. Not very hot, but hot and lots of pepper flavour too.

No! Lol

Maybe ill plant some this year but my dad grows nothing less the habenero. Hes got no lil kids to feed and eats his food rediculously hot.

Last time I had wings over there I thought I was gonna choke to death lol.

Im looking at growing some indoors this year since its too late to build a garden

Loco pepper, added to my shopping list. Any idea if they have their seeds out yet? I would think so hey?

Edited by manitoubass2

Im looking at growing some indoors this year since its too late to build a garden

Loco pepper, added to my shopping list. Any idea if they have their seeds out yet? I would think so hey?

No idea about the seeds.

We bought a small plant from Canadian Tire, 1.99 or so, it's 2 years old now and in a bonsai pot on the window sill, just blooming

Peppers like small pots, a flower pot is good enough see my pic

Info for this pepper: http://myfolia.com/plants/5-chili-pepper-capsicum-annuum-longum-group/varieties/145631-loco

With all this talk about gardens, I thought I build a portable mini garden bed, for down at the weekend trailer. The park does not allow you to dig up a portion of your lot for a garden; which is another reason to make it portable.

So I collected some material and welded up this wagon frame; last weekend.

Planter 001.jpg

Planter 007.jpg

I still need to make the draw/steering bar and finish welding in the braces; but I ran out of argon for the mig welder, on Sunday.

Then I'll need to make a 12" high wooden box to fit the frame, that I plan on filling with about 8" of a topsoil and compost mix.

After that it should be ready for these little guys.

image13.jpeg

image16.jpeg

It surprised the heck out of me, how fast the lettuce, onion sets and beans sprouted and started shooting up; only after one week of being seeded. I may end up transplanting them to the bed, sooner than planned on?

I'll just have to make room here in the shop; until it gets warm enough to stick outside.

Dan.

Nice looking wagon work. Thought about something similar for my tomato plants at the cottage. The yard doesn't get enough sun so I gotta move them around to chase the sun. Please let me know as the summer wears on if this works for you. I had a couple of times where I never made it to the cottage so my plants went unwatered for 2 weeks. They all dried up and died. Unless you go every weekend I suggest you recruit someone to give them a drink when your not there.

Also your way to early for beans and they do much better direct seeded as opposed to starting seedlings. Direct seed Victoria weekend. Or have an option to cover them if you try earlier seeding.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

I've already built an automatic watering system for the wife's flower baskets; that I'll tap into for the garden. Her 6 hanging baskets are spread over the length of our 30 foot deck. Each basket gets approx 8 ounces of water, over a 4 minute period at 9am every morning. Planning on making a soaker design, rather than a mist type for the garden; that I'll be able to regulate the amount of water it gets.

What's Red Green's saying.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Dan.

Edited by DanD