First time building a garden

LostAnotherOne

This year I was planning on starting to build a garden in my backyard. Have no experience besides shovelling out an area in my parents backyard so my mom can start doing it. Looking to grow 2-5 different vegetables. I know it's the middle of March so not too sure when to start. Any advice would help tons guys. Thanks

Good soil, sunshine and elbow grease is a great start.

Start mulching everything from your kitchen except meat and dairy. Bury fish remains, great potassium.

Don't let weeds take over.

Soil with too much clay can be loosened up by tilling in manure, sand and loam. Soil should be well drained but able to retain moisture.

Do lots of reading.

I personally find gardening therapeutic and satisfying.

Lots of the stuff I grow never seems to make it to the house, gets eaten right in the patch.

It's all about the soil.

What are you starting with?

Should be rich with lots of organic matter at least 10 inches deep especially if you intend to grow root crops like carrots.

Most veggies need full sun.

At least 8 hrs/day.

Some you plant from seed in April

Some you plant as young plants in spring after risk of frost.

Nice to play in the dirt

All depends on locale, drainage, and soil types. I know a safe cheat is to build a raised garden atop whatever ground you have. That way you put down the desired siol with worrying about existing soil composition, and drainage does not become an issue.

With clay soils, it takes more than a year to properly blend and ameliorate the soil. One big disadvantage is people put in too much peat and manure creating a huge mud bowl with nowhere for the water to drain. The further north you go, the less you can grow unless you get into creative cheating.

We've got our first tomato seeds sown on the grow bench.

Edited by bigugli

One trick my dad taught many years ago was to plant whatever you want but once they start coming up plant carrot seeds in between where you normally would have weed growth. This way that area is taken up with edible carrots instead of pesty weeds.

BTW those carrots will store very well in the ground up until the ground freezes so even when everything else has been pulled at the end of the year those carrots should be left in until you need them.

The first year could be trial and error. You'll find out what does better in your garden and what doesn't. Sometimes year to year different plants seem to thrive while others don't. Every fall I put down manure, if you know a farmer composted cow manure, and leaves on the bed and let it all rot and break down over the winter. The beds should be rich dark earth with lots of worms. May take a few seasons to get there. Sunlight is a key factor for some plants like tomatos. Look into companion planting, some plants do better together, and rotate the locations every year. I don't use any chemicals and do OK with most plants.

If I were going to try this and especially for the first year of prepping the soil; rent a good sized rototiller for a day. One that'll have the strength to chew through anything, short of rocks.

Get all the compost (whatever you decide to use) spread it out on the plot; right on top of the lawn, weeds whatever. Then rototill the whole mess together; getting as deep as the tiller will go, 12 inches would be ideal.

While talking rototillers, I would also look into getting a small one; that will fit in between the rows. They're great for weed control and it will aerate the soil, allowing your plant's roots to easily spread. Even those $200.00 electrics that Cappy sells; believe me, it'll be your best friend out there.

Dan.

It does depend on locale & plants but a good measure is May 24 weekend, before that there is risk of frost at any given time. I grow chili peppers, start them inside & move them outside. Lately I've been stuck to container growing with no yard but can still grow monster plants.

I like the sounds of the carrot over weeds trick.

We're VERY amateurs about this, this will be our 3rd attempt this year. We have tomatoes, beans, peas, asparagus (yes, asparagus we inherited those when we bought this place and I've no idea what to do about them this spring to ensure they keep coming up healtyh) and strawberries and have tried peppers.

I've found weeds the biggest enemy. You'll spend a lot of time weeding. It can be a lot of work.

Strawberries!!!!!!!!!

Gotta love having them in your garden.

Depending how many seasons they've been in; you should dig them out and separate the smaller plants from the mother plant. Toss Mom or turn her into mulch and replant the kids; if you don't do this, after the 3rd or 4th season the plant will go wild and the berries will become smaller and smaller.

The first season with the fresh plants won't produce as many berries; but the 2nd and 3rd season you won't know what to do with all of them.

We use to have a couple acres of berries; that we'd sell to the local country store. It was mom's job to pick them and she'd put the money away to buy that next year's Xmas presents, for all her grandkids. Those brats got some real nice stuff. LOL

Dan.

We're VERY amateurs about this, this will be our 3rd attempt this year. We have tomatoes, beans, peas, asparagus (yes, asparagus we inherited those when we bought this place and I've no idea what to do about them this spring to ensure they keep coming up healtyh) and strawberries and have tried peppers.

I've found weeds the biggest enemy. You'll spend a lot of time weeding. It can be a lot of work.

Another dear old dad gardening tip.........the best time to weed your garden is right after a good rain. They come right out with no effort at all. But watch out for all those carrots you just planted :)

Edited by Mister G

Just a little tip if you are using "farm manure",instead of mixing it straight into your soil,make a tea by adding water to a container partially filled with manure.

Use the tea to fertilize.

Using this method will cut down on the weeds & clover seeds.

I have access to lots of very well aged horse manure,GF currently has 3 of these big yard ornaments (horses) & there have been horses on the property for 15+yrs.

Even the stuff from the oldest piles still contain lots of clover.

One trick my dad taught many years ago was to plant whatever you want but once they start coming up plant carrot seeds in between where you normally would have weed growth. This way that area is taken up with edible carrots instead of pesty weeds.

BTW those carrots will store very well in the ground up until the ground freezes so even when everything else has been pulled at the end of the year those carrots should be left in until you need them.

As will beets

I've had good results with tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers and hot peppers. I can't seem to do well with sweet bell peppers. Pumpkins will creep and spread all over the place.

Hot peppers, once the plants are established, can handle cooler night temperatures than sweet bells. Bells thrive on heat for fast fruit growth. No pepper like cool soil temps below 60F when planted out in spring.

We're VERY amateurs about this, this will be our 3rd attempt this year. We have tomatoes, beans, peas, asparagus (yes, asparagus we inherited those when we bought this place and I've no idea what to do about them this spring to ensure they keep coming up healtyh) .

Asparagus, is a perennial root best worked on in the fall. On the existing bed, a generous manuring is good, but the bed will grow old, less productive. Start another new bed. Dig up some of the root, and start in anther well fertilized trench. It takes about 3 years before you see any real result, but the old bed will have also been given a little natural kick in the meantime as it grows to recover from what you disturbed.

Another dear old dad gardening tip.........the best time to weed your garden is right after a good rain. They come right out with no effort at all. But watch out for all those carrots you just planted :)

But not if the plants you have are shallow rooted. You risk popping the plant if the weed is close beside and its root ball underneath.

A growers tip for tomatoes. If you want sturdy healthy plants you have to plant them deep. Buy a taller plant. Does not matter if it is a little spindly. When you dig your hole, depth of pot is too shallow. Bury the plant right up to the first branch. That entire section of stem will sprout root, making for a sturdier, healthier, heat tolerant plant.

Edited by bigugli

My dad's garden was 40 X 200. I grew up helping with that. When I got a house I wanted a garden as well. I would suggest you read up on the subject. After one winter of reading I knew more about gardening then what my father ever taught me. He wasn't afraid to work he just never had the knowledge to do things right.

My favourite gardening book is Garden Ways "Joy of Gardening" by Dick Raymond. Walks you through everything and I mean everything you could run into vegetable gardening. Well written and enjoyable to read. I would suggest you start with that or any helpful book you might find. It will guide you through a whole lot of wasted time and energy and help to give you a clear plan.

If you get into it this summer and have any specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM. I have grown more different vegetables then I am willing to type out here and I'd be glad to help out with advice if I can.

Edited to add. Gardening is like fishing or hunting. Do it because you enjoy it. Don't for a second think a little back yard garden is saving you any money. I've had a 20 X 34 garden in my back yard since the 80's. It's a bit of exercise and something I enjoy. But after really keeping an eye on ALL my costs involved I can say with 100% certainty that cost wise I would have been further ahead to just head to the grocery store.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

But not if the plants you have are shallow rooted. You risk popping the plant if the weed is close beside and its root ball underneath.

After doing this for MANY MANY years I have never uprooted a veggie plant while doing this. I was just trying to help the lad with time old proven tips from my dad but for some reason you seem to target everything I post.