Salmon Fishing

motv8tr

Hey all, for years I've wanted to try Salmon Fishing. This year I am working on making it happen. I am looking into Lake 'O' charters. Have any of you been on one? Can you recommend one over the other? It;s likely I'll only do a half day (6hr) charter, if so can you tell me if morning or afternoon is better,? Does it matter? I am hoping to take my best friend and more importantly her two boys on the adventure with me.

Thanks for you help

Maureen

IMHO hiring charter is not worth it. Did it last year for the first time for a group from my company and customers. Only got few bites through the day and I believe there were just 4 fish per boat. We rented 3 big boats (2x40' and 1x60'). 8-10 people per boat. It cost the company lot of money and most people with no experience Salmon fishing were happy, which was the goal of the event but for me it's waste of money if your goal is to catch a lot of fish. In almost all cases based on my experience I catch more fish than the charters. And I just run 4-6 rods all summer on much smaller boat than theirs.

My best advise is to go with a friend who knows what to do and where to fish. You'll likely get more fish, save your money and he'll be happy if you chip in for his gas.

On the other hand if you are going on a charter just for the entertainment...go ahead.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

Give Wayne Andrews a call at Andrew's Charters. He is top notch, the oldest and most experienced Charter Captain on Lake Ontario. He is a founding member of the Port Credit Salmon and Trout Association and just simply a class act. Tell him you want numbers or size and he will get you fish.

There is also Eddie at Square Tail charters.

I don't have their phone numbers handy at the moment but you can look them up. They are both based out of Port Credit Marina.

My own experience,is the morning bite is best.

Oh and if you get the charter during the Great Ontario Salmon Hunt, and manage to get a bruiser you can enter the Salmon in the derby.

I am one of the first mates aboard Salmon Express out of Port Credit. Last summer was a tough go anywhere along the north shore because the fish never made it to our end of the lake in the numbers we are all used to. we can attribute that to the cold winters and late spring. who knows what this year will be like. Rainbows were on fire as were the coho but we often had to work for fish and develop a pattern.

I wont try and sway you to go with us, just saying we are professional and try to give the customer the best experience possible. that being said Squaretail offers a top notch service and Ed is a real character, tell him "the teacher" sent you.

I like afternoons but depends on the time of year, i find we hook up with more kings in the morning and a mixed bag in the afternoon. Blue zone runs are always fun too, usually a little later in the summer. Quantity over size out there but you never know, plenty of derby winners caught in the deep.

good luck with your search. pm me if you need any additional info.

Thanks for all the suggestions, they are very much appreciated. I'll check them out and go from there. I want to catch fish for sure, that's a given but I also know there are days it doesn't matter what you do, they just won't cooperate. I am looking for an all around experience, that is kid friendly...kids being 14 and 11.

Maureen

Typically.

More likely to catch a salmon in early am

Before 8am

In the afternoon most captains run out to the blue zone. Mostly rainbows there but more likely to catch a fish than get skunked in close.

I prefer to stop and enjoy the fish fight.

The charter guys keep going because they have too many lines out to stop.

Then fish are torpedoed into the water with hopes they revive themselves. I guess most do.

Nothing like hand reviving a good fish next to a stopped small boat.

My opinion.

We always keep the boat in gear as well but slow it down, i find it helps revive the fish if you hold it boatside at a slow speed.

Ive never been on a charter so i cant recommend one. The biggest fish and the best bite for us always seems to be the evening bite, the magic hour before sunset.

IMHO hiring charter is not worth it. Did it last year for the first time for a group from my company and customers. Only got few bites through the day and I believe there were just 4 fish per boat. We rented 3 big boats (2x40' and 1x60'). 8-10 people per boat. It cost the company lot of money and most people with no experience Salmon fishing were happy, which was the goal of the event but for me it's waste of money if your goal is to catch a lot of fish. In almost all cases based on my experience I catch more fish than the charters. And I just run 4-6 rods all summer on much smaller boat than theirs.

My best advise is to go with a friend who knows what to do and where to fish. You'll likely get more fish, save your money and he'll be happy if you chip in for his gas.

On the other hand if you are going on a charter just for the entertainment...go ahead.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Sorry to learn of your experience here ice fisher

noted--we will follow your vessel going forward-relax-just kidding

2 cents

yes-see you have a pm from valued member 'Fisherman'-Really Good Guy

Captain Werner is a friend and runs one tight ship out of the Niagara Region-the man is a machine- and fishes 300 days a year-hard and soft water

Young Ryan Hare-i have had the absolute pleasure with MNRF folks to be aboard his former boat-prior to the 33' Tiara

What a passion-the kids unbelievable--good sandwiches too i might add

No substitute for doing your homework Miss Maureen

Aaron Shirley-forum member may chime in here

Peace

ID1

Yup, Ryan @ wepoundem without a doubt. Has the early season down pat! Also seems to always catch the giants :) Great guy, wouldn't hesitate to recommend him.

X3

Knows his stuff and puts clients on fish!

Class act all the way :)

Edited by kenzy31

I never stop the boat either, and I don't own a giant cruiser.

I always stop my boat as I like to just fight the fish mano a mano!!! :D

Besides most of time I'm alone and don't need to worry about the boats position when I should be concentrating on the fish @ the end of my line.

i stop the boat for every fish we hook.....

reduces the numbers, but increases the fun....

i'd rather go 6/7 than 9/19.

maureen, based on the age of your young guests, take a looong look at gavin's get bit charters.

if the fish aren't biting, and you can't find emil to follow, then you can rip around at 70mph. every youngster loves that!