When was it we all became "guys" NF, pet peeve

Come on " guys". I don't think anyone says calling someone older than you by their first name is disrespectful. I said a 5 year old calling a 70 year old by his first name wasn't right in my opinion. Mr. would be appropriate until told differently. And absolutely nothing wrong with greeting a group of friends or peers as Hi guys, is very appropriate. My question was when did waiters and waitresses and others calling someone they never met "guys". I said I called everyone Sir in positions Sr. to me when I went into the workforce out of High School probably from habit. All the male teachers were all called Sir or Mr. never Bob or Dave, all the female teachers Miss, Mrs, or Ms. as the ERA was an amendment to the US constitution was going strong in the US as well as the Women's Movement therefor Ms. was popular.

It was very interesting to see the gambit of opinions across the board.

Come on " guys". I don't think anyone says calling someone older than you by their first name is disrespectful. I said a 5 year old calling a 70 year old by his first name wasn't right in my opinion. Mr. would be appropriate until told differently. And absolutely nothing wrong with greeting a group of friends or peers as Hi guys, is very appropriate. My question was when did waiters and waitresses and others calling someone they never met "guys". I said I called everyone Sir in positions Sr. to me when I went into the workforce out of High School probably from habit. All the male teachers were all called Sir or Mr. never Bob or Dave, all the female teachers Miss, Mrs, or Ms. as the ERA was an amendment to the US constitution was going strong in the US as well as the Women's Movement therefor Ms. was popular.

It was very interesting to see the gambit of opinions across the board.

I really don't care what people call me. :) I do care about how I address other people though. BTW, your use of the word "gambit" is inappropriate in your last sentence. I'm sure you meant "gamut", didn't you? :)

Hypothetically, if I were to be working as a waiter, or retail, or wherever, and a guy and his wife come in, I can't really picture any other way I would address both of them at once other than saying "Hi guys!". To me, it seems to be the most natural way of addressing a male and a female at once, but I have homestly never thought about addressing groups people this thouroughly until now.

On a side note, I was at Cdn Tire earlier tonight buying some Seafoam for my outboard, and when I was paying, the cashier, a woman probably in her mid 50's or so, kept on addressing me as "sir". I thought it sounded pretty funny considering I'm basically a kid.

Hypothetically, if I were to be working as a waiter, or retail, or wherever, and a guy and his wife come in, I can't really picture any other way I would address both of them at once other than saying "Hi guys!". To me, it seems to be the most natural way of addressing a male and a female at once, but I have homestly never thought about addressing groups people this thouroughly until now.

"Guys" just seems unproffessional. Most servers will use it over and over. Same table. Same guests.

"How are you guys tonight? Get you guys something to drink? Everything alright here guys? Any dessert guys? Any change here guys? Thanks guys.Have a good night guys!".

As opposed to: "How are you folks doing tonight? Can I get you something to drink? Is everything alright here? Anyone care for dessert? Need any change here? Thank you and have a good night!

All bases covered without the use of the word "GUYS".

Petty perhaps but a little easier on the ears. Especially for those accustomed to something more courteous, professional and polite.

Edited by Roe Bag

Maybe calling elders by their first name is a mangiacake thing. When my wife (girlfriend at the time) introduced her Uncle's and Aunt's only by their names and not by Uncle John or Auntie Jane, I was like, "what the what!?!?" She's a mangiacake so its ok that I use this term.

All I know is I want my kids to greet people with a Mr. or Mrs. To each their own I guess lol.

Spring fever has set in if we're wasting valuable bandwidth and server space on this crap, lol.

The owner(s) of the board probably don't see it as such. 1193 views and counting. 65 replies.

Seems many here too would also disagree. Otherwise there would be little or no no participation.

Simply a discussion in the General Discussion Section of a Discussion Board.

Don't like it. Don't read it. Nothing good to say. Don't say it.

Winter Net! Springfever! Whatever! Oh the shame!

I was always taught that calling someone Mr. or Mrs. was a sign of respect, I could never imagine being 10 or 12 and walking into my friends house and saying Hi Doug, how's Linda? It just wouldn't seem right. Now that I'm an "adult" I will address people by there first name. I deal with a good number or seniors in my business and a lot of them are veterans, so if they come in and they are a senior or vet I will begin our conversation by saying "Hello Mr. Smith, can I call you John or would you prefer Mr. Smith." Most of the time they will say "Mr. Smith was my father and John is just fine." I just look at it as an initial sign of respect, nothing more. Its the way I was raised same as please and thank you and holding the door for a stranger. What I find with young tykes that friends have, instead of them calling me by my first name only they call me uncle matt, (even though there is no blood relation) which is a lot easier on me feeling my true age and that I'm not 19 anymore. It has never done me a dis-service to address someone by Mrs, Mr, or Sir, and right after the introduction ask them how they would like to be addressed, its surprising sometimes to find out what name they would like to be called, one time an individual came in around the age of 87 and went by the name "Scoops" apparently it had something to do with ice cream from his child hood in the 30's and his whole life that's what he was known as, and as weird as it was to address a gentlemen that many years my senior I respected his request and from there on out he is just "Scoops". So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I will teach my children to address there elders as Mr, Mrs, Sir, and if that person would like to be addressed by a different name then that would be perfectly acceptable. When I went to school I called my teachers by Mr, Ms, or Mrs, not there first name, but when I went to school I feared/respected my teachers, knowing any report to my parents may result in a tanning, I don't know if that's so common anymore.

We had to go into town this afternoon and while there decided to stop at a restaurant for an early supper.

Waitress came to the table and said Hi GUYS, my names Julie and I'll be your server.

1/2 way thru supper she stopped by and said hey GUYS, everything OK ??

We paid our bill and Julie said thanks GUYS, glad you enjoyed your meal.

Great waitress in a nice restaurant but I couldn't help laughing while I remembered this post :lol: