When was it we all became "guys" NF, pet peeve

The world is changing fast.

Sometimes things like this bug me but overall kids are still awesome - I know first hand as I am a teacher.

Things change - I try no to, (but sometimes still do), rant or go one of my monologues over these things cause it makes me realize I am turning into a grumpy old fart.

Landry

46 and still trying to act 26 whenever I can:)

The world is changing fast.

Sometimes things like this bug me but overall kids are still awesome - I know first hand as I am a teacher.

Things change - I try no to, (but sometimes still do), rant or go one of my monologues over these things cause it makes me realize I am turning into a grumpy old fart.

Landry

46 and still trying to act 26 whenever I can:)

Growing old is a requirement, growing up is optional! No matter how old I get I refuse to grow up!

Growing old is a requirement, growing up is optional! No matter how old I get I refuse to grow up!

It is not optional. I ain't growin up and nobody's gonna make me!!

Want to see the worlds biggest collection of old children? Go to a Gilwell reunion for scouters up at Blue Springs.

And these kids are the biggest advocates for respecting one another. Any of the membership here remember the "law of the wolf cub pack"?????

Just don't call me Ma'am :)

Growing up (now almost 65) we always said ma'am.

Still use it to this day. "Can I help you with that ma'am. I'll get that for you ma'am."

Really don't understand how it came to be considered demeaning or derogatory.

In my time it was out of respect. Simply being polite.

In my day a "dude" was someone that dressed in fancy clothes and went out and strutted his stuff.

Now everybody's a "dude". So, what do I know?

Edited by Roe Bag

My boss always says ,whats up dude. And he,s 15 years older then me. Dosent bother me,as I always say whats up dude or what up byes, if I know you. All other are still sir to me,but I hate when someone says sir to me.LOL

Growing up (now almost 65) we always said ma'am.

Still use it to this day. "Can I help you with that ma'am. I'll get that for you ma'am."

Really don't understand how it came to be considered demeaning or derogatory.

In my time it was out of respect. Simply being polite.

In my day a "dude" was someone that dressed in fancy clothes and went out and strutted his stuff.

Now everybody's a "dude". So, what do I know?

Same here, it was always meant as a show of respect for me. I'd hate to think I was insulting all those women all these years :dunno:

Ma'am can interpreted as an old reference... Which as we all know the ladies hate to hear.

Don't see why it would bother a 29 year old like Joey though.

Yes, it seems like you're old when you are called Ma'am. Miss or Mrs. are okay, but Ma'am is just old!!!

And yes, we 29 year old's don't like it :)

I was taught to call people older than yourself Sir or Mr or Mrs. It was considered a sign of respect. They're older and often wiser so using the formal term acknowledges that assumption.

Many kids today are taught that they are just as important and valued as anyone else so don't call older people by the formal names; in fact use their first name if you can. Wonder why the younger people have less respect for elders than their parents did. Blame it on the parents who convince the kid that the cop, teacher, doctor, etc are no better than him/her.

Oggie, none of the aforementioned occupations are no better than younger people. They may have proved that they have the ability to attain a good respected, in most cases, position but as far as importance I think everyone is as important as the next person. Pick up a newspaper or read on the world wide web some in positions that in the past were supposed to garner immediate respect have screwed up, big time. I remember some years ago I went into my Dad's Dr's office with him and questioned some of the things he was prescribing for my Dad as well as the way he spoke down to him. My father went up one side and down the other on me afterwards saying " You can't talk to a Doctor like that!" Yes you can Dad, he is no better than you or I. He still thinks professionals are to be held in higher esteem than others. Respect is earned not based on title. One can respect the office but at the same time not have respect for the individual. Prime Minister comes to mind. This particular "professional" I do not have respect for. My father changed his tune when he found out this MD ,rightfully I must add,pulled his drivers licence without talking to him about it first.

As one of the youngest members of this board at 18 years old, I definitely refer to groups of people as "guys" all the time. It's not something I really think about, it just seems like the best and easiest way to address a large crowd of people imo. Whenever I meet friends parents/my parents friends I always call them Mr./Mrs. when I'm addressing them, until I'm asked to call them by their first name (usually they laugh and tell me to call them by their first name right away anyways).

I'm currently studying civil engineering at McMaster University, and what I think is really funny about some of my peers that will also be professionals in the next few years, is the way some of them dress and act.

I'm not allowed to say or even hint at some of the names they call eachother without even thinking about it, and I find it kind of funny that somebody attending university finds it perfectly fine to go around wearing a baggy white T-shirt capable of covering a bed mattress, a snap-back baseball cap, and $300 tennis shoes. Idk about everyone else, but thats certainly not the type of person I'd be looking to hire if I was recruiting a team of engineers to design a bridge that thousands of people would be using every year. But thats a whole different convo on it's own.

Idk about everyone else, but thats certainly not the type of person I'd be looking to hire if I was recruiting a team of engineers to design a bridge that thousands of people would be using every year.

If I was looking for someone to design a bridge I'd be interested in his credentials and past work history. not what his style of clothes were.

But that's just me.

Sorry but I still fail to understand why there is any disrespect in calling anyone older than yourself by their first name? It's what everyone else their age or older calls them. It's what their bosses call them. It's what the government calls them. Why are we wasting our time debating titles here? Working retail calling someone sir/ma'am formalizes the relationship right away and doesn't offer a chance to actually have a conversation. When I walk into a store (admittedly I'm not old enough to be called sir, and I wouldn't want to be anyway) I don't want the greeting to be formal, I want the staff to be inviting, like old friends, you would never greet friends as sir would you?

Sorry but I still fail to understand why there is any disrespect in calling anyone older than yourself by their first name? It's what everyone else their age or older calls them. It's what their bosses call them. It's what the government calls them. Why are we wasting our time debating titles here? Working retail calling someone sir/ma'am formalizes the relationship right away and doesn't offer a chance to actually have a conversation. When I walk into a store (admittedly I'm not old enough to be called sir, and I wouldn't want to be anyway) I don't want the greeting to be formal, I want the staff to be inviting, like old friends, you would never greet friends as sir would you?

And when he talks to me,he say hello Brian. I have no issue with that AT ALL..

The youngest guy on the board has the best reply LOL

Yes, it seems like you're old when you are called Ma'am. Miss or Mrs. are okay, but Ma'am is just old!!!

And yes, we 29 year old's don't like it :)

Perhaps this may help you see ma'am in a different light.

The dictionary defines ma'am as:

ma'am

- noun: ma'am

- used to politely speak to a woman whose name you do not know.

- a term of respectful or polite address used for a woman.

Can also be used:

- as a term of address for a ranking female officer in the police or armed forces.

- In Britain as a term of address for female royalty.