Can't go South anymore so we are thinking of going West

Big Cliff

Well, due to Sue's health issues and the fact that because of them we can't get reasonable health insurance for her; (best quote we could get was $1000.00/day and there were a lot of exclusions) we are thinking that we might go West.

We checked with OHIP and she would be covered for up to 212 days anywhere in Canada so we started looking at B.C. for next winter. We need a place that has good medical facilities, isn't too remote, but we want to be on or very near to the water.

I would like a place where I can go pier or shore fishing (really don't care what I catch), and it would be nice if there was some place I could go and dig clams and things like that that wasn't too far away. I love living off the land where ever I can.

I have strated trying to research places, Victoria area seems to be looking somewhat interesting, it is considered one of the warmer areas of BC.. I'd like to rent an apartment or a small house or condo probably for Jan. Feb. Mar..

This is in the early research stage, we are looking at next winter but with the vast wealth of knowledge and experience available on this board starting anywhere else would seem foolish.

Any and all input would be much appreciated.

Big Cliff (or just BC) LOL.

Check out Tofino. It is absolutely beautiful there.

A little further North than what I was looking for and a little more remote but you are right it does look beautiful!

Everyone I know that has ever been to Victoria has said they love it.

Could you ask some of them about the cost to rent an apartment or condo and what about fishing opportunities. Any help would be much appreciated!

victoria is your spot, its warm and beautiful

It sure looks like it would fit the bill, cost is going to be a factor, some of the condos I have seen so far were up to $4000.00 a month. I wouldn't pay that for a condo on Clear Water Beach!

Can't go wrong with Victoria, but if your looking at the interior, Kelowna's nice.

Kelowna is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in Canada but I am looking to get as warm as I can in Jan. to March LOL.

Everyone I know that has ever been to Victoria has said they love it.

Sooke is a beautiful place, been there and loved it. Lots of fishing opportunities and likely find something a little cheaper then Victoria. But keep in mind it would be difficult to compare the rental prices between places in Florida that has a glut of rental properties to somewhere on the southern part of Vancouver Island.

Yes it is spendy there but nice. :D

The input I have had is mainly from people here @ work.

There are quite a few that have been there for work or play and have enjoyed it.

Can't say about the fishing but you're on the island so there are plenty of opportunities from the beach to bass lakes.

If you want something less $$$ you will need to get away from the city.

My wonderful in-laws, not being sarcastic here a guy couldn't have asked for better, lived in Victoria and I have friends there as well and have been going to Victoria for 25 years. Cliff the prices they are asking for a nice room there now is not in my budget. Now of course that's depending on the accommodations. Mom and Dad moved to Qualcom Beach around 98'. It is north but the fishing from shore and from the pier was fantastic in March. The major airlines fly from TO direct now so that really saves on a ferry or puddle jumper.I have not been there since 04' so can't comment on prices now but it was less than Victoria then. I don't know what your budget is but as HTHM pointed out be prepared for sticker shock. I stayed at their place doing some remodelling for 3 weeks and was absolutely floored at the price of everything from lettuce to ladders. It's an Island, everything has to be shipped or flown in, no rail or roads.

Off topic, the 100 year old cottage that was rotting from the bottom up was purchased for 85K sold for 600K for the lot alone in 06' after my wifes step father passed.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I'm from Victoria Cliff, my parents, sisters and their family's still live there. I go back at least once a year. Beautiful place. great fishing fresh and saltwater.

As for a place with what you are looking for you might want to try areas like Gorden Head, Langford and Langford lake, Beaver and Elk lake, Sidney, Goldstream, and as Smokestacklightnin said Sooke all areas are just outside of city limits. Once you get into the Duncan area you would be looking at a different weather system, colder and snow.

I don't think you would be disappointed anywhere in the Victoria area. My wife and I have travelled a fair bit, and is still her favourite place to be. If I can help at all don't hesitate to ask.

Wow, some great responses, thank you all so much!

Glen, we love Florida and Myrtle Beach but to take a chance and go without insurance would be gambeling our entire future. My sister was in hospital in Las Vegas for three days, the bill was over $45,000.00. Thankfully she had insurance. I have heard too many stories of what it can cost in the US without insurance, we wouldn't take the chance.

In trying to find someplace warmer for us to get away from winter but still stay in Canada the Victoria area seems like the warmest alternitive.

Highs for today:

Victoria +10

Myrtle Beach +5

Lindsay - 10

Mr Blizzard & Mike, I will deffinatly take you up on your offers once I have more specific questions to ask, thank you so much for the offers! Can't think of a much better way to spend a cold winter day than planning on how to spend it in a warmer environment :)

If it were my choice, I would choose Sidney. I travelled there a few years ago for work, and if I wasn't married with kids here, I would never have come home. Stunning part of Canada.

Close to Victoria, so you have all the convenience of the city, with the small town atmosphere. Very close to good fishing, and the people were very nice.

This fishing pier was right in front of my hotel, and is within walking distance from almost everywhere in town.

P4263103.jpg

P4263102.jpg

The atmosphere and lifestyle out there is amazing. I would choose to go there to the states any day.

Edited by steelhedrmatt

Wow, some great responses, thank you all so much!

Glen, we love Florida and Myrtle Beach but to take a chance and go without insurance would be gambeling our entire future. My sister was in hospital in Las Vegas for three days, the bill was over $45,000.00. Thankfully she had insurance. I have heard too many stories of what it can cost in the US without insurance, we wouldn't take the chance.

In trying to find someplace warmer for us to get away from winter but still stay in Canada the Victoria area seems like the warmest alternitive.

Highs for today:

Victoria +10

Myrtle Beach +5

Lindsay - 10

Mr Blizzard & Mike, I will deffinatly take you up on your offers once I have more specific questions to ask, thank you so much for the offers! Can't think of a much better way to spend a cold winter day than planning on how to spend it in a warmer environment :)

Last year when I was in Florida with my old man he became ill and spent 3 days in the hospital to the tune of $17K.

He has insurance from through his old company since he retired though.

I also have insurance through my work but it only covers 80% out of country so I top up with: http://www.medipac.com/

Victoria is nice enough but it is still a CITY, with lots of TRAFFIC and CONGESTION.

I am sure if a person lived in Toronto, they would find Victoria to be a charming, laid-back place with hardly any traffic.............but in comparison even to Kingston, the traffic was an issue when I was there two and three years ago. Both times for short visits, did not stay there for a month or anything.

As others have said, up island is gorgeous but it might not be as warm. But my buddy in Campbell River had to mow his lawn last week..........

Doug

Victoria is nice enough but it is still a CITY, with lots of TRAFFIC and CONGESTION.

I am sure if a person lived in Toronto, they would find Victoria to be a charming, laid-back place with hardly any traffic.............but in comparison even to Kingston, the traffic was an issue when I was there two and three years ago. Both times for short visits, did not stay there for a month or anything.

As others have said, up island is gorgeous but it might not be as warm. But my buddy in Campbell River had to mow his lawn last week..........

Doug

What a terrific online angling Community this is here @ OFC

Priviledged to hang out with you 'Characters--Term of endearment i can assure you

Family Friendly--and mostly devoid of Rudeness and on 'Tar get' with welcoming new fishers irrespective of gender--age or angling ability

Stand By:

sorry

Not much to add here Cliff and Crew

but have 2 cents to contribute

Yes Shag--it is a City to-be sure Sir

Victoria is well 'Beautiful BC' personified --bring cash--lol-it's true--maybe not rugged enough for you Cliff--medical logistics/access are absolutely top shelf in Victoria

Haven't a clue as to costs

The Sooke -SSL suggestion- believe -is clearly worth investigating for you and your lady--got to ensure that medical piece

of-mind is there for you guys

My eldest Brother aka as His eldest Brother-lol-lives in Powell River BC which i am blessed to visit 2x a year

It's a life -style thang i guess--He grows tomatoes as we all do in our family-fishes every opportunity he has and water tests 'LEHR'-- Propane Marine Engines

My vote

Google Powell River

Have a wonderful weekend ALL

The world has no shortages of asses--tuffen up--Play Safe

Let us know where you land Cliff

Thanks

Paul

ps.--got some Burk' Falls Transplant-- Back-gammon player having a challenge coping with the thievery in Beaverton ON--of all Places--Then we are off to

Bracebridge

Dogs in Tow

p.s. our very Own Barefoot Wader ? is a wealth of info on all things British Columbia to my knowledge

Feel free to PM me--Mod Art has my contact info Cliff if we may be of any assistance to you and yours

Edited by icedude

For anyone depending on their benefits from their workplace just be aware most have a maximum. Ours is 100K for life, now that I have been drawing on it for 15 years and top up isn't doable once retired I'm down to 22K, that's regular prescriptions and dental, It adds up quickly. A friend was under the assumption there was no max and had a rude awakening. Had he or his wife taken ill they may have lost everything. There are even stipulations in the fine print for pre existing conditions for company plans. Ask.