What Are Some Tips On Internet Buying? (N. F.)

Photoz

Although I've owned a computer for over 20 years, I still almost need to look at the manual to just turn it on & off! I have a decent HP printer that HP quit selling ink cartridges for about 6 months ago . . . . there are THOUSANDS of these cartridges on the Internet, and since I couldn't get one ANYWHERE in the GTA, I decided to throw caution to the winds, and ordered 3 cartridges from a place in California. They were $25.00 Cdn. cheaper, even with shipping & handling than I had been stiffed for in Canada. I had a few small problems, but I did get my GENUINE HP cartridges in 6 days. I just don't understand why I got those items, that I ordered from a California company, sent to me from a company in Georgia? The next thing I need, is an 'el cheapo' fax phone, again they are close to 40% cheaper than they are here? What if I gave my VISA number to some damn crook who goes out and buys a new car with it? How could I recover my money?

I've never seen this topic discussed here . . . . what are some of your experiences, good or bad . . . . and what should a fella who just climbed off the ol' turnip truck look for when making a purchase off the 'net? Are there any Nigerian princes selling some of these items, or do they only do Internet scams?

I've used amazon with NO problem at all for the last three years or so.

I buy my ink cartridges from inkjetsuperstore.ca. They are very cheap and come right to your door within a few days. Again NO problem

They have combo packs, I just got reg $74 for $24. Shipping is always 9.95 no matter how many you buy.

Is that place in CA 1ink?

I have never had a problem buying on the internet. I have never bought a single thing off of the internet. I am a Dinosaur and don't care. I almost set up a Pay Pal account. I was told many years ago by a sharp computer science guy with his PHD, never enter any info on the internet you wouldn't put in a box in your front yard for anyone to see.

I have never had a problem buying on the internet. I have never bought a single thing off of the internet. I am a Dinosaur and don't care. I almost set up a Pay Pal account. I was told many years ago by a sharp computer science guy with his PHD, never enter any info on the internet you wouldn't put in a box in your front yard for anyone to see.

LOL.... great advice.

Too bad all your information is already on the "internet" in multiple places too. How you ask? Every bank, government payment from or to you, utility service, you have paid for by debit, cash, cheque or charge, in the the last 10yrs for sure was entered and IS online in one form or another.

Most store transactions wind up online too unless you paid cash and refused to give your name....

Here is another one that will shock you. There are no physical property deeds in Ontario anymore they are out there in cyberspace now (heard this just yesterday when the lawyer came to have my parents sign off on the deal for selling their house) When you buy a property now you just get a code to access a digital copy of your deed... Unless the lawyer was wrong. LOL.

Lastly as of 2016 all your government payments will only be made to you by direct deposit, which is done over the "internet". Soon after that you will HAVE to file your taxes electronically online too or your accountant will.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDUQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ctvnews.ca%2Fby-2016-no-more-government-cheques-by-mail-1.794886&ei=XWj3VNiCEa6asQS0mYDwBQ&usg=AFQjCNHJsIv7ZBhXAjjhV1eTGZCkU-H_5w&bvm=bv.87519884,d.aWw

Edited by Canuck2fan

1. For online purchases, stick with reputable big name companies if you can. I deal with Cabela's, Bass Pro, Rollie and Helens Musky shop, and other reputable retailers. I still like to call a company first and talk to a real person who understands my language and what I'm talking about. (without getting politically incorrect)

2. Have and use a credit card with a very low limit and use that credit card specifically for internet purchases. It's not like you'll ever purchase items worth many thousands of dollars sight unseen over the internet. This way if your card info is stolen or used inappropriately, your losses are minimized by your low limit.

3. Be careful who you give the code to at the back of the card. Again, you should deal with creditable companies. If you are scammed or your info is stolen and used, the financial institution will often refund the loss. But I have heard of more cases recently where the bank or credit card will not reimburse you after you have given up all your info to some scammer. Although misled, you did so voluntarily and it's considered your problem. Same goes for if you give your debit card PIN to someone and they make unauthorized withdrawals from your account.

4. Nigerian scams often involve wire money transfers. Be very cautious when asked to forwarded any funds thru a wire transfer. You can consider that money gone for good if you have been scammed. Occasionally the money is picked up in Ontario and you may have a very slim chance of finding out who picked up your money, but if it's outside of the province or outside the country, you are screwed.

Edited by Andy

Internet ordering can be both a headache and a pleasant cost saving experience if you do your homework.

For something like 7.00 per year I have a prepaid BMO mastercard I use just for this purpose. IF there were to be any problems it's only good for the balance i put on it and no more than that. Plus if I have any issues the usual card holder's protection applies.

But to feel a bit more secure about who or what I may be ordering from I try and find independent site reviews on the product and the seller.

If the seller's site only shows POSITIVE reviews I'm usually a little more leery than if there were at least some "lesser" reviews.

When it's something I may want to order frequently I'll try a small initial order if it's practical to do (not always) before I pull the trigger and go nuts.

As for ordering from CA and shipping from GA - that could be a good sign if you think about it, multiple locations means better established business and larger available inventory to draw on.

Then there's always the option to ask for input from members on sites like this...someone somewhere might just have done whatever you're thinking of and has specific experience to relate to you - I see it all the time on here!

Watch out for shipping and border clearance (customs) charges - especially with UPS and FEDEX, always go with USPS when you can. Canada Post charges 9.95 for customs clearance and collects the HST on any items it clears. I've heard horror stories on here about customs costing over 100.00, plus HST plus shipping, often exceeding the value of the item!

Michael

When in doubt, use a pre-paid credit card. If you know you are about to buy a $100 item then go pick up a pre-paid card and use it so they can not take more cash than the $100 on the card.

Guess I should've mentioned mine is reloadable thru my bank account so I can keep the balance exactly where I want it to be. No user fees beyond the 7.00 per year although it does count as an item when I transfer money onto to it from chequing, but I get something like 10 items free each month so that doesn't really bother me. I can do all that from my computer without having to go out and purchase one of the other ones - just something I find a lot more convenient. AND because it's issued from a bank I deal with I have full cardholder protection just like a regular credit card, not sure how even the prepaid VISA ones handle that, but it's something I don't have to consider an additional worry.

While I don't order as much now, since I started using this method a few years back (when I was still operating) I haven't had even one problem other than a short shipped item which was immediately credited back to the card once I notified the vendor.

Michael

You'll get screwed using your CCard at the local gas station long before it happens online Steve... and if it does, it's the credit card companies problem.. not yours!

Now if you're still concerned.... PM me your credit card number, expiry date and name on card. I'll give Paymentech a call and see how much I can run it through for on my merchant number!!! :whistling:

Canuck2fan,

Thanks a lot! Now I am going to have to find a piece of land somewhere up north and squat and live off it. I was considering using a pre-paid credit card to use as well. The problem is I don't have much, who am I kidding, I don't have any disposable income to spend on stuff on the internet anyhow so it really is a moot point. I have enough stuff, actually I need to get rid of some of the crap I bought in my life. And now US Steel is saying we may be loosing up to 30% of the pensions we earned because of bankruptcy of US Steel Canada.

If anyone needs any VHS tape re winders PM me.

It's not that big of a deal. Just use resources like this forum to find where there are reputable sellers. Also, Paypal is the best way to purchase anything online. They have their own customer protection in place on top of what the credit card companies offer.

Stick with the big online retailers and smaller ones with a reputation.

As for CC problems. I have a lower limit card dedicated for online shopping. You know what? That card has NEVER been compromised, but all my other cards (debit and CC) have been several times (one just the other day in fact). It's just as Irishfield said, gas stations are the worst culprits.

What's a VHS tape re winder? LOL! Must be some kind of computer device?? After reading this post yesterday I phoned my credit card company (TD Canada Trust) to enquire about the reloadable cards. I also asked about security if fraud was committed - the person I spoke to stated it was not necessary to purchase such a card because TD would cover any losses I may incur due to fraud.

On a side note has anyone here done business on line with a company called "Nail Gun Depot" from Cincinati Ohio? Thanx for your comments.

Steve, I have bought quite a few items on line and as of today never had any problems! I did have my Mastercard compromised though (not through an online purchase) CC company too care of everything, immediatly issued a credit for all the transactions and issued me a new card no problem.

As for needing a new Fax/Phone, why not just go to Staples and buy a new printer/scanner/copier, you can get one for under $100.00 that will do all of it and you can scan things, save them as a PDF and email them or you can fax them and you'll have an up to date printer too.

I've used amazon with NO problem at all for the last three years or so.

I buy my ink cartridges from inkjetsuperstore.ca. They are very cheap and come right to your door within a few days. Again NO problem

They have combo packs, I just got reg $74 for $24. Shipping is always 9.95 no matter how many you buy.

Is that place in CA 1ink?

My Visa statement was billed by inkjet cartridges.com . . .

I buy online alot.....I have had my credit card compromised only once. The made a smal purchase at the USPS site to test the # and then try'd to buy $2500 worth of camera gear from Henry's photo.

I called the bank all freaked out....The lady at the bank laughed at me and they took care of it. It was just another day at the office for them I guess, $2500 is peanuts to a bank.

So now I never fear using my card although i always thought of getting a seperate card with lower limit just for online purchases.

Oh and my ink I've been getting from http://www.abacus24-7.com/ it works well and price seemed fair.

Steve, I have bought quite a few items on line and as of today never had any problems! I did have my Mastercard compromised though (not through an online purchase) CC company too care of everything, immediatly issued a credit for all the transactions and issued me a new card no problem.

As for needing a new Fax/Phone, why not just go to Staples and buy a new printer/scanner/copier, you can get one for under $100.00 that will do all of it and you can scan things, save them as a PDF and email them or you can fax them and you'll have an up to date printer too.

Hi B. C.

Now you're gonna see just how dumb I can be . . . . my computer already has a fax . . . . way y y y back when I bought the computer I tried, and had 2 other people also try to hook the fax up, I ended up cleaning EVERYTHING off the hard drive . . . . I had to bribe the sales person to put it all back to a fresh start! I also have a decent scanner, which is great for copying pictures, but I've been fighting with W. S. I. B., Canada Post and over a half dozen other government agencies, since I originally banged up my heel in 2006, 4 knee surgeries and counting! I type ALL communications, & copy them to various other agencies, and put them in a 4" binder . . . I have 2 full, (600 pages each) and about half a third one . . . . this would be quite difficult to do (I DID try) using scanned pages of text. I've likely killed a small forest worth of trees by now. I also have an excellent printer. I know your suggestions make a lot more sense than he way I'm doing it, but I do know where every document I've sent is . . . . Thenk-you for taking the time!

I buy online alot.....I have had my credit card compromised only once. The made a smal purchase at the USPS site to test the # and then try'd to buy $2500 worth of camera gear from Henry's photo.

I called the bank all freaked out....The lady at the bank laughed at me and they took care of it. It was just another day at the office for them I guess, $2500 is peanuts to a bank.

So now I never fear using my card although i always thought of getting a seperate card with lower limit just for online purchases.

Oh and my ink I've been getting from http://www.abacus24-7.com/ it works well and price seemed fair.

Just did a search there for my ink and agree the price is very good. Noticed they offer cartridges either with or without "new chips". I'd be leaning toward the "new chip" ones for my HP Photosmart. Wondering what you ordered for, what you bought and how it worked out for the customs & USPS charges.

Thanks!

Michael

Hi B. C.

Now you're gonna see just how dumb I can be . . . . my computer already has a fax . . . . way y y y back when I bought the computer I tried, and had 2 other people also try to hook the fax up, I ended up cleaning EVERYTHING off the hard drive . . . . I had to bribe the sales person to put it all back to a fresh start! I also have a decent scanner, which is great for copying pictures, but I've been fighting with W. S. I. B., Canada Post and over a half dozen other government agencies, since I originally banged up my heel in 2006, 4 knee surgeries and counting! I type ALL communications, & copy them to various other agencies, and put them in a 4" binder . . . I have 2 full, (600 pages each) and about half a third one . . . . this would be quite difficult to do (I DID try) using scanned pages of text. I've likely killed a small forest worth of trees by now. I also have an excellent printer. I know your suggestions make a lot more sense than he way I'm doing it, but I do know where every document I've sent is . . . . Thenk-you for taking the time!

Do you need to received faxes; or, just send them?

A dedicated fax machine may offer some advantages over a printer/scanner when it comes to receiving faxes. I don't think they have any advantage in sending them.

With my printer, I don't have to scan pages to be faxes later. I can just set the printer to fax and send the pages directly. It has a sheet feeder, so I can send multiple pages in one fax. It may be able to receive faxes too; I have just never bothered looking into that feature.

Hey Old Dinosaur, it's me again.......you find another one to be close to....LOL

But anyways, the wifes credit card and mine were compromised by..........wait for it............wait............none other then Walmart at their store not online......and you know what, it has happened a few times more online and off......and each time the credit card company called us and told us we suspect illegal activity on your card and could you please verify if you made these purchases. And each and every time the credit card companies just voided the sale and sent us new credit cards in a couple days.

My biggest complaint was when I took the wife out for dinner at a real fancy restaurant and they took my card and never came back with it. I called over the waiter after waiting 20 minutes for him to return my card and he said they were having trouble with their card card service and it would be just a few more minutes which it was. HOWEVER, the restaurant charged me twice for the same meal. Contacted CC company and they put a stop order on it and cleared it up with the fancy smacy restaurant.

So if your'e not using your CC to it's fullest you are not being protected against crooks OR gaining points for FREE STUFF in the near future.

Edited by Mister G

Although I've owned a computer for over 20 years, I still almost need to look at the manual to just turn it on & off! I have a decent HP printer that HP quit selling ink cartridges for about 6 months ago . . . . there are THOUSANDS of these cartridges on the Internet, and since I couldn't get one ANYWHERE in the GTA, I decided to throw caution to the winds, and ordered 3 cartridges from a place in California. They were $25.00 Cdn. cheaper, even with shipping & handling than I had been stiffed for in Canada. I had a few small problems, but I did get my GENUINE HP cartridges in 6 days. I just don't understand why I got those items, that I ordered from a California company, sent to me from a company in Georgia? The next thing I need, is an 'el cheapo' fax phone, again they are close to 40% cheaper than they are here? What if I gave my VISA number to some damn crook who goes out and buys a new car with it? How could I recover my money?

I've never seen this topic discussed here . . . . what are some of your experiences, good or bad . . . . and what should a fella who just climbed off the ol' turnip truck look for when making a purchase off the 'net? Are there any Nigerian princes selling some of these items, or do they only do Internet scams?

BTW if you want you really don't have to purchase new ink cartridges. You can refill them yourself or depending on where you live there might be a place that can do it for you for a bit more money then doing it yourself but less money the new ones.

Just did a search there for my ink and agree the price is very good. Noticed they offer cartridges either with or without "new chips". I'd be leaning toward the "new chip" ones for my HP Photosmart. Wondering what you ordered for, what you bought and how it worked out for the customs & USPS charges.

Thanks!

Michael

the ones i got had chips, my printer I got 12 cart. 35bucs and it came right to my door with no added charges.

If you want a fax machine and some free printer rolls for it, please send me a note. It is NOT COMPATIBLE with phone service that comes over the cable company's lines (Cogeco in my case) but it did work with Bell. All I would want for it is the shipping.

Doug

the ones i got had chips, my printer I got 12 cart. 35bucs and it came right to my door with no added charges.

Yeah mine are a bit more - gotta check with them to see if the 8 pack for 39.00 (still real cheap!) has the new chips or not - otherwise I'm looking at a bit more, but still bunches less than OEM. I'd probably go with just one set on a first order just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for the info!

Michael

Thanks!

Michael

I just got my Visa statement . . . . it turns out they charged me in American funds . . . . @ 30% exchange (normal way of doing business I suppose,) but they were still quite a few bucks less than I had being paying up here? I have the 'PhotoSmart' HP 8450 printer. As for 'chips' and other computerese, I have no clue about them.