New to me Mercury Mariner 2 hp 2 stroke outboard!!

I also have a 30 lb thrust minn kota as well as a massive marine battery and smart-charger, so I'm covered for any of those stealth situations where you gotta sneak up on the fish as well. That thing is just annoying because the battery will drain after a couple hours of trolling, hence why I got the gasoline motor

I had a 2 horse 2 stroke Yamaha for years, amazing motor. It shouldn't sound quite as loud when it's in the water running, but yeah they're a tad noisy. I'd run some seafoam through it if it was me.

That sounds like an idea!, I keep on hearing all these guys raving about how great seafoam is for cleaning up engines. Would I just be mixing it in with the gasoline and letting the motor burn through a full tank? Should be quite the smokey show me thinks.

You're not going to go through much gas with that little outboard so it might be a good idea to run seafoam all the time, can't hurt, only help, it won't be smokey,

premium, no ethanol gas for sure

I'm far from an expert but have had outboards all my life, I'm close in Oakville if you want to bring it by and we'll run it in a barrel and check it out, I promise I won't try to steal it :)

Edited by chris.brock

That sounds like an idea!, I keep on hearing all these guys raving about how great seafoam is for cleaning up engines. Would I just be mixing it in with the gasoline and letting the motor burn through a full tank? Should be quite the smokey show me thinks.

Yep add some to the gas and let it run for a while.

• 1 month later...

I run the Mercury stuff in my new engine but just run the stuff from Canadian Tire in my older engines.

I change lower unit oil in the fall when putting the boat away for the winter.

Depending on how much use your engine gets and the quality of the water you run in will dictate how often you need to replace your impeller.

I generally wait longer and replace about every 5 years. I don't suck a lot of dirt or mud in my engine though.

The guys out West that run glacial rivers need to replace them every year because of all the silt in the water.

If you don't use the motor for a long time the impeller will take a set and not seal as well any more.

Edited by DRIFTER_016