Making homemade fluorocarbon leaders…...

Billy - Curtiss

I have just purchased some 60 lb Seaguar, barrel swivels, and duo lock snaps and I am going to attempt making fluorocarbon leaders for the first time ever. Searching the internet, I cannot seem to find much in the way of tips. I'm thinking of making them a foot long a piece and I'm not clear on what the best knot would be to use. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

I'm not sure how much my reply is going to help you, but I made 80 lb. fluorocarbon leaders for pike fishing for my NWO fly-ins, and they turned out great. I crimped a barrel swivel to one end, and then just a coastlock snap to the other end. I like the coastlock snap better than any other, but to each their own. The coastlock snaps I bought came with a barrel swivel attached to them, so I had to cut that off, because I found no need for having 2 barrel swivels on my leader (none of the expensive pre-made ones do either, and I was trying to replicate them). The last thing I did to make the crimp even more secure, was to carefully use a lighter and burn the end of the fluorocarbon after I had trimmed it close to the crimp, so that it created a mushroom that could not slip the crimp. They have worked amazing to this day.

I had the same questions you do when I made some 80 lb flouro leaders. I initially used the Crawford knot, but I found that it seemed to have inconsistent knot strength in lower lb tests with mono. So I now use the perfection loop. I've tested it and it holds up great.

I have made a few leaders with a short length (3-4") of 124 lb single strand wire at the snap end, and for these I used the canoe man loop knot. It's very easy to tie and it seems to be consistently strong in lower test mono. There are videos and photos on the 'net. It's commonly used by saltwater guys, so it should work for us freshwater fellows as well.

Andy

dont kid yourselves, any lb fluoro can be bitten through. pike & muskie teeth are serrated like razors. the odds of it decrease as you go up in lb, but it can still happen.

you want 100% bite proof, use wire.

i still use fluoro, primarily for blades, but use wire (single strand bicycle spoke stuff) on my jerkbaits and coated multi strand on trolling leaders.

Edited by Raf