Silver Lake

Dondorfish

While travelling to Ottawa, to look at a new boat, I came across hwy 7 past silver lake. It is just west of Perth. Anyone have any info on this lake? It seems to be a nice area. Going to Ottawa on saturday morning I saw 1 small boat out fishing , but on the way back, in the afternoon, there was noone.

Thanks

Don

You can launch at the public picnic area just West of the Provincial Park...mind you that looks exactly from where you took that picture of one of the only two islands out there.

Haven't fished it. See guys there in the winter as well ice fishing. Suspect Lake Trout..

Don I have an unfair advantage. I was born in Peterborough and my father was transfered to Sin City (Smiths Falls) when I was 9 months old... to open a new Loblaws store there. I've travelled that road so many times... My mother is still down there, and daughter now also going to Carleton, so I go by there 3 or 4 times a year in each direction.

No idea on the depth...it just has that look to it of one long deep creavasse !

Oh...and does the island still have a for sale sign on it?

Edited by irishfield

Thanks Wayne - I have never been to Ottawa that way - so it is a new area to me. I am very impressed with the area thou. i plan to go back through there again this saturday if all goes well - maybe take a rod and some tackle and give it a shot from shore.

Don

Didn't see a for sale sign.

Edited by Tracker

Stop and fish the current of the Mississipi River just west of Carleton Place as well...while you're at it. :Gonefishing:

And if you like good squeaky cheese curd be sure to stop into the gas station in Kaladar....

Edited by irishfield

Hey Tracker,

I live in Ottawa and have fished Silver Lake a few times. Here is a bit of info for you...

The maximum depth is 80 feet, with the average being 34 feet. 5,000 lake trout are stocked annually, but the last stocking record I have is for the year 2002.

Smallmouth bass are the main species here, as well as lakers, pike and largies. I have been told from reputable sources that the lake supports some HUGE largemouth bass (6+ pounds). Lakers are mainly fished during the ice season, but many folk do hit them come spring time, with the majority trolling spoons or cranks, either flatlining or downrigging.

The lake also coughs up some big perch and gills, with many trophies coming through the ice.

The Mississippi River Irishfield spoke of can be a great walleye and bass spot. It is a fish sanctuary from March until the first Monday in June. (She opens tomorrow..)

Good luck and great fishing,

Justin

The wife and I were there last season and we have planned a 13 day stint at the provincial park there for the first 2 weeks of July. She used to go to that lake with her girlfriend as kids, they rented a little cabin (still standing on the left side of the rest area, but in rough shape nowadays). Had some really good smallmouth action there just out a bit from the park's dock (off the rocky point) with jig/grubs and plastic worms). While cruising down to the west end of the lake, the sonar was reading some fish hugging the bottom (approx 60'), I presume lakers...

This year really plan on seeing about some LM action as well.

Also gonna go down the road and try out Sharbot Lake while there. We really like that area and were looking at real estate in the area, plan on getting a chunk of land up that way in next few years with maybe potential to build later on, but will be great camping spot till then.

The pic on my profile is from Silver Lake last year :) Also attached one of a early morning before I pushed off the dock.

Silver_Lake_2006_025__Small_.jpg