Anyone in Cayo Santa Maria Cuba Feb 28-Mar5

bonessk01

Been there a couple times now. What resort are you staying at? There are some good shore fishing spots for sure. Ive never done a guide, mostly because I hear they arent that great there. We had lots of fun fishing from shore. Im headed back the first week of april.

S.

There is good fishing right from that resort. There is an outcropping of rocks between the two beaches that can be good, and if you go all the way to the end of the beach closest to the main resort, the fishing in that channel can be awesome! Also take a troll on the hobie cats. Some of the operators won't let you take fishing gear, just find the right guy, and have the right amount of CUC's and you'll get some good trolling in for cuda's. Good luck!!

You can also rent bikes and go touring the bridges. I forget what numbers they are, but there is a good one just before you get to the resort on your bus ride out....have a look. Good fishing, and a pretty main channel. Night time is usually best. Fish the incoming tide and you'll have all sorts of action. Bring LOTS of line, hooks, and weights of various sizes from small to very large. You never know what you'll need, depending on whats around while your there.

Post a report, and let us know how ya make out!!!

S.

S.

• 3 weeks later...
Well heres my report

I really would have liked to fish the #9 bridge but virtually everybody I talked to at the Ensenachos resort told me not to do it as the fines were 4800$ and loss of tackle. I even had a local taxi booked to take me out tues mar 3/15 in the evening but when he got to the resort he refused to take me when he heard I didn't have a permit to fish there!?

Don't have a clue what permit to fish he was talking about. my english and his spanish didn't help comunications whish to heck I could pick up this language.

Anyway I fished every morning from 4 am to 9am( This put me in the flooding high tide) off the point at the north end of ensenachos beach

I saw shark, sting rays, cravalley, baracuda and bone fish but i could not get anything to bite what I had with me. the locals told me to goto live bait but all the live bait tackle I had taken with me I had given away on the first day never thought to keep any for myself. wind s were constant and high in the area I was fishing so I didn't even try my fly rods stuck with a 30lb rod rigged with 30lb power pro and used rapallas,3/4 oz jigs with grubs in white and red, and topwater plugs

Thoruoghly enjoyed the area though can't wait to go back.

Most of my problems were not being able to leave my wife alone for the time it would take to get to the best spots to fish.

Heard from a couple of fellows at the Ensenachos that also went to the bridge that had caught 20-40lb Cubera snapper during the week and had 15-20lb baracuda on the charter boats so obviously I can't blame the fish.
I'm already back at work!

Enjoy your day!

Bill

Hey Bill. WAs there same time. Not much life off the beach at the Starfish resort. Only the occasional pelican diving

Trolled from a paddle boat for an hour mid day. Got a light hit. Probably a young cuda.

Too chicken to rent a scooter and go to the bridges. Busy road with lots of trucks and buses.

Didn't know was illegal to fish ?

• 2 weeks later...

Aldolfo, Alberto and Juan on the ensenachos beach were really helpful to me

I left them each a bag of tackle , wish I had taken more but ran out of weight limit!

start off by catching small bait fish with same tackle you would use to catch panfish up here

keep increasing the size until your onto really big fish is the only other thing I can think of that I didn't do!

Saw most of my fish at the north end of the Megano beach