Electric ice auger for more than 36" of ice?

Bluegill

An Ion will cut through 36" but you won't get 40 holes. Also you want to keep the batteries warm when south of 28C. If the battery is really cold the auger may start and stop for a few minutes until the battery warms up by discharging. The ion does come with a extension for thick ice and huts raised off the ice.

An Ion will cut through 36" but you won't get 40 holes. Also you want to keep the batteries warm when south of 28C. If the battery is really cold the auger may start and stop for a few minutes until the battery warms up by discharging. The ion does come with a extension for thick ice and huts raised off the ice.

Your own experience?
Would be happy with 8 holes in our solid ice. A bit south of -15C is cold enough for me.
Edited by Bluegill

I did 15 holes last year up on nip with my 18 volt deWalt using a 6" finbor 3 and with one charged battery.Yes, 36" of ice. Guys here are my wittness.

This year I am using this, with the 4.0 Ah battery

miln2607-22ct_a.jpg

miln48-11-1840.jpg

It,s got the balls to allow me to use my 8" this year.

I have managed to drill up to 30+ holes through 16" of ice so far with one battery and still have 2 bars left.

Keeping the batterys warm is a huge help.

Edited by Brian B

I did 15 holes last year up on nip with my 18 volt deWalt using a 6" finbor 3 and with one charged battery.Yes, 36" of ice. Guys here are my wittness.

This year I am using this, with the 4.0 Ah battery

miln2607-22ct_a.jpg

miln48-11-1840.jpg

It,s got the balls to allow me to use my 8" this year.

I have managed to drill up to 30+ holes through 16" of ice so far with one battery and still have 2 bars left.

Keeping the batterys warm is a huge help.

Sounds good!

Brian, I read the reports you wrote here in OFC.
Also I read more about the ION auger in the internet.
It seems, I should look at an electric auger by the next season. My shoulder would be happy.
Tnx

Sounds good!

Brian, I read the reports you wrote here in OFC.
Also I read more about the ION auger in the internet.
It seems, I should look at an electric auger by the next season. My shoulder would be happy.
Tnx

I have yet to try that Clam adapter thats out there for the cordless. I just tuck the drill into my hip and let it go. Im sure the Clam adapter would be just like using the Ion IMO.

The advantage of using the cordless,you can use it all summer long as well. ;)

I have yet to try that Clam adapter thats out there for the cordless. I just tuck the drill into my hip and let it go. Im sure the Clam adapter would be just like using the Ion IMO.

The advantage of using the cordless,you can use it all summer long as well. ;)

Is it that thing?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/electric-ice-drill-adapter-0788167p.html

Have you ever tried a 8" Jiffy auger with ripper blades instead of the finbor?

My Friend burned out his Dewalt 18 volt drill last week turning his 6" Nils auger. After replacing the drill he plans on getting the Clam Ice Auger Conversion Kit. It is designed to take the stress through an industrial bearing and save the drill.

The adapter makes no difference to the drill. It just makes it easier to hold thats all. I still free hold my drill with the 8". Just tuck it in to my side and let it drill the hole. You can,t force these like you can a gas jobber. Let the blades cut on their own.

Edited by Brian B

Located in Saskatchewan we are drilling through 30-40 inches on -20 days right now with 8 inch Ions

Keep the batteries in a small cooler with a heat pack wouldn't go back to gas for anything

the most holes Ive drilled has been 25 but there was still battery left I just got tired of drilling instead of fishing

Located in Saskatchewan we are drilling through 30-40 inches on -20 days right now with 8 inch Ions

Keep the batteries in a small cooler with a heat pack wouldn't go back to gas for anything

the most holes Ive drilled has been 25 but there was still battery left I just got tired of drilling instead of fishing

Right on.

No need for smelly gas oil and pulling and pulling when it wont start.

I like the fact,if my batteries die,I still have the handle to crank some holes if need be.

The the ION have that option?

And welcome to the board.

Edited by Brian B