heads up for the 16th (fishing related)

manitoubass2

Taking a large group of us out to cooks. A lot of my families first time ice fishing. My grandfather's mouth is watering at the possibility of all the perch he will have to fry up.

Good on ya jeremy!!!

Dont forget our elders or disabled!!!!

Edited by manitoubass2

Maybe just me (I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but I'm willing to debate and be swayed)

Should they really be hosting fishing derbies on family fishing weekend? The lakes are already going to be getting enough pressure and it allows guys to enter derbies who don't have their licence and may not know the best catch and release practices.

Maybe just me (I'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but I'm willing to debate and be swayed)

Should they really be hosting fishing derbies on family fishing weekend? The lakes are already going to be getting enough pressure and it allows guys to enter derbies who don't have their licence and may not know the best catch and release practices.

Ive hosted derbies on family day.

Smaller derbies though.

The anglers have been nothing but awesome! Even had some 2 year olds out last year and you as the derby director, just make your rounds and help teach them.

Id rather families be out fishing and enjoying nature. Sure you might lose a few fish but thats a small drop in the bucket compared to giving a kiddo the fishing bug and spending a day away from screens and video games.

Derbies are kinda the easiest way to ensemble the people with no experience.

To me its a win win.

But my derbies are small, 100 people usually.

A much bigger one may pose more problems?

But if Ive had one family have a blast, ill sleep good at night.

Its about nature, family and teaching the kids.

To me thats nothing but positive?

Maybe your right Jeremy84. I'm sure a lot of guys are going to be taking the fish home without a license, but its legal unfortunately. It's also ice fishing so you may not get a whole lot of people barring the weather. In the end the lakes will take a hit, but for the cost of spending time with ones family. No big loss. Maybe it will turn more people into fishing which will increase the revenue in sales from licenses so the ministry can hire more officers. Just my two cents bud.

trying for the wife, son and his girlfriend

Anyone know of a spot withing 30 minutes of Oakville, that is less than a 10 minute walk and has a Tim Horton's with free wifi.

Island lake is probably your best bet. Might be an hour but fullfils all of your requirements.

That's fair with the smaller derbies. I may be imagining a worst case scenario I just have this horrid vision of some guy in his mid 30's greesing out some poor 5 year old to get this biggest fish in a derby.

Thanks jeremy!

It was awesome! The support was nothing short of outstanding!

Unfortunately I had to cancel this year because we lost a great community member and his family wanted to hold a derby in his name. And after much thought I believe the respectful thing to do was cancel mine, and direct traffic to his(they shared many friends)

But I still had some unreal donations this year and it will all go to youth anglers! Miigwich to those that donated, you know who you are!

I just love doing these derbies man, everyone has fun, their so appreciative and it just warms my heart.

But I will be back next year with the best derby I can possibly organize