Salmon Jigging - Rod / Reel / Lure Recommendation

Afraz

Hey Guys,

As the title reads, i need something with backbone but enough feel to know what my jig which can range from 1 ounce to 3 is doing as per the following videos:

All advice / recommendations appreciated !

Afraz

West Coast mooching rod and reel, buzz bomb, classic set-up out on the left coast.

Fishing with John Slade many years ago on Lake Ontario, various ports, if we were downrigging and marking fish, but they weren't hitting, we'd stop the boat and jig spoons straight down with the rigger rods and reels, they worked just fine. No need to buy new gear..............unless you WANT to!

Doug

Edited by akaShag

Well glen, that is an interesting perspective, and might come as news to a couple hundred thousand West Coast anglers. Including those folks in the Tyee Club. But I see from your picture that you are an "All Knowing Angler" so perhaps you can expound somewhat on your pronouncement?

Just curious...........

Doug

7'6" medium heavy spinning rod (with soft tip).

4000 sized spinning reel.

12lbs braid and fill the reel as full as you can.

you'll need the braid to feel the jigging in deep water.

there is a fella (maybe he'll chime in) that jigs lake ontario for lakers....and he does quite well.

you likely will not catch many, if any, kings, but you sure will find the lakers....

back to glen....................................

.......................to whom is your question (without a question mark) posed, if indeed it is a question: "How good is your free spool." If that is a response to my last note, I am afraid I am not following you. Of course, an "All Knowing Angler" might speak in riddles, which us lesser mortals may not follow. If that is the case, fire away.

Doug

i think his point is, if your going to jig in deep water, how does one use a mooching reel, as you are letting your bait free spool to the bottom?

mooching reels (which are excellent for their intended use btw), would not be best for this purpose.

a bait caster or spinning reel would be easier.

simply open the bail or click a button, and down your jigging spoon goes.

8' one piece Loomis GL2 Backbounce rod, model # BBR 966 C GL2 8'

The difference between this rod and a light musky rod is the slightly moderate action of the tip. Perfect imo for the application you described.

Thank you for being specific :)

I am going to look into this model, any reel / lure suggestions ?

Thank you for being specific :)

I am going to look into this model, any reel / lure suggestions ?

As far as reels go personally I'd use a round baitcaster. Lots of good ones on the market but if you can afford one I'd say a 300 size Daiwa Luna. They're a step up from the Calcutta B series imo and would be perfect for your needs. If not the Daiwa Luna then an ABU Record.

No idea about lure suggestions I've never done it.

We actually jigged for suspended Walleye 2 years ago on Erie. 4 passes through a screen full of fish and not a hit I was going to loose it. Used the line counter and put a snap wt. on it with a 1/2 oz. swim bait. Believe it or not we nabbed 2 nice 8 pounders. Why not I said? Never thought of Salmon. Line counter was perfect to get to the exact depth.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I do this ever now and then off Bronte and learned this technique fishing the ditch that ran off the one end of the Ridgetown at Port Credit. You can use the same outfits as you would use casting the bigger fall spoons off the piers. I run an 8ft spinning rod rated for 12-20 and a 4000 series reel. I tend to think that this is a shallower water technique (less than 40-50ft) so the need for extremely heavy jigs over 1 oz would be limited.

The key to this is to have a harbor or rivermouth area that will have structure to group fish up and hold them. Something that is more prevalent in the bigger US harbors

1oz stuff works well enough - crocodiles, castmasters, moonshine, cleos

If you drop shot for smallies you're pretty much 80% there now. You can always chase a big fish in a boat. I like the braid to help with feel as you'll have salmon swipe at the bait and miss every now and then. Plus it does help with line capacity on the 2500 or 3000 size reels if you get a screamer.