Tiller Motor Question

Afraz

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get an emergency backup motor while i am out chasing kings or anywhere really but moreso, for LakeO fishing.

I got a small little boat, 16 ft with a 75 HP main motor and about 1200 lbs boat and motor.

With gear and Passengers i figure i am looking at 1600 - 1700 lbs tops, i need a 4 stroke that can push me at 4 mph for trolling use, and be a reliable motor to get me back to shore in case something were to happen.

I've googled and googled for info but can;t seem to figure it out, my hull draft is very shallow, no deep V here.

Here's a picture of what it looks like:

http://www.boats.com/listing/gallery.jsp?entityid=126119031&mid=2527&ceid=329371&galleryBack=%2Fboat-details%2FWellcraft-160-Fisherman%2F126119031%3Fr%3D126119031%26entityid%3D126119031&pic=1

Thanks Guys

Afraz

Your going to want to pick your days on lake O in that boat.

After spending last summer in a 21 foot trophy, i have a pretty good idea of what to do, and what not to.

Common sense, and good judgement is key.

But i can't justify a 200 Liter fill up for poor seasonal variations, so it was best to downsize and be able to gain access to other fishing grounds that the big boat wasn't able to get into.

But still want to try my hand at kings and bows so your advice in terms of kicker options is paramount in helping me decide what to get.

Would a 2.5 Hp - 4 HP 4 stroke not be enough ?

EDIT: JBacon, i'd like to know how much HP would i need in a 4 stroke motor to push that weight at a Max of 4 MPH

Edited by Afraz

that's not a lot of boat for two motors, especially if your main is near the max rating for the boat. I would be looking very carefully at how much weight you have on the rear, and making sure you will have decent free-board at the transom, especially if you are planing on rigging on Lake O - because when its time to net the fish, you will likely have two guys back there as well. That may well limit your options.

If you are buying used; a 2 stroke will be lighter.

If you are buying new I would look at the motors designed for sail boats. These are designed to push a larger boat at slow speed rather than put a car topper on plain. A purpose built kicker motor would be ideal; but they are usually at least 9.9 hp.

A kicker motor plus I-Pilot should give you great control; especially if you ever fish by your self. That is what I eventually hope to have. I am hoping to get the kicker this year.

that's not a lot of boat for two motors, especially if your main is near the max rating for the boat. I would be looking very carefully at how much weight you have on the rear, and making sure you will have decent free-board at the transom, especially if you are planing on rigging on Lake O - because when its time to net the fish, you will likely have two guys back there as well. That may well limit your options.

To answer your question, yes the boat sits very low to the water, but in most cases it will just be 2 people on the boat at any given time, v.s the 4 shown here:

01616_1lu1xNFzE1q_600x450.jpg

01212_b8EYNPCQ9GM_600x450.jpg

If it works for you, great. My last boat was a 16 foot deep V, and I found it small on the Lake. My new one is an 18 ft deep v with a 115 and a 20, Max rating is a 150. It sits low and I have put ballast in the bow. As you know even when you pick your days a swell can come up in a hurry, and with the free board in that picture, well. not a lot between you and the water is there?. You're a few miles out with that and a wind comes up, its gonna be white knuckles and wet ankles the whole way home, best case. I'd be putting a marine radio with an 8 foot antenna , a sea anchor, ditch bag and an electric trolling motor before I thought of a kicker. but hey, what ever floats your boat....

Food for thought...

If you want a kicker to troll with, get one with the exhaust below the water line and I would start at 8hp for good control. If you're looking for something just to get you home when things go horribly wrong, a 4-5hp will do...provided things don't go wrong on a bad weather day.

I would be skeptical putting a kicker on that boat but if you have your heart set on it.... From the picture, you might need a long shaft on a bracket to keep the powerhead out of the water. The weight shouldn't be a huge factor provided you don't need another fuel tank and battery. A pull start tee'd into your main fuel line would be ideal. Motor and bracket will be less than 100lbs. Get in the habit of landing fish on the opposite side of the boat that the kicker is on

just get a yamaha on the back...you won't have to worry about back up power.

i run a 17' lund and have been using yamaha's since 2004.

i have not been stranded or broken down once on lake ontario....

i just read your thread about your intention to jig.

if that is the case, you won't be heading too far off shore...which is a good thing :)

If I'm not mistaken by the pictures you put up, you bought the boat with the busted merc off of kijiji. That looks more like a flats boat to me, but I suppose we are all entitled to take chances. I know I fished lake O from a 14 footer once in a while many years ago. I would think a 4 or 5 hp would be sufficient for emergency power on that rig, but I don't think I'd go to far off shore!

If I'm not mistaken by the pictures you put up, you bought the boat with the busted merc off of kijiji. That looks more like a flats boat to me, but I suppose we are all entitled to take chances. I know I fished lake O from a 14 footer once in a while many years ago. I would think a 4 or 5 hp would be sufficient for emergency power on that rig, but I don't think I'd go to far off shore!

I actually have it up for sale, but until she sells - i plan on adding extras to get her ready for spring so that i can have my fun !

Elite 7 HDI, HDS 7 GEN 2, Downriggers, Trees, Wire Less Bow Mount Trolling Motor - it's all coming, just collecting it till the weather warms up for me to install.

Busted Merc ? not sure what would give you that idea. But i wanted something on the side, because my last boat broke down 3 times, and my 14 HP tiller saved me. It happened to be a Merc Mind you, 10 years older then what i have on now - but Mercs will be Mercs, and i rather be safe out there.

I came across a 6hp long shaft a couple of years ago and put that on my 17fter. (which would be in the ballpark of the weight of your boat) I was concerned about the power to push the boat around as I was using a 9.9ph short shaft. To my surprise the 6hp works like a charm. Trolls down nice and has enough power on the choppy days to move you around just fine. By choppy I'm taking about a 2-3ft chop, much more than that and I really don't like to be out there any ways.

If it works for you, great. My last boat was a 16 foot deep V, and I found it small on the Lake. My new one is an 18 ft deep v with a 115 and a 20, Max rating is a 150. It sits low and I have put ballast in the bow. As you know even when you pick your days a swell can come up in a hurry, and with the free board in that picture, well. not a lot between you and the water is there?. You're a few miles out with that and a wind comes up, its gonna be white knuckles and wet ankles the whole way home, best case. I'd be putting a marine radio with an 8 foot antenna , a sea anchor, ditch bag and an electric trolling motor before I thought of a kicker. but hey, what ever floats your boat....

Everything SC says. Your vessel is not suitable for a kicker on Lady O.

I guess everyone that doesn't think that (nice mind you) rig is not a Great Lakes rig is a bit older than you with some stories to tell. Me included.

To answer your question I would not put a kicker on that boat. By the time it's rigged out with all those accessories and put ballast weight at the bow you are close to exceeding or have exceeded it's max weight after 2 fisherman and soda pops. In the pic the waterline is very, actually too close to the top of the rear now. A good backwash wave and you are done. And that's before you put that 35 pound King on board.

All this may be moot, do you even have enough width on the transom to mount a small kicker? I had just enough on my 19' er.

A big roller up the pipe on that boat and she will stand on end and be swamped !!! Yes I have almost 30yrs experience on Lake Ontario !!! I would really rethink your scenario .... Don't want to see you in a bad situation !!! Just my 2 cents worth ...

Yep...what he said!

Ive seen big rollers come out of nowhere and nearly swamp the boat.

S.