Toronto Sportsmen Show

Kawartha Kev

Actually, it opened yesterday. I have been down at the TUFA (Toronto Urban Fishing Ambassadors) for the last couple of days.

I don't think the Spring Fishing and Boat Show will have any more to offer than the Toronto Sportsman Show. Most of the exhibitors will probably be doing both shows. It is not the show that it used to be; but the Spring Fishing and Boat Show isn't the show that Toronto Sportsman Show used to be either.

There is not as many tackle dealers as there have been in the past. Tightlines and Rerries who have always had booths in the past are no longer in business. Overall, I think that Walmart, Canadian Tire, Sail, Bass Pro, and on-line retailers have picked up a lot of tackle sales that used to come from small tackle suppliers. And these guys don't have booths at the shows. There just aren't as many tackle shops around, and many of the smaller shops don't attend the shows.

There are not nearly as many outfitters as there were in the past. I think they get their business from the internet now.

If you attend both shows I am sure that you will be seeing a lot of the same exhibits. I was the the Spring Fishing and Boat Show last year. I don't think it offered any more than the Sportsman Show offers; I would actually say it had less. So, I am not sure why there is so much hostility directed specifically at the Toronto Sportsman Show.

Overall, I still enjoyed the show even though it wasn't what it was in the eighties. I hope to get out to the other show next week as well; so maybe I will be able to compare the two.

If your not sure about the hostility directed specifically at the Toronto Sportsman Show ask some questions around tomorrow about walter and how he attempted to strong arm the spring fishing and boating show. unsuccessfully I may add. much to walter's dismay.

talk to some of the folks who have been around for a while....

i don't want to get into the details on this board publicly.

pm me if you want.

Interesting.

Was at the Toronto show all day on Thursday. Talked to a lot of great people and even met a few people from the OFC board. Was a great day and a pretty good show as well. In fact I might head back there again on Sunday.

Will also be at the Spring Fishing show next week too. :)

If your not sure about the hostility directed specifically at the Toronto Sportsman Show ask some questions around tomorrow about walter and how he attempted to strong arm the spring fishing and boating show. unsuccessfully I may add. much to walter's dismay.

talk to some of the folks who have been around for a while....

i don't want to get into the details on this board publicly.

pm me if you want.

Most of the complaints that I was referring to are about the quality of the show itself. Not about the politics between the two shows; that would be a different discussion.

It just seems that there are a lot of people who say to attend the Spring Fishing Show because the Sportsman Show is so bad. But, honestly, I don't think that the Spring Fishing & Boat show offers anything that the Sportsman Show doesn't. I would actually think the Sportsman Show has a few more attractions. The only advantages that I can see for the Spring show are free parking and a more convenient location for some people. And location wise, some people may find the Sportsman Show more convenient.

Most of the complaints that I was referring to are about the quality of the show itself. Not about the politics between the two shows; that would be a different discussion.

It just seems that there are a lot of people who say to attend the Spring Fishing Show because the Sportsman Show is so bad. But, honestly, I don't think that the Spring Fishing & Boat show offers anything that the Sportsman Show doesn't. I would actually think the Sportsman Show has a few more attractions. The only advantages that I can see for the Spring show are free parking and a more convenient location for some people. And location wise, some people may find the Sportsman Show more convenient.

I just came back from the show today. I will say the Spring Fishing Show has a lot more manufacturers there as far as I can see. Companies like Koppers, Freedom Jigs and many others go to one, but not the other as far as I can see.

Those are very interesting booths to me, and a reason to go to the Spring show.

The show wasn't bad by any means, nice to see a few familiar faces.

Edited by mattaw

I haven't been to the last 4 or maybe 5 shows now. The last year i attended would be the one right after the change where all the retailers dropped out. The reason i went was because it was nice seeing all the stores under one roof instead of going all over swo. When the booth costs forced all the retailers out, there was no reason for me to go. Even some of the interesting corporate booths come and go like Ardent, , Gloomis, Daiwa, Advanced Taxidermy, and Garmin. The last thing i need is to pay admission to visit a building thats 1/4 taken up by chainsaws, Rogers, Honda, Toyota, BMO, Scotia, cops, and other displays that have nothing to do with the outdoors. Now if you're on the search for a vacation camp, lodges, fly-in trips, and similar experiences, the tss is still good for that. I'm sure there are more, but I know of 2 operations that dropped out of that section also due to cost of show space + flights + hotels. It won't be long before this event is a full on trade show.

The last time I was at the Sportsman Show. The back hall was full of kitchen gadgets, socks and gym wear. A number of tackle shops had, to the surprise of many, just pulled out. It ceased to pique my interest any more.

Kinda like my visit to the CNE last year, finding half the buildings closed and boarded up.

I'm hoping the Fishing Show will be good, but who knows.

I wanted to attend both shows for the last couple years but booth costs were crazy so for me it would not be worth it even for the exposure. This year I was able to get a canceled booth for a great price it only made sence to go to the fishing and boat show. I can totally see why others don't go when you figure out booth price hotel eating out daily for 5 days plus gas it adds up fast.

The shows are great for the younger guys who are starting out or have limited years at fishing, etc....

For those who have vast knowledge and more gear then they know what to do, the show is just a means to get out of the house in mid winter and the cost is just not worth it to many.

How many would go if the show was FREE and maybe a charge to park.....with what they charge each vendor to have a stand, enough is made from that alone and many more would attended.......but with corporate greed running a muck that will never happen.

A highlight for me was talking with Dale Black from Gamma who taught myself and a friend how to make the Crazy Alberto knot and his enthusiasm was a real treat. All criticism aside, I still had a good time and I feel like I got my $19.00 worth.

Edited by Billy - Curtiss

A highlight for me was talking with Dale Black from Gamma who taught myself and a friend how to make the Crazy Alberto knot and his enthusiasm was a real treat. All criticism aside, I still had a good time and I feel like I got my $19.00 worth.

I spent half an hour just shooting the breeze with Dale, great guy.

Sadly no real deals. Was looking for a new reel for a sweet rod I just bought. $85 Sahara, $75 Pfluger president and $40 Abu cardinal. But it's ok because they will pay the tax.

Pft. I remember only a few years ago when I got a Sahara on for $49. Nothing worth spending my money on.

This is my point exactly........if you're looking for DEALS hang out at Cabela's bargain cave..........this year I got a $89.99 rod for $29.09 and a $69.00 reel $29.09 to match up with it......then another small reel for my perch fishing rod and again $69.99 for $29.09.

Not quite sure why they mark things down to "29.09" but they do and I'm HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY when they do.

BTW there was nothing wrong with reels and the rod had a VERY minor piece of cork chip on the handle that the reel covered up once mounted on the rod.

Cabela's or BPS have everything these shows have to offer except for the JUNK booths I have no interest in......