Starting to Plan a "Big Trip"

T-Bone

Well...big to us, at least.

We've been all over Ontario fishing for at least a week per summer since we were little kids. This past year my best buddy/cousin (actually more like my brother) and I eclipsed the 50 year old mark. Since 2000, we've been heading up to Lake Kipawa and have no complaints...good fishing and some of the nicest raw wilderness I've ever spent time in. For 2016, we're looking at doing the trip we've always talked about, but could never justify the expense for as we were still "building" our financial foothold, raising kids, etc.

Now, with our life situation a lot more stable, we've decided it's time for "The Big Trip"....and I'm looking for ideas from the biggest group of passionate fishing nuts I know. We're open to anything, but have done a cursory look at Budd's Gunisao Lake Lodge, Silsby Lake Lodge, and Bolton Lake Lodge. Yeah, I know, those are in Manitoba....but that's what came up in our search for our primary targets of walleye and pike. No need for anything else, but smallies would be a nice bonus...seems harder to find that trifecta of dominant species though. We're not at all closed to Ontario, Quebec, or Saskatchewan either.

I know there's a lot of fertile ground in Ontario...I often read a lot about Lac Seul...

Any insights are appreciated.

T-Bone, don't waste any time looking for things by your self, give Mike Borger a PM with as much detail in what you are looking for as dates, flexibility in when and what you want to fish for and what you expect from the trip and he will find you options that will set you on the right path. FLEX

we were @ kipawa last year and really enjoyed it but the group wanted to try something differant so looks like we are headed to the southeast arm of temagami for 2015 (july). we are not too good @ walleye and are doing that secondary to chasing smallies during the daytime. have you tried that area? looks to be beautiful.

No...never have been to Temagami. From what I've heard from those that have been to both, it's basically the same type of lake as Kipawa, but more islands. I believe you can expect the 'eyes to be a little tougher to find...not sure on the smallies as where we stay on Kipawa the smallie invasion is from the north and not made it down to the central part of the lake where we fish yet.

Just like what everyone else said......talk to Mike B. If money is no object Knee Lake northstarresort.ca or Kesagami Lake kesagami.com.

Both places offer a realistic chance at a 50" Northern. I believe walleye are everywhere in both lakes. I used to guide with a native fellow at Kasba Lake

who had also guided at Knee Lake......he told me the Pike in Knee Lake could eat the pike in Kasba Lake.

If I were after Trophy Pike, I'd definitely hit somewhere in MB or SK. Won't be too hard to find the famous ones using Google.

Otherwise, my Ontario bucket list includes a lot of places(sorry, it's probably too large to really be worthwhile). These outpost/lodges are either on big bodies of water for trophy fish, remote bodies of water for overall quantity and quality or luxury destinations that will pamper you.

Lodges:

Anderson's Lodge
Birch Lake Lodge
Hawk Lake Lodge
Kesagami Wilderness Lodge
Knobby's Fly-In Fishing Bamaji Lake Lodge
Mattice Lake Outfitters Ogoki or Whitewater Lodge
North Caribou Lake Outposts
Thunderhook's Smoothrock Camp
Wilderness North - any of their five lodges

Outposts from the outfitters above and:

Amik Outposts
Big Hook Wilderness Camps
Halley's Camps
Hidden Bay Lodge
Kabeelo Lodge
Kenora Air
Nestor Falls Fly-In Outposts
Pickle Lake Outposts
Showalter's
Slate Falls Outposts
Sportsman's Lodge
Wilderness Air

Hmm, yes, probably far too large a list. Do you want a lodge or an outpost? Food? Trophy's more important than numbers?

Mike, the wanderer, Borger is he man to talk to for this, no question. He is a one man outdoors Travel Agency.

One of the best trips we have had is in the Long Lac area. Klotz Lake Camp. It is right on highway 11. From Klotz many fly in lakes are accessible by vehicle by following back logging roads where a few 14 footers were brought in and you carry the 9.9's and gear in. A cool portage from Klotz brings you to Flint Lake, a Walleye and Pike factory. A few times you must portage over beaver dams carrying the boats and equipment. You should have seen the look on a group of Yanks faces we met in a fly in lake when they found out we drove in. We took pity on them and brought them a case of brew and a bottle the next day along with some fresh food. We never saw a Bass though, never really thought about smallies there, there might not be any. 1st week of June, snow ball fights in the morning, sunblock in the afternoon happy hour. A very good value but not low budget fish.

If your not in shape it would be a challenge. Actually it was a challenge when we were in shape. 50 years old? you young pups, I wish.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Hi T-bone. You probably know me from Kipawa discussion group. As you know I've done Kipawa a good dozen times and I've done the type of trips your thinking about. I've read your reports so also know your group's style of fishing. I'm guessing you want better fishing but can't really spend the cash to go big. The main species being walleye and pike...I'd go hudson bay lowlands with a cheap fly-in like Cochrane air. Fishing becomes a whole lot easier when depth is eliminated. Many of these lakes are no deeper then 12 ft. Plenty of Walleye, a shot at trophy pikes. This is fly-in for a relatively cheap price. You could bargain for a real cheap price. Find the right lake and you also have a shot at Sturgeon...one group I heard had to finally cut the line because they were tired of being pulled around the lake. It is a special experience to be totally alone away from everything.

If not HBLL then one of the big shield lakes in NW Ontario like Lake of the Woods where you will have all the creature comforts, better fishing plus a real shot at Muskie. Nipigon also has one decent resort and is a stunning lake. That is a massive awe inspiring lake.

Once you go a step up from this sort of trip you will be counting how many hundreds of dollars you are spending in a day. Kesagami Lodge is your style...as Americans you could probably really bargain with Charlie this year with both the strong US dollar and cheap gas. A big part of the cost of business for fly-ins is the price of gas. Under 1500 American per person taxes in? They have remote cabins for cheaper. At the lodge they pamper you, do your laundry, feed you, get your boat and gas it up, light your fire, get the sauna ready etc etc. For guys who like to fish but also like to have a good time I can't see you guys not liking this place. That is stupid walleye fishing where guys go with clickers and catch well over a 100 a day, and there is always a shot at trophy pike. Manitoba is better simply because those resorts are not so heavily used and often there is more water to fish. I fished Dunlops and can recommend that nice family lodge at a relatively good price. They do take care of you but not to the same degree as Kesagami. Next I would consider BC...you can do those expensive Salmon trips but I would recommend BC lake fishing. Quesnel Lake is stunning at 100 km long...no walleye but lakers and bows act like aggressive walleye there. Can you imagine mid summer lakers cruising the shallow shoals mid day looking for food? I had to see it to believe it. That is stupid fishing also. Cheap once you get there. There are great rivers in BC to fish also. If you have tons of $$ fish the Yukon...it's a place that will burn itself into your soul. There are other far north spots equally as stunning.

Edited by scuro2

Thanks Mike...I'll take a look and reply when I get the chance later today.

Lots of great feedback everyone....thanks so much. I have looked at Knee Lake before and it is on the short list...and a decent value. Budget per person door to door is about $5K-$6K. That has to accommodate a RT ticket to a hub of some sort; Winnipeg, Saskatoon, or a city where we can fly to, then get to a float plane base...etc. That is not inexpensive from Ohio.

Old Ironmaker...you crack me up all the time...and this is no exception... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway...great stuff...I knew I came to the right place.

Thanks everyone...

Definitely do what makes your group happy .... but you certainly don't have to spend that much money to catch big fish in a remote location.

If you want fancy food, plush accommodations and personal attention though, that budget seems on target.

It's all a matter of preference.

My group prefers to be left alone in a cabin in the wilderness surrounded by great fishing .... it typically costs between $1,000 and $2,000 per person to get just that.

I agree with MrSimon on this one , lots of great places to go for under your budget . Mike won't lead you astray , he is a wealth of information

when it comes to accommodations and fishing in the backwoods of north/central Ontario .

Kesagami has changed dramatically over the last five to ten years.

I have three close friends who have all guided there recently...

I wouldn't go there....

It's actually somewhat upsetting to see the fishing shows still pound that place yearly...and when they catch a 36" in pike they all call it a trophy.

In the early 90's a big pike on kesagami was 45".

If you mentioned earlier in the post that a lodge w American plan etc is a requirement - ignore this.

Our group has done 4 trips - 3 lodges/american plan and 1 fly in private lake outpost (albeit a deluxe one w an indoor toilet, shower and generator power.

For our group - I don't think we will go back to a lodge -the rent a lake was such an amazing experience - yes more work but also so very cool.

Mike as many mentioned will have way more info than I but there are a few deluxe rent a lake options way north - Kasba lodge etc - edit Ganglers was the other outfitter I was thinking of.

Cheers

Gordy

Edited by gordy28