Ice fishing Lake Simcoe Jan. 31

benzumi

Hey guys,

Got a chance to hit the ice yesterday. I'm glad we did, since it was a beautiful day, very little wind, and the sun was out pretty much the whole day. Was able to catch a lot of different sized perch. Ended up catching a couple decent ones. Before we packed up for the day, we stumbled across a school of herring on our flashers and for fortunate enough to land 2 of them. Never caught them before, they are a pretty amazing looking species. Here are a few pics, I enjoyed the perch for lunch today. As for the herring, they are nicely being pickled. (Figured I would research how to prepare them best and this seemed to be a great solution) Happy fishing everyone, dress warm.

IMG_1954_opt.jpg

IMG_1955_opt.jpg

IMG_1963_opt.jpg

IMG_1964_opt.jpg

Nice sandwich. Yum. No avocado for me though.

they are nicely being pickled. (Figured I would research how to prepare them best and this seemed to be a great solution)

Care to share your recipe?

Thanks

Edited by Brian B

Nice sandwich. Yum. No avocado for me though.

Care to share your recipe?

Thanks

Hey Brian,

Not my recipe, but I went on youtube to see how they actually pickle herring. Since herring is a fatty fish, it would be great for pickling. Here is the youtube link. The video could have been a bit shorter (lots of cutting, especially onions lol) but its pretty clear and informative.

I'm currently in the salting stage. Will be preparing the pickling mixture tonight.

What size is that perch? dwarfs the herrings lol

Lol yes, that was the biggest perch of the day. It was around 12" We caught a few smaller ones in the 9" range. The herring were not super large but we were excited to catch them since it was our first time. It was crazy looking at our Marcum's going nuts when the herring swam by. They showed up twice that day, and were on our radar for about 5 mins each time. The window is small but if it wasn't for the flashers we wouldn't have been able to have our lines at the right depth b/c they were suspending both times they passed by.

Just to change up that recipe a bit. Leave the fillets whole, quarter a dill pickle lengthwise. Lay the filet out flat, place a few strands of onion on the fillet; then place the pickle across the fillet and roll the fillet around the pickle; secure with a toothpick. the dill in the pickle adds a nice flavor to the fish.

Rollmops_01_retouched.jpg

Not my picture; borrowed it from the net.

Dan.