Happened in a flash

lew

I have bird feeders on the front lawn and usually have a couple squirrels around that pick up what falls on the ground.

I was looking out the window 10 minutes ago and outta nowhere a fox came flying across the lawn, grabbed the squirrel, shook the daylights out of him and killed him before he even knew what happened. The fox then ran down the road carrying his breakfast with him.

The whole thing start to finish probably didn't take 10 seconds.

I have bird feeders on the front lawn and usually have a couple squirrels around that pick up what falls on the ground.

I was looking out the window 10 minutes ago and outta nowhere a fox came flying across the lawn, grabbed the squirrel, shook the daylights out of him and killed him before he even knew what happened. The fox then ran down the road carrying his breakfast with him.

The whole thing start to finish probably didn't take 10 seconds.

Love stories like this one Lew. Mother nature as entertainment is hard to beat.

My summer entertainment is feeding an Osprey. Catch a small bluegill...step on it to kill it and throw it out in the water 10 feet in front of me. I have one osprey that is coming down out of a tree before the gill even hits the water. I just hope I didn't fatten him up too much so that it couldn't fly south for the winter :angel:

That must have been so neat to watch!

I wonder who will learn from it; the other squirrels that were around and realize that it could be dangerous or the fox who realizes that the squirrels are easy to catch and good to eat (especially when fattened up on bird seed).

There's always a couple squirrels hanging around the feeder so now that the fox knows their here I'd imagine he'll be keeping a close watch around here.

Couple years back I had another feeder in the back yard and there was a red squirrel that stayed close by to pick up the seeds that dropped. A big ole Barred Owl decided he'd like that little squirrel for supper and took up residence in a nearby tree where he had a clear view of everything. He was here a few days but never got the squirrel and he left.

Kinda nice having him around though.

001-8.jpg

That reminds me, last year I watched a young eagle learning to fish on the american side of the rr. Im watching a young eagle with a parent, perched on a log laying in the water. The parent eagle keeps doing a false dive. The youngin looks nervous. A few minutes later he/she goes for it. Slips off the the log and falls in the water? that eagle looked embarrassed beyond belief. Looking around like a human" did anyone see me fall"? Hahaha

Lew, that fox thanks you for providing food. :) I have feeder (sock) but only for American Gold Finch and others that can feed through the fine screen. Squirells tend to leave it alone as I've seen for the last 4 years. No droppings with this feeder.

better than a family down the street that got one into their attic! I'd love to find out what it cost them!

My front yard tree is getting to the point where they can jump onto the roof, I've rigged the tree with a 'plastic' wrap, so if they climb up, once they hit the plastic (can't grip it) down they go :)

you have a natural deterrent and well fed :) what if something likes the fox, ever thought of it? :) get the camera ready. :)

what if something likes the fox, ever thought of it? :) get the camera ready. :)

I see the odd Bald Eagle soaring around here but don't know if even they could pick up a fox.

Funny thing , since the little guy got grabbed this morning I haven't seen another squirrel all day.

I see the odd Bald Eagle soaring around here but don't know if even they could pick up a fox.

Funny thing , since the little guy got grabbed this morning I haven't seen another squirrel all day.[/quotes.

Squirrel. Note; stay in the trees! Also the smell of fox helped them make the right decision, until they get hungry again :)

Again, get ready, it may happen again! eagles have to eat. The squirell is another step down the feeding ladder. lucky for them, you may not have a big swooping pad.:)

I love my bird feeder. Those pea brained creatures are amazingly smart and fascinating to watch. When I pull in to the cottage, the chickadees start flying around me chirping, wanting me to hurry up and get the feeder out.

It's better entertainment then the Leafs, that's for sure.