Toronto Speed Limits

Fisherman

Looks like some dim wit is suggesting that the speed limits in Toronto should be lowered to 40km/h, too many people are getting run over and die. I must be from the ancient school of knocks, Elmer the Safety Elephant told me...Look both ways before you cross the street. Maybe they should reincarnate Elmer and add a line... take out the earbuds and quit texting, then look both ways before you cross the street. I always laugh at the adds on TV, you been injured, call D&D, I was crossing the street and a car came out of no where and hit me. They haven't invented teleporters for cars and they don't fall out of the sky.

Are you one of those guys that screams at cyclists too?

When are you ever able to actually reach 40 km/h while driving in Toronto anyway? Make it 20 km/h, wouldnt change much!

I understand that the traffic doesn't get to 50 all that often, but for jeez sake, if the roads clear and traffic can roll, at least let it go at a reasonable rate. I don't scream at cyclists, I just upshift, spool the turbo and roll some coal.

I believe the proposal is to lower the default in town speed to limits to 40 km PROVINCE WIDE. Municipalities will have the option to change it but any unposted streets would become 40km. Thanks again granny government.

Here's a link:

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2015/01/29/queens-park-considering-lower-speed-limits-in-cities-and-towns.html

Edited by G.mech

The logic behind lowering the speed limits is the survival rate for pedestrians struck by vehicles. I understand why people who drive everywhere would be apprehensive about lowering speed limits, but it seems like the reduced speed limits would only be applied to urban areas.

I understand that the traffic doesn't get to 50 all that often, but for jeez sake, if the roads clear and traffic can roll, at least let it go at a reasonable rate. I don't scream at cyclists, I just upshift, spool the turbo and roll some coal.

Man i love the sight of a cloud of diesel encasing the most recent person to send your heart into a tailspin with their self absorbed antics!

Lower the speed limits, heck ban cars and trucks and we can all just walk hand in hand to our destination. At least then we only have to worry about bonking heads when staring at our electronics?

Man i love the sight of a cloud of diesel encasing the most recent person to send your heart into a tailspin with their self absorbed antics!

Lower the speed limits, heck ban cars and trucks and we can all just walk hand in hand to our destination. At least then we only have to worry about bonking heads when staring at our electronics

You really believe that

No i dont, i do believe that their are idiots on both sides of the steering wheel though. Ive driven a large truck around downtown t.o. And i know what its like being scared half to death 9-10 times a day by pedestrians and cyclists who clearly have no regard for their own safety.

There is an old neighborhood in the North end of Hamilton where they have lowered the speed limit from 50K to 30K 2 or 3 years ago. It has the highest density of school aged children in the city and the most number of grade schools per square kilometer as well. It abuts the north border of the dense downtown area. It is or was a working class neighborhood for over 100 years with a mix of several different ethnic backgrounds, originally of mostly those of Italian and Irish decent Steel, Dock and Construction workers as well as the bootleg capital of Canada. This is where Rocco Perri went for a walk after dinner and never made it back for Cannoli.

Transplanted Torontonians have been buying up single family dwellings here for pennies on the dollar compared with any GTA housing prices. That's for another thread.

It felt strange feeling like you are crawling through the neighborhood. Going slower I couldn't believe the number of kids I see now. I guess I didn't notice them doing 50.Where exactly are you going to get to any faster in a highly densely populated neighborhood? I heard today from some Mac Prof that for every 10K the speed limit is raised the likelihood of a car vs. pedestrian/cyclist fatality rises something like 30%. I heard a few stories of the neighborhood taking personal care for those speeding through the neighborhood before the speed limit was lowered. The likely hood of a driver caught going 20 KPH over the old speed limit the drivers fatality rate rose to 100%, this is the North end of Hamilton not Rosedale. Like I always say hurry up and stop.

Johnny D, former North ender and honorary Cellar Dweller.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I am glad someone posted some of those stats so I didn't have to! lol

And bigugli, I can remember when they were taught to me by my parents before I was in school aha, but maybe that's something of the past? :P

Have to admit I never had a bike til I was 10. Knew how to handle a boat before I learned to cycle.

Have to admit I never had a bike til I was 10. Knew how to handle a boat before I learned to cycle.

I was more referring to the "look both ways before you cross" thing. However; I was the same way, learning to ride a bike was much more painful than driving the boat...

It won't matter. I lived at Yonge and Finch for a long time, and had my share of near misses with pedestrians. People are just oblivious, especially since the iPod was invented. I used to see plenty of people do some crazy stuff and risk their life to catch a bus too!!

I dont envy any of you on this matter.

Where I live rush hour means you seen 30 trucks in a 30km drive lol.

I will mention one thing, it could be worse.

In the town im from, international falls mn, half the roads dont have stop signs.

never seen as much an issue till I watched a young child hit by a delivery truck.

fault is on 3 parties I suppose but that poor kid. I couldnt shake that visual for years.

I think I was about 13 at the time and me and one buddy trying to help this child with his head half torn off was brutal to say the least.

drivers suck, iphoners suck, speeding laws suck.

nobody gives a crap nowadays, until somebody is dead.

I once went to a town, I forget the name, maybe st cloud mn??? But I liked what I saw. The whole downtown/school district was raised up on a curb. No driving roads at all.

seemed inconvenient but it was pretty awesome to roam the streets that way. Reminded me of barcelona.

Seems like a much safer alternative. But i suppose it inconveniences all the "rush to work" parents.

Edited by manitoubass2

Another winner from the champions of lunacy, your provincial gummyment. I think its a great idea!!!! Nobody drives, nobody gets hurt :whistling: . And just imagine the prospect of added revenue, that is where traffic makes it to 40k.

I think if it went to referendum the speed limit reduction would pass. I can see that in residential neighborhoods but not in those long stretches of wasteland where the car dealerships and strip malls are. Residential areas I have absolutely zero issue with lower speed limits. Now all they have to do is raise the 100KPH highways to 110. The speed is closer to 120 anyway. I love the 70 MPH on some interstates. Now if you want to talk real driving go to Italy and drive L'Autosrada or Germany's Autobahn. Nothing like doing 135 and a Ferrari flies by like you are standing still. I don't know if it the same as it was in the 90's, it has been a while since being in those places.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Funny, the City of Barrie has numerous 40kph zones already, how did the city sneak those laws in. :sarcasm: (Cities can set speeds to suit so this is made up government bull)

Any chance that part of the "problem" (that is assuming there is one) is pedestrians not following the rules of the road and/or using their phones while walking? Ear buds/can't hear traffic?

Any chance that is city planers could do a better job of locating schools, residential and commercial zones and the roadways that connect them?

Maybe just enforce the speed/traffic laws as they are now? I always seam to have someone on my bumper no matter what speed I'm travelling.

I know, that's way too much logic for government and voters. I am such a fool.