roof shingles replacement

icefisherman

No bird stop installed ( which I pointed out after the fact) hornets and black jackets love it. A few bats as well.

Make sure you have a barrier to prevent insects and animals to entering you roof system.

G

Is that the foam used to plug the openings due to the ridges in the steel roofing? Is any additional barrier required?

When I was in grande prairie, I looked at houses and 300,000 for a 1800 sq ft house built like s%×+.

The newest subdivision here in Yellowknife the places are selling for $400,000-$425,000 and that's for trailers that are so close together you can practically touch your neighbour from your kitchen. :w00t:

Hey fellas, been a while since I have posted.....ice fisherman...you have received the green light that steel is a longer lasting product than shingles, everyone agrees. The ball is now back in your court...you have to do more homework and look at the available products, to decide which suit your home. This is the only way you will get accurate numbers. Companies will measure your roof and give you an accurate quote. There is a wide variety in products and the cost reflects the differences. IMO I wouldn't recommend the metal products that are covered with pebbles / asphalt. It can't stay on, and fade is a real possibility. I'm not trying to be gruff, but your question is too vague to get an accurate answer at this point. Some of the major players in the steel roof market are Vic West, Ideal steel products. You will see the wide range of products available from just two companies, let alone the hundreds of smaller manufacturers. Cheers M.M.

That's sad ..on many levels ..but yes quality is big proper installation is a must ..heat is horrible for shingles ..proper venting is a must..put steel on the family cottage last sept I'd never look back ..gotta handle the asphalt one too many times if you ask me

It seems most of us agree metal roof is the way to go.

But lets talk numbers....how much for the shingles and how much for the metal roof?

Need to know the cost, before I can justify the difference.

Thanks,

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Where are you located? If you are in the Kawarthas or general area I can hook you up with the guy that did my roof. He did an excellent job with all the "critter barriers", trim, and those things to keep the snow from sliding off the roof and on to your head.

My house is about 1500 sq ft with a couple of valleys and ti cost me about $5500.00 all in.

The best price I could get doing it in shingles, stripping the old stuff and everything was $4900.00.

Check around your area, go and talk to others in your area that have had their roofs done in steel, call a couple of the local suppliers and ask them who has the best reputation then get them to come and give you written quotes. Do not pay any money up front, the guy I dealt with didn't ask for nor did he want a deposit. His response was "when the job is finished and you are satisified then you pay me"!

Where are you located? If you are in the Kawarthas or general area I can hook you up with the guy that did my roof. He did an excellent job with all the "critter barriers", trim, and those things to keep the snow from sliding off the roof and on to your head.

My house is about 1500 sq ft with a couple of valleys and ti cost me about $5500.00 all in.

The best price I could get doing it in shingles, stripping the old stuff and everything was $4900.00.

Check around your area, go and talk to others in your area that have had their roofs done in steel, call a couple of the local suppliers and ask them who has the best reputation then get them to come and give you written quotes. Do not pay any money up front, the guy I dealt with didn't ask for nor did he want a deposit. His response was "when the job is finished and you are satisified then you pay me"!

I am in the West side of GTA. Maybe too far for your guy? If you can send me his contacts I'll get in touch with him. If nothing else he might be able to give me some additional info or refer me to someone local who is good and trustworthy. But for that kind of price difference it is no brainer as you said.

This company http://www.newsteelroofers.com/ seems to get high ratings from customer on http://homestars.com/ but I don't know them personally nor through someone who I know personally.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Edited by icefisherman

I know he wouldn't go that far, just too much travel time for him and his crew and he has plenty of work right around this area because of his reputation. I don't know any of the roofers in your area but we do have some guys on the board that gave me some excellent advice when I was looking into it. If you get referances and actually go out and see the jobs they have done it will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect. This is a big investment for you, make sure you know exactly what you are getting and who you are dealing with before you commit to anything.

For anyone wondering the WHY is my shingled roof only lasting half of the lifetime given, the answer is simple, ventilation.

The air in your attic should always be the same air temperature as outside, if you notice your roof melts snow while its still cold out and your roof won't hold the snow without melting it, increase the ventilation because it does the same/opposite in summer and helps curl those shingles up,

Tl;Dr proper insulation and venting will extend the lifetime of your shingles

Absolutely true, and why I installed additional gable venting on my house this spring! It was amazing the extra heat they vented!

Don't buy shingles from a big box store. They won't last. I've been there! 25 year shingles lasted only 9 years before showing wear. After 11 years I had to replace my entire roof. The warranty only covered to replace the shingles. I had to do the labor to strip old shingles, haul them away, pay for disposal & of course install the new shingles. Prior to getting approval for replacement shingles I had to take pix of my ventilation for the attic including roof vents, soffit vents & pix of my attic to show I had adequate insulation up there. Quite an ordeal to say the least. Go with the metal roof as others have already stated. If I ever have to do my roof again - METAL ONLY1 Good luck