snap....bang

lew

Wife and I are out in the kitchen an hour ago and we hear a bang coming from the den so I walk in to find my 25" computer screen laying face down on the desk.....WHAT THE HECK ??

This bracket is screwed onto the back of the screen

038.jpg

That 1" square tab slides into the arm of this base

036-1.jpg

And the darned thing just snapped off

039.jpg

Screen still works fine so that's a good thing but I'm using the laptop now and will call LG on Monday and see if they've got another bracket.

I dunno, but it seems harder to find decent quality products anymore.

Almost impossible, it seems companies want things to break so you have to buy more of it... Depends though, that being said I have only ever had two phones, both LG's and neither of them have broken. I know friends who have been through four phones in the time I have had my second (about four years now) and they are much nicer to their phones than I have been to mine, oh well. I would be surprised if they didn't give you a new bracket though that certainly looks defective, but then again I am no expert lol

You are right on c10! I've had numerous small plastic items break & I'm very careful with my gear. My wifes van has a small clip which holds the windshield washer hose to the wiper arm. Attempting to remove the hose the clip snapped. Off to the Chev dealer to purchase a new one. $34.00 - you must be joking right?? Nope that was the price. I went on ebay. Same clip $2.56. What do you think of that? Back up sensor on my F 150 malfunctioned. New part $190.00! Wow! Ebay $26.00. So I bought a set of 4, thinking that probably another will crap out on me. Set of 4 cost $75.00 total, tax,duty, shipping to my door!

I've had numerous small plastic items break

Doesn't really show in the pictures but that piece of plastic that snapped is quite flimsy and makes you wonder why they wouldn't use something a little more substantial to hold the weight of a 25 inch screen.

long gone are the years of quality its all plastic crapola. lew do you remember when we actually fixed things lol.. yes folks there were times when you fixed it for re-use.

It's definitely a throw away world we're living in now George.

Dang that's not good at all but like you and others have said its a toss out world now and cheapest is best. Dad bought a LG TV years ago it went on the crapper right away nothing but troubles with it we looked online and sure enough there was a day of reading on the same problems from LG I will never buy a LG product even if it was the last TV out there I will go with out. Hope they fix you up Lew if not I'm sure a OFC member will be able to make a fancy metal one for you.

a OFC member will be able to make a fancy metal one for you.

That's what it should have been in the 1st place Mike.

The LG screen is actually pretty nice though with excellent clarity and colors although it doesn't seem so good laying flat on it's face.

There's a computer repair place in town that's pretty good so I'll go see him tomorrow before I try tracking it down online.

Thanks for the link FloatnFly, if the fella in town can't help me I'll give them a try.

i would still contact LG directly as well, I had a problem with my cell phone where it melted while charging, Got a new one from Telus, but I had also contacted Samsung, the regular CS associate passed my case along to the VP in Canada, and after a few emails back and forth and me telling them Telus was going to replace with an upgraded phone, they were willing to fix up my old phone so that I could sell it. I declined the offer, but it was still a fantastic offer, and great customer service, they have a customer for life now.

Edited by FloatnFly

While a bit of topic, I have never had an issue with an LG product.... As much as I would like to upgrade my plasma, I can't bring myself to do it as this tv still looks great and works flawlessly after 5 years...

It owes me nothing. I would purchase LG again.

G

customer should be the highest priority. at markups of 500 per-cent on many products they should re-place no problems. Lew remember when we wore soles of shoes out the shoe guy sewed new soles on them. the knife guy came bye and sharpened your knives/scissors. . well now we just send it the landfill. hey maybe we can have new landfill locations. build them in china

Edited by outlaw

Lew remember when we wore soles of shoes out the shoe guy sewed new soles on them.

And I also remember wearing steel cleats on my heels so they WOULDN'T wear out George. Trouble was though, the shoes would be 15 years out of style before they needed to be replaced :lol:

Doesn't really show in the pictures but that piece of plastic that snapped is quite flimsy and makes you wonder why they wouldn't use something a little more substantial to hold the weight of a 25 inch screen.

When you factor in the cost of shipping from overseas every 1/4 of an ounce drives the price up incredibly. That is why outsourcing has NOT saved companies or companies nearly as much as the globalists would likes us to believe. Also having to buy replacements every 3 to 5 yrs on major purchases isn't saving the consumer anything in the long run.

Edited by Canuck2fan

Yes I have and need a $5 rocker switch for my $500 frameless electric fireplace I bought from Canadian tire !!!!! Of course the warranty is some china address and you call them and it's also a call line for black & decker and you have to punch in a dozen numbers and codes and serial numbers then leave a message for them too call you back !!!! It's. Never going to happen as a 12yr old girl on the factory floor won't know how to speak English or know what the pArt is !!!!!!! I'm gonna loose it on this crap ..... DONT BUY ANYTHING ANYMORE WORTH MORE THAN 100$ WITHPUT CHECKING THE WARRANRY CAUSE THEY ALL SAY NOW PLEASE DO NOT BRING BACK TO STORE AND NOW ITS A COMANY THAT HANDLES SEVERAL OTHER COMPANIES .......... It's all the new way to screw your Custer .... Thei is1,000,000,000,0000000% true ....... Everything almost now is just built so crappy ..... And will break with minimal use or want last long anyways ....... Junk

You are right on c10! I've had numerous small plastic items break & I'm very careful with my gear. My wifes van has a small clip which holds the windshield washer hose to the wiper arm. Attempting to remove the hose the clip snapped. Off to the Chev dealer to purchase a new one. $34.00 - you must be joking right?? Nope that was the price. I went on ebay. Same clip $2.56. What do you think of that? Back up sensor on my F 150 malfunctioned. New part $190.00! Wow! Ebay $26.00. So I bought a set of 4, thinking that probably another will crap out on me. Set of 4 cost $75.00 total, tax,duty, shipping to my door!

Those are some pretty good savings! How old is your truck? We have a Honda Odyssey its been pretty good so far apart from the door, but I do find all of these places nickle and dime you...

Lots of really good points here!

Well, a couple of things!

First of all, Lew if you wanted to bring that monitor and those pieces over here I bet we could make a piece out of wood that would fit the bill perfectly, use some high gloss black paint and you'd probably never know it was repaired.

Second, If I need electronics (and lots of other things) I go to Costco, they automatically extend the Manufacturers warranty by two years and they have excellent help lines. I needed an adaptor to go from an audio digital out put to an analog input but it had to be a specific format, I called their help line and without hesitation the young lady was able to answer my question and in excellent English.

The best price I could find on the part I needed anywhere in Canada or the US was about $50.00 +. I ordered it from China delivered to my door for $11.00 and it is the exact same one that I'd have paid $50.00+ for here.

First of all, Lew if you wanted to bring that monitor and those pieces over here I bet we could make a piece out of wood that would fit the bill perfectly, use some high gloss black paint and you'd probably never know it was repaired.

Thanks for the offer Cliff, I've got a number for a Canadian LG parts supplier I'm gonna call this morning who hopefully has the plastic bit I need plus the guy in Lakefield.

Thanx guys, lottsa good info here!

c10 - It's a 2008 King Ranch with only 90k on it. $190.00 at the dealer vs $26.00 for the same part is not a nickel or even a dime difference! LOL!

Cliff - Thanx for the info about Costco extending the warranty by 2 years - AWESOME!

Lew - Too bad you are located too far from my garage. I'm sure I could fabricate a bracket to hold your monitor. And it will only cost you a Timmies - large double cream! LOL!

After discovering the pricing on ebay, (ebay is new to me) I've decided NOT to purchase anything unless I go on line & check their pricing first.

Another good story. The clerk at a business supply store advised me to purchase the Otter phone case (charging case) on ebay cause it is only 50 bux - his store price $100.00! WOW!