Porcupine deterrence advice?

Gerritt

Hey guys need a bit of advice here... Lately there has been a large porcupine hanging around close to my property, in the field behind my house. Seems to be getting closer and closer to the property everyday...

How can I deter it from getting any closer? Tieing shopping bags to my hedges has not worked.

My property is not fenced just cedar hedges. I'm afraid to let the dog out for fear of a hefty vet bill...

Anything you guys have done. Or can suggest?

Thanks

G

Edited by Gerritt

A lot of hunters here use the word 'bang'!

I had a skunk in my yard that dug a hole under my shed that was very close to a fence. I blocked any way in further and bought a horn with different sounds. I built a trigger switch that he had to step on when he went in or came out :) and this thing went off a 10 pm and again at 6am when he came back, it was loud :):):) according to my neighbour. This girl left has soon the kids could walk.

You could spray the area with urine, it does work! Dog hair . . .

Just get a live trap G and trap it and take it a few miles down the road and let it go in the bushes. I think you are only allowed to take them a few miles so that's why I say that, but you could take it further :whistling:

Edited by Joey

Baseball bat, or a two by four, or a shovel.....

They cannot move very fast.

And don't let any nosy neighbours see you.................................

...............or if you have nosy neighbours, use a golf club and carry a ball with you for "putting practice."

Then make the carcass disappear. You can lift a dead porcupine by its feet and not get quilled.

Good luck

PS) Porcupine is pretty tasty. I was looking for an old recipe for sweet and sour porcupine but couldn't find it. And I cannot cut and paste in this infernal website, so you can google recipes for yourself. But "porcupine meatballs" don't use porcupine meat, they use beef burger,,,,,,,,,,,

years ago on my dads old farm we saw one.....well my uncle stands back takes aim and BANG....

couldnt pick up this 30 lbs bundle of prickles...so uncle goes back to the farm grabs the tractor

tie him up to the forks....bring him back...skinned him and quarted him

brought back to toronto.....we gave it to the women to cook and told them it was rabbit

ive never seen stew being eaten as fast as that stew was....

my mom kept saying to my dad.....why dont you guys go get some more rabbit...thats the tastiest ive ever had......lol..

years ago on my dads old farm we saw one.....well my uncle stands back takes aim and BANG....

couldnt pick up this 30 lbs bundle of prickles...so uncle goes back to the farm grabs the tractor

brought back to toronto.....we gave it to the women to cook and told them it was rabbit

my mom kept saying to my dad.....why dont you guys go get some more rabbit...thats the tastiest ive ever had......lol..

PRICELESS

Thats one BIG rabbit!

Great story???