Sick Day Icefishing!

NAW

My 2 year old son goes to a daycare which is currently having a small outbreak of the flu. So they are being very cautious (as they always are) and keeping certain kids home with mild/low fevers. My son eventually hit 101.1 yesterday at 4pm, so i got the call.

He has never been ice fishing before. We slept in, and I made sure he was in good shape. No fever. So, of we went to the hut for a few hours! It was a windy walk out. And glare ice. At one point my son was in the toboggan beside me, because the wind was pushing him straight sideways.

We almost lost the sleigh and rods when getting in to the hut. I had to go Steven Segal on the sleigh after the wind took it while I was unloading.

Anyways. We caught about 30 perch in 2 hours. My son asked me to put them back down the hole, so that's where they went.

Here's a few pics from the day.

The ride out!

IMG_20150123_105730_zpsgmytod8p.jpg

The shiny new rig.

IMG_20150123_120338_zpskuspyapd.jpg

Every fish he saw he would say "Back in there" "back down hole" "Fishy go".

IMG_20150123_114133_zpsw4ebe4n0.jpg

Dad/Son Selfie.

IMG_20150123_122703_zpsau0ynqbt.jpg

The ride home he faced backwards to avoid the wind his face. I sent this to his Mom who's currently in Dominican. She doesn't like him on the ice, so I parked him on the pretty crack for a picture. There's ton of ice there. 12-14" easy...

IMG_20150123_130448_zpspznhwnfn.jpg

It was a great first run out with him. He was very excited to see the perch, and could watch my rod tip and tell me when I was getting bites! We may go again tomorrow.

On a side note, I tested out my new perch rod for the hut. A Frabil Microlite 18" with a Diawa crossfire reel. It's slick! smooth drag for a cheap reel.

Thanks for reading.!

this is one of my favourite reports of all time. well done.

Thanks man!!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I agree with Akrisoner. I am always excited to see kids out having a good time fishing and its especially awesome to see your son already practicing Catch and Release! Great Report

The kid loves a good fish fry! But I guess he also likes seeing them swim back down the hole..

Lucky boy! Nothing like fresh air to cure what ails him instead of trading snot with the rest of the daycare bunch.Thanks for sharing.

Fresh air cures lots of things! This little man in a true outdoorsman in the making.

Nice, wish I was getting out there when I was two. Must be a blast for you both! Something I look forward to when I have kids.

There are so many things to look forward to, it's crazy! Keeping them busy is half the fun!

Great stuff Nick... but be cautious of "taunting" and what it might bring you. It's a cruel cruel world out there...

Beer and a sippy cup.. lol

Sound words of advice Wayne! It's been 7 months since I split from my wife. And we are on great terms, and completely focused on what is best for Alex at this point. She had a good reaction to the "crack" picture! She's realizing now that a lots of the things she used to vigorously brake my balls about before where a little silly looking back at it. Life eh... Edited by N.A.W