Car rental in Costa Rica-NF

Court R

Liberia is better than San Jose for this, but when you land there will be a crowd of people outside the airport, and once you start talking to 1 car rental guy, the others will come to try to get your business and you can negotiate. Sounds kind of risky, but it's worked for me.

Get a 4wd, it gives you more options, some driving is on sand, crossing rivers etc, and the roads are terrible, keep watch for giant potholes

where are you headed and what are you planning to do?

Check with your insurance company to see if you have any coverage down there. I know mine is only good in Canada and the U.S.A. Which I did not know until just this month when I asked.

The extra insurance you may need may affect your choice.

Regards

Check with your insurance company to see if you have any coverage down there. I know mine is only good in Canada and the U.S.A. Which I did not know until just this month when I asked.

The extra insurance you may need may affect your choice.

Regards

There was an informative post here regarding insurance in CR. Make sure u know the fine print.

G

Funny story Jimmer, cops stopped us off the beaten track, and were trying to tell us something in Spanish, no English, we played charades for a few minutes, all of us frustrated, then I said "Banditos!"

cops- "Ci, Ci, Banditos!", -keep your windows up and doors locked was their message

When I couldn't figure out how to work the gas pump, a guy called me a "stupido blanco", Hahaha

It is a pretty safe place to tour around, I've done it 3 times and I'm sure you will have a blast Court R

Edited by chris.brock

It would also be good to know what happens if you are in an accident.

A few years ago a Canadian was involved in an accident in Cuba. He was initially not allowed to leave the country until after the trial. They eventually allowed him to leave but he had to agree to return for the trial. It would be good to know what the rules are for something like that before driving there.

Also, they may only have standards if that is an issue.

I was there last year in March...when doing homework on the trip I read the many horror stories about rip off rental car agencies, some stories must be true to see all the complaints on trip advisor and such...Any who I ended renting in San Jose from Vamos rent a car. There were plenty of positive reports on them and I was very satisfied that I didn't get ripped off. The vehicle was a Toyota Pravda, with a lot more Kms then you would see on a North American rent a car, but I also read that was a good thing. We didn't look so touristy. I also purchased some internet discount card for like 20$ and it saved like 15% off rental from this particular company. Like I said earlier, trip advisor had a ton of posts about this subject, warnings and good companies in their Costa Rica forums. Cheers...we loved our trip there and would go back in a heartbeat. M.M.