Cracking Finger Tips.. Advice

NAW

Well why not also look at prevention....they crack because they are dried out so you need to wear gloves. Like everyone else hear at one time I got them but started to put hand cream on numerous times aday (Okeefes is greasy) if they get real bad put vaselene on before bed and were some cotton gloves, keep at it and wear gloves.

I worked on truck docks and drove an 18 wheeler all my adult life. No heat on the truck docks and two pair of gloves were normal, leather gloves over fabric ones. My fingers would dry out and crack, the key was using a moisturizer like Vasoline intensive care, it would prevent it as long as I used it regularly.

Got the exact same thing going on for my right thumb this year. Polysporin seemed to do the trick for me - just remember to apply it as soon as the crack forms.

Just so happens that it'll heal for me throughout the week, and the next time I go ice fishing it opens up again. :wallbash:

Thanks again everyone. It sounds like I just need to apply cream lots until this crack goes away, then keep my fingers greased up/covered up as best as I can.

I just hate wearing gloves, specially when perchin on Simcoe when you don't go 30 seconds without catching a fish and needing to take your gloves off again. I guess I should just stick to the slab grabbers, because they are really easy to pop fish off with out removing your gloves.

I work outside and also icefish. I used to have the same problem really bad - for years and years. Clapham's salad bowl sealer is what worked for me. It's a combination of beeswax and food-grade mineral oil. Every day before I go outside, I'll apply it by smearing it across my finger nails then quickly spinning each finger (& thumb) tip in the finger tips on my other hand - then I wipe my finger pads & palm on the back of the opposite hand and just leave it like spackle in the crevices underneath and around my finger nails. Absorvbs after a while and seals your hands pretty well. I tried all kinds of creams (not the O'keefe's, tho) and even used to super-glue the cracks closed. Clapham's is what did it. And it's all-natural and edible. Doesn't seem to bother the fish either - as far as scent. GL

Hey Nick lottsa good advice here. I've work outside in the construction industry my entire life. Here is where the problem begins. Your hands get wet from handling snow covered lumber & other materials, then they dry out. Then the cracks/splits begin. Winter is a drier climate as we all know, then you put on dry leather gloves, this compounds the problem. Wool gloves are also the enemy as they are dry as well. Catching a perch every 30 seconds - I wish! Now your hands are wet, then they dry out without any "lubricant". I had many splits at the end of my fingers that were very painful & would not heal. It was at this time I discovered "Neutrogena" hand cream. The label states "Norwegian formula" in red lettering. Many years ago their product label stated it was formulated for the Norwegian fishermen. More recently that description has been deleted. It's available at Shoppers Drug mart. Apply it several (5 or 6) times per day to get the healing process started, once starting to heal you can cut back on the # of applications per day. I don't care how bad your hands are at this point Neutrogena will work! I always have 2 or 3 tubes nearby in the winter.

Why - CAUSE IT WORKS!

Thanks for all the replies everyone!!

I picked some Okeefe's from Canadian tire this week. Been maybe 4 days now and the crack is almost healed up completely! So thanks again for the info, I'll be recommending this stuff to whoever asks in the future.