cooking thread...

A little psa here. Independent Grocer has whole briskets points on sale for $3.00lb ($40-$45) and trimmed pieces packaged up for $4 lb. ($22 range) Meat manager said he can hardly keep it on the shelves, considering it's way cheaper than burger even. He had to put one aside for himself to smoke.

So I'm leaning towards doing them up in a brine with a #1 cure, so basically a corned beef and then smoke it. From what I'm seeing the prague powder isn't necessary but then it isn't considered corned beef and won't have that red colour and different flavour.  Smokingmeatforums.com is a good place to wander around, check out post #27 in this thread.  https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/to-brine-or-not-to-brine-a-brisket.89757/page-2

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

I am off this week . Cooking that is. Mrs,s is off this week, so her chore for a change. She said sgettie tonight? Ok.

BUT, BUT, BUT

We will need bread

Italian garlic parma bread to be exact. Fresh garlic crushed into a egg wash and sprinkle parma on top.  Would of been nice to have some fresh parma, but do what ya do I say.

DSCF5980.JPG.0f58ff3c225266c34643b71c86d04eba.JPG

DSCF5981.JPG.a97466662bd9cc5c9781773d8fe93164.JPG

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I am off this week . Cooking that is. Mrs,s is off this week, so her chore for a change. She said sgettie tonight? Ok.

BUT, BUT, BUT

We will need bread

Italian garlic parma bread to be exact. Fresh garlic crushed into a egg wash and sprinkle parma on top.  Would of been nice to have some fresh parma, but do what ya do I say.

DSCF5980.JPG.0f58ff3c225266c34643b71c86d04eba.JPG

DSCF5981.JPG.a97466662bd9cc5c9781773d8fe93164.JPG

Looks awesome Brian!  Now with a glass of red wine..............

Thanks Doug

Since I have been off and started this baking stuff, I have yet to buy a loaf of bread,a bag of buns for hot dogs,sausages or burgers.

No frills had hot dog and burger buns on for $1.99 . Those dinky things . I still turned my head and said nope, not going to do it. I can make a batch of 12 reg buns or 6 mama or 4 mando buns with just 3 cups of flour,1 cup of water with yeast and one egg. Yes of course,salt and sugar added and a oz of olive oil .  Put in a zip lock bag, it,s fresh for 4-5 days . Left overs go to croutons .

What I have learned through trial and error and patience . Many say I did not bake the bread I gave them . I said back,who is open to make this ? LOL

Yes,I am proud of myself.  Still trying to find, bread flour.

Edited by misfish

25 minutes ago, misfish said:

Thanks Doug

Since I have been off and started this baking stuff, I have yet to buy a loaf of bread,a bag of buns for hot dogs,sausages or burgers.

No frills had hot dog and burger buns on for $1.99 . Those dinky things . I still turned my head and said nope, not going to do it. I can make a batch of 12 reg buns or 6 mama or 4 mando buns with just 3 cups of flour,1 cup of water with yeast and one egg. Yes of course,salt and sugar added and a oz of olive oil .  Put in a zip lock bag, it,s fresh for 4-5 days . Left overs go to croutons .

What I have learned through trial and error and patience . Many say I did not bake the bread I gave them . I said back,who is open to make this ? LOL

Yes,I am proud of myself.  Still trying to find, bread flour.

All true, and especially PATIENCE.  I am not patient enough to be a baker, except for the real easy stuff!

Doug

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, misfish said:

Thats a wrap

4lb of ground beef,filled with cheese and mushroom,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCF5989.JPG.46886b7a085b6bda307181e3684cec24.JPG

DSCF5992.JPG.d2532551a3b90ba3df6d4e2b3f126378.JPG

Jesus, you are the the MAN, next thing you will be weaving baskets that catch fish! 
I have “round” zucchini; first time I planted them from seed. wifi says what are you going to do with those, she has only seen the long ones!  How we find ways to feed ourselves  and make do, with what we have. chestnut flour and others inventions came from the war years. Something we may think about going forward. I have enough  lettuce to feed a few and more coming, basil leaves the size of a hand, mint,  parsley,  hot peppers, eggplants . . .. 
My dad came from Europe, and always said “why plant something you can’t eat”!  A thought there. 
Grow away, B  (that’s GROW, Not GO away)  I have a feeling no tomatoes or other things we like  this year may not be coming our way! Sad,  but it may happen. I have been buying the PASSATA just in case. I had an amazing farmer contact (Mennonite) that used to bring my tomatoes from Leamington, the cost of energy/lack of orders did that in. roasted peppers may last another year. :)

Keep  well and let’s do our part to destroy this thing. Who would think that an Itie would connect with a “Rocker”, 

Let’s see what you need for planting next year.  Lots of 25 L pails on hand. 
shot this while looking at my peppers!

E9FC7209-0A02-40C8-BAA8-733ED0055C64.jpeg

Rather than go through all 150 pages.........................Brian do you still have that video that shows how to do the bacon weave?  I tried it once and it was a disaster.  Well, nothing with bacon can be a disaster............but it was NOT successful.

Doug

• Haha 1

Plastic Wrap as Brian showed is key to a good bacon weave wrap.

I like the wrap it large enough to spin and twist the ends tight.
Then chill to let it set up.

To note, Brian was my inspiration to give it a go.  ;)

T8.jpg

T9.jpg

T11.jpg

T12.jpg

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, misfish said:

I am going to do another turkey one next week. Stuffing is well,going to be on the day. LOL

Thanks Chris

The one I showed Brian was a brined wild Turkey breast stuffed with sun dried tomatoes, Prosciutto and Gruyere then Cherry wood smoked.

:)

DSC03935.JPG

• Like 1

And the tater would be made with . . .

Your friend the rat with a bushy  tail got into one of my Planters where I started a salad crop  For the fall and dug it all up! Tonight he will get a taste of peanutbutter attached to a loaded spring! 

2 hours ago, misfish said:

When you skin it,be careful not to tear the fur,I want the whole hide in tack.  The head part as well .LOL

Not enough to kill but carries quite the sting, I have lost two , they probably left using them as bracelets! :) 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

Not enough to kill but carries quite the sting, I have lost two , they probably left using them as bracelets! :) 

Now you have me crious.  I use the Havahart live release traps for racoons, but what is this one you are talking about?