manitoubass2

cooking thread...

A little psa here. Independent Grocer has whole briskets points on sale for $3.00lb ($40-$45) and trimmed pieces packaged up for $4 lb. ($22 range) Meat manager said he can hardly keep it on the shelves, considering it's way cheaper than burger even. He had to put one aside for himself to smoke.

So I'm leaning towards doing them up in a brine with a #1 cure, so basically a corned beef and then smoke it. From what I'm seeing the prague powder isn't necessary but then it isn't considered corned beef and won't have that red colour and different flavour.  Smokingmeatforums.com is a good place to wander around, check out post #27 in this thread.  https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/to-brine-or-not-to-brine-a-brisket.89757/page-2

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

That is a great site. I am part of it. I learn a ton there . Some guys and gals are smoking everyday.LOL

I am off this week . Cooking that is. Mrs,s is off this week, so her chore for a change. She said sgettie tonight? Ok.

BUT, BUT, BUT

We will need bread

Italian garlic parma bread to be exact. Fresh garlic crushed into a egg wash and sprinkle parma on top.  Would of been nice to have some fresh parma, but do what ya do I say.

DSCF5980.JPG.0f58ff3c225266c34643b71c86d04eba.JPG

DSCF5981.JPG.a97466662bd9cc5c9781773d8fe93164.JPG

1 hour ago, misfish said:

I am off this week . Cooking that is. Mrs,s is off this week, so her chore for a change. She said sgettie tonight? Ok.

BUT, BUT, BUT

We will need bread

Italian garlic parma bread to be exact. Fresh garlic crushed into a egg wash and sprinkle parma on top.  Would of been nice to have some fresh parma, but do what ya do I say.

DSCF5980.JPG.0f58ff3c225266c34643b71c86d04eba.JPG

DSCF5981.JPG.a97466662bd9cc5c9781773d8fe93164.JPG

Looks awesome Brian!  Now with a glass of red wine..............

Thanks Doug

Since I have been off and started this baking stuff, I have yet to buy a loaf of bread,a bag of buns for hot dogs,sausages or burgers.

No frills had hot dog and burger buns on for $1.99 . Those dinky things . I still turned my head and said nope, not going to do it. I can make a batch of 12 reg buns or 6 mama or 4 mando buns with just 3 cups of flour,1 cup of water with yeast and one egg. Yes of course,salt and sugar added and a oz of olive oil .  Put in a zip lock bag, it,s fresh for 4-5 days . Left overs go to croutons .

What I have learned through trial and error and patience . Many say I did not bake the bread I gave them . I said back,who is open to make this ? LOL

Yes,I am proud of myself.  Still trying to find, bread flour.

Edited by misfish

25 minutes ago, misfish said:

Thanks Doug

Since I have been off and started this baking stuff, I have yet to buy a loaf of bread,a bag of buns for hot dogs,sausages or burgers.

No frills had hot dog and burger buns on for $1.99 . Those dinky things . I still turned my head and said nope, not going to do it. I can make a batch of 12 reg buns or 6 mama or 4 mando buns with just 3 cups of flour,1 cup of water with yeast and one egg. Yes of course,salt and sugar added and a oz of olive oil .  Put in a zip lock bag, it,s fresh for 4-5 days . Left overs go to croutons .

What I have learned through trial and error and patience . Many say I did not bake the bread I gave them . I said back,who is open to make this ? LOL

Yes,I am proud of myself.  Still trying to find, bread flour.

All true, and especially PATIENCE.  I am not patient enough to be a baker, except for the real easy stuff!

Doug