Jump to content

manitoubass2

cooking thread...

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Mom always used room temp water to make her Pizza dough.

99.9 %

 

:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's another option for home made bread. Ever heard of Boston Brown Bread? Traditionally it was made in coffee cans and it's steamed in a pot with water in it. Google it. So years back I found an alternative method of making it in 500ml straight sided canning jars. It turned out great and it keeps for a long time in the sealed jars. It's a very dense and heavy bread, a little goes a long way. Now according to the government of course they don't recommend canning breads etc but  screw them, this is only bread and I've never even ever heard of an issue from canning this. I know I've opened jars that were still totally sealed after many months and it was still great. Don't over fill the jars or it will seep out as it expands.

This is the recipe I use,  I didn't add the vanilla and raisins as I don't want it too sweet. Make sure the jars are straight sided and as usual with canning don't over tighten the lids.

http://canninggranny.blogspot.com/2012/01/canning-boston-brown-bread.html

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I've just spent half an hour reading up on canning breads..............pro and con.  I am going to give this one a pass I think.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see any advantage to doing the canning when it's so easy to just make fresh bread as needed. I just started a batch of sourdough starter so I  don't even have to have yeast handy. I'll post if that works out 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, akaShag said:

Hmm, I've just spent half an hour reading up on canning breads..............pro and con.  I am going to give this one a pass I think.

Doug

I'm only talking about the Boston Brown bread here, it's actually intended to be steamed. All I know is what I made turned out great and it's a very unique flavour. I guess if someone was concerned it would be easy to freeze, whether in the jar still or removed and wrapped. I wouldn't be interested in trying other breads.

Cheers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big Cliff said:

I don't see any advantage to doing the canning when it's so easy to just make fresh bread as needed. I just started a batch of sourdough starter so I  don't even have to have yeast handy. I'll post if that works out 😊

This bread is unlike any fresh bread you'll ever have, it's very dense and heavy. It doesn't have to be canned at all, any loaf pan, soup can or juice can can be used, for me it was more about trying something very different. The process is the same regardless, it's steamed in a water bath.

Cheers

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My very first loaf of homemade sourdough bread, it was easier than I thought but I had to modify a couple of recipes; one would have made way too much bread for one person, one didn't include instructions for feeding the starter.... non the less I'm really happy with the results and now I don't need to worry about keeping yeast on hand.

Sourdough Bread.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Cliff

 

Just did 2 full rib racks in brine to smoke Sunday or Monday. Now sitting here watching a Dean Martin Jerry Lewis movie . You,r never too young . LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, misfish said:

Nice Cliff

 

Just did 2 full rib racks in brine to smoke Sunday or Monday. Now sitting here watching a Dean Martin Jerry Lewis movie . You,r never too young . LOL

Me drooling all over the keyboard LOL 🤤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

My very first loaf of homemade sourdough bread, it was easier than I thought but I had to modify a couple of recipes; one would have made way too much bread for one person, one didn't include instructions for feeding the starter.... non the less I'm really happy with the results and now I don't need to worry about keeping yeast on hand.

Sourdough Bread.jpg

Cliff, did you cook that from scratch, no starter?  If yes, please post a recipe and how-to.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I  made my own starter then made the bread, I  did see a recipe for sourdough bread that does use yeast though if you are interested I can try and find it for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure could of used a couple warm slices with butter Cliff to go with my dinner:D

DSCF5424.JPG.5b3565f92157d93a3cd1fae6517ffa8a.JPG

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When this is all over we are going to have a big celebration and a pot luck dinner😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

No, I  made my own starter then made the bread, I  did see a recipe for sourdough bread that does use yeast though if you are interested I can try and find it for you.

No worries Cliff,  I can do a google search.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it has been many moons since I made bannock, and I always cooked it in a cast iron fry pan, or wrapped it around sticks and roasted it over a camp fire.  But my only cast iron fry pan here at the house is a twenty-inch, twenty-pound monster, and I don't put it on my glass stove top.  So I gave it a try with a non-stick fry pan.  It worked out just fine, although I think cast iron would have given me a more golden baked look.  Anybody want the recipe, I am happy to provide.  It was VERY tasty, even if I do say so myself.

Doug

 

bannock.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, akaShag said:

So it has been many moons since I made bannock, and I always cooked it in a cast iron fry pan, or wrapped it around sticks and roasted it over a camp fire.  But my only cast iron fry pan here at the house is a twenty-inch, twenty-pound monster, and I don't put it on my glass stove top.  So I gave it a try with a non-stick fry pan.  It worked out just fine, although I think cast iron would have given me a more golden baked look.  Anybody want the recipe, I am happy to provide.  It was VERY tasty, even if I do say so myself.

Doug

 

bannock.jpg

I would love that recipe please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pleased to oblige............

 

MARCEL’S BANNOCK RECIPE


 

2.5 CUPS ALL PURPOSE FLOUR

5 TSP BAKING POWDER

0.5 TSP SALT

2 TBSP WHITE SUGAR

3 TBSP LARD

1 CUP WATER

 

Combine dry ingredients, mix well, add lard and work it to form fine crumbs.  (Use two table knives to “cut” the dough for this.)  Add water a bit at a time, stir and knead.  Fry in a cast iron frying pan with enough oil (or lard) to keep it from sticking.  Start the pan on high and reduce immediately to medium.  Bannock is cooked when it is golden brown.  This dough can also be shaped into a thick string, wrapped around a green stick, and cooked over an open fire.  Serve warm.

 

For inquiring minds, Marcel is an old buddy, and this is a hunt camp and fishing camp favourite for decades.  After I made the dough, I turned it onto a sheet of lightly floured parchment paper to do the final kneading, and division of the dough into four parts.  It made it easier to work with, and I transferred the four part loaves into the frying pan straight off the parchment paper.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 2:01 PM, smitty55 said:

Doug what kind of pot do you use? Does it have to be cast iron or ceramic coated? All I have is a 6 qt large heavy stainless pot that I use for soups and stews.

 

Cheers

So someone on line mentioned about dutch ovens on sale at CTC for great prices. It wasn't in the flyer but when I went online they have some great deals on Paderno cookware. Sure enough their 6.5 qt dutch oven regular price $339 is on sale for $99 and the 5 qt. is on as well for $80. Needless to say I phoned up my local store and had them hold one for me. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/paderno-dutch-oven-red-6-5-qt-1423479p.html#srp

 On a side note, that store in CP is as of 6pm now going to be closed for anything but online ordering so you may want to check your store.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

So someone on line mentioned about dutch ovens on sale at CTC for great prices. It wasn't in the flyer but when I went online they have some great deals on Paderno cookware. Sure enough their 6.5 qt dutch oven regular price $339 is on sale for $99 and the 5 qt. is on as well for $80. Needless to say I phoned up my local store and had them hold one for me. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/paderno-dutch-oven-red-6-5-qt-1423479p.html#srp

 On a side note, that store in CP is as of 6pm now going to be closed for anything but online ordering so you may want to check your store.

 

Cheers

Excellent deal smitty!  And a top quality product.  Mine is a Lagostina, also bought at CTC on sale years ago.

Doug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had some apples that were starting to look a little tired so I made this. (didn't make quite enough pastry so I had to do a lattice top LOL)

Pie.jpg.f89a9e5ed013545b5c3bd7d25bd84742.jpg

One thing I'm not loosing over this pandemic is weight LOL.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Cliff said:

One thing I'm not loosing over this pandemic is weight LOL.

You dont have to remind me Cliff.  I am seeing it after only a week . DAMIT.

Sitting and eating and well, some drinks too. LOL

Very nice pie Sir .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, misfish said:

You dont have to remind me Cliff.  I am seeing it after only a week . DAMIT.

Sitting and eating and well, some drinks too. LOL

Very nice pie Sir .

Steelies not in the river mouths yet, Brian?  I guess they open inland on the third Saturday, same as ever?  That was an annual religious holiday for me for years, right up there with the first Monday in November and what used to be the last Saturday in June..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Steelies not in the river mouths yet, Brian?  I guess they open inland on the third Saturday, same as ever?  That was an annual religious holiday for me for years, right up there with the first Monday in November and what used to be the last Saturday in June..........

Sticking inside for now Doug . Water is way up here . Maybe give it a go mid week .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...