cooking thread...

What the heck are "HIP" steaks? Top round, maybe, or ????????

Never thought of apple cider vinegar but I bet that would be good, especially if you added brown sugar or maple syrup to the marinade........

Doug

I don't shoot 'em Doug nor butcher them but my friend tells me there 3/4" slabs from the hip loin. :dunno:

1 part apple cider vinegar to 3 parts olive oil, fresh cracked black pepper and fresh pressed garlic cloves, marinate for a few days the medium rare on the BBQ.

The crowd from "Weekend at Bernie's" will attest to there deliciousness.

Thanks spiel!

Those mushrooms sure transform the dish!

Sauteed in butter with just minced garlic, cracked black pepper and a touch of salt.

You should smell it now! The rest of the chilli has been on low for about 20 hours haha, the longer its on the better it gets

back to Spiel.........thanks for that. If you get a chance to take a picture of the (raw) steaks that will probably clear up the mystery for me. I do shoot them and butcher them, and always interested in what other folks call their cuts of meat.

For example, I call the long muscle against the backbone loins, lots of people call them backstraps.

Best regards,

Doug

Im stumped on what to cool today???

Tomorrow is my wifes bday so thats french onion soup that is unreal good, sent to me from a board member here

hmmmmm what to make?

Maybe crab cakes made with walleye/crappie instead of crab. Yeah i think thats it

If you really want to top that off right try baking her a scratch chocolate cake topped with real icing, not that oil based crap from the store. I only ever use my moms recipe and it's the best. Not hard to make at all.

Cheers

Edited by smitty55

Oh nice ketchenany!

I love making pizzas from scratch!

I dont have a pit to cook in though lol

Do you deliver?

That pit is an outdoor wood oven in a Gazebo with a full kitchen BBQ, bar and more. NOT mine, my daughter's father in law. On Father's day we gather there and probably make 20-25.

The ones in the pan are made in our reg oven. Better than any delivered.

That pit is an outdoor wood oven in a Gazebo with a full kitchen BBQ, bar and more. NOT mine, my daughter's father in law. On Father's day we gather there and probably make 20-25.

The ones in the pan are made in our reg oven. Better than any delivered.

Man thats awesome im jealous!

And yes homemade is WAY better then delivery

This thread continually makes me hungry.....BACON!

back to Spiel.........thanks for that. If you get a chance to take a picture of the (raw) steaks that will probably clear up the mystery for me. I do shoot them and butcher them, and always interested in what other folks call their cuts of meat.

For example, I call the long muscle against the backbone loins, lots of people call them backstraps.

Best regards,

Doug

Here you go Doug.

IJ3wW5j.jpg

Doug, just got back from the butcher shop.

Fresh pork belly cut into about 3 lb pieces and trimed nice and square (I find that makes it easier to cure evenly and smoke properly) vacuum packed so it can be frozen for later if you want, $4.75/lb (if ordering a slab which is typically 9-10 lbs) $5.00/lb if you just want to buy a piece at a time.

I just ordered a lamb $5.00 a pound cut and wrapped to my specifications. It is quite a bit higher than the last one but still seems to be a fair price. Average weight about 50-60 lbs.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you, I had to work yesterday.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff! Last time I asked, my butcher was only going to bring in pork bellies with the bone in, which is just so much wasted weight, and the price of trimmed pork bellies after I did the trimming would have been way out there.............

So I bought twelve pounds of double smoked side bacon from a German butcher shop down in Southwestern Ontario, and it is darned near as good as home-made but with zero work!

Doug

Well, if you want good bacon for the price go to National Groceries.

I have bought the SunSpun 14-16 slices to the lb 5KG box there for around $33.00/box.

It is excellent for store bought bacon but I still prefer to do my own thing whenever I can!