cooking thread...

Loaded up the grill. Thick loin chops from Costco, hand made sausages from zhers fresh today. The butcher there is a newf.  These sausages are the bomb. Some tater and a bit of green to stay on the healthy side. Well except all the budda. That Is why there is no sour cream. LOL

20220525_151602.jpg.572c716ee53b3784f01df6a2356d8298.jpg

20220525_155853.jpg.733b996bfd8bd8b0803832ed43717f6b.jpg

20220525_160653.jpg.0e74c4d5fbf7bbe86df04daabf4fff6a.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight's supper was bacon-wrapped halibut chunks, oven-sauteed wild leeks, and fries.  It was fairly toothsome.  But I am not much of a picture-taker when it comes to food.  My wife thinks taking a picture of a meal is downright BIZARRE.  (Yes, we are not exactly millenials...)  😉

Hey SINKER!  Better haul your butt down here while I still have a piece of halibut for you!

Doug

• Like 1

On 4/25/2022 at 7:24 PM, Fisherman said:

This works for either regular white or a medium rye bread. If you're making white just use 3 3/4 cup white, for rye split as below.

2 1/4 cups white flour,  1 1/2 cups rye flour (bulk barn).

1/3 cup sugar, pinch of salt

1 pack of Fleishmans fast rising yeast and 6 teaspoons of Fleishmans bread booster.

1 1/2 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons butter (no margi, yuck).

Mix dry ingredients in the mixer bowl,  warm the milk for about 2 minutes in MW with butter til it's melted, stir and add to the dry mix.  I run the mixer with the dough hook for about 4 minutes on #2 speed.  Pre heat oven to about 150F for a couple minutes and turn off.

Take the dough and knead it for about 2 minutes on a floured surface,  and fit into a 9x4 inch bread pan, spray with PAM, (I prefer glass pan).  Put into the oven for about 45-50 mins or until doubled.  Take out of oven, preheat to 350F, insert loaf pan for about 23-25 minutes.  Take it out of loaf pan onto a cooky grill and let it cool.  Store in a paper bag, plastic will make it sweat too  much.  If the smell doesn't make you drool, you have covid. I found the Fleishmans bread booster made a big difference.

IMG_20220227_130325.jpg

IMG_20220227_130325.jpg

I'm making this as we speak to go with my homemade Lemon Chicken and Bulgar soup. Stay tuned. :)

So my wife was away last evening and I thawed a package of elk steaks my buddy had brought from BC.  No sense sharing elk if I don't have to!  I have never butchered an elk, so did not recognize the cut.  For sure the small steaks were cut from a larger piece, and my guess is bottom round.  Anyways, elk really should be eaten no more cooked than medium rare, and it goes from rare to medium in a heartbeat.  Difficult to achieve on the BBQ, even with indirect heat, so I pan-fried them, and even took PICTURES!!!  That orange stuff on the plate is a vegetable.

20220605_182912.jpg

20220605_184908.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spiel said:

Soup was delish as was the bread. The bread was free formed as I don't have a loaf pan, yet.

And I still need to find this  --->  "Fleishmans bread booster made a big difference" 

lemon chicken soup1.jpg

Rainy day foodie eats. Nice bud.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akaShag said:

So my wife was away last evening and I thawed a package of elk steaks my buddy had brought from BC.  No sense sharing elk if I don't have to!  I have never butchered an elk, so did not recognize the cut.  For sure the small steaks were cut from a larger piece, and my guess is bottom round.  Anyways, elk really should be eaten no more cooked than medium rare, and it goes from rare to medium in a heartbeat.  Difficult to achieve on the BBQ, even with indirect heat, so I pan-fried them, and even took PICTURES!!!  That orange stuff on the plate is a vegetable.

20220605_182912.jpg

20220605_184908.jpg

I like the eggs on those fine looking steaks, nice touch. 😃

30 minutes ago, Spiel said:

I like the eggs on those fine looking steaks, nice touch. 😃

Yes, my favourite brunch is pan-fried deer tenderloins with eggs done in the pan juices.  These little elk steaks were fabulous with those nice runny eggs!  😁

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A twist on breakfast for dinner.

A deep dish Quiche (Western Omelette style) and homemade breakfast sausage loaf.
Everything homemade including the pastry shell (my first ever, much to learn yet) and the bread crumbs in the sausage loaf which was served with some home grown homemade Rhubarb Chutney.

DDQuiche1.JPG

DDQuiche2.JPG

DDQuiche3.JPG

DDQuiche4.JPG

DDQuiche5.JPG

DDQuiche7.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a fishing trip to Haida Gwaii.  Fishing was OK but not stellar by any means, and DFO slashed the possession limit on spring (Chinook) salmon from 2 per day/4 in possession, to 1 per day/2 in possession, just before our trip.  We caught no lingcod, and only small halibuts, and the springs were not so big either.  But the pinks were around in big numbers, so we brought home some pinks as part of our catch.

And so, I was making a batch of candied salmon, and a batch of smoked salmon with the pinks.  Imagine my dismay when I found that my faithful Big Chief smoker has barely enough heat to make the smoke, and not enough to COOK the fish, even after six hours with thin fillets.  😲

So I finished the candied salmon in the oven, and canned the rest of it.  I did not take final photos of the candied stuff, just one of the prepped fillets and one of the fillets before they went into the smoker.  It's OK, but it's not nearly as good as coho, spring, or sockeye...........

Indian candy (2).jpg

Indian candy (1).jpg

• Like 2