cooking thread...

7 minutes ago, akaShag said:

You are making me HUNGRY...........

Looks awesome!

Have you tried "no'knead" bread?  It is also fabulous!

Doug

Thanks Doug.

I have tried "no'nead" bread back in the early Covid days but I've not done so in some time now.

On 4/21/2022 at 7:29 AM, Spiel said:

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my dough and crust making capabilities.
Heck I might even venture to get the pasta making attachment for it in time.

I bought both of my daughter's the same machine last fall when they were on sale and they love 'em, so seeing them on sale again (CTC) I decided to get one of my own.

mixer.jpg

Good move, I bought one about 5-6 weeks ago, oh my what a difference compared to the old one.  You can even get meat grinder attachments for that one.   Making bread dough, takes about 10 minutes.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 4:56 PM, Spiel said:

What to do with leftovers. Well when it's left over pizza dough and grated cheese from Tuesday and hot Italian sausage from yesterday along with a few Spanish onions needing to be used up......
You make sausage, onion and cheese stuffed Calzones.

My craftsmanship needs work but I assure you, delicious! 

Calzone2.jpg

Calzone3.jpg

Calzone4.jpg

I bet they taste the same if you were blindfolded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisherman said:

You want a foolproof bread dough recipe for white or rye bread, let me know I'll post it

Please, for the rye recipe again.  I lost it, AFTER I went and bought rye flour etc.............and did not want to go searching through 150 pages of this thread to find it....

Doug

• Like 1

This works for either regular white or a medium rye bread. If you're making white just use 3 3/4 cup white, for rye split as below.

2 1/4 cups white flour,  1 1/2 cups rye flour (bulk barn).

1/3 cup sugar, pinch of salt

1 pack of Fleishmans fast rising yeast and 6 teaspoons of Fleishmans bread booster.

1 1/2 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons butter (no margi, yuck).

Mix dry ingredients in the mixer bowl,  warm the milk for about 2 minutes in MW with butter til it's melted, stir and add to the dry mix.  I run the mixer with the dough hook for about 4 minutes on #2 speed.  Pre heat oven to about 150F for a couple minutes and turn off.

Take the dough and knead it for about 2 minutes on a floured surface,  and fit into a 9x4 inch bread pan, spray with PAM, (I prefer glass pan).  Put into the oven for about 45-50 mins or until doubled.  Take out of oven, preheat to 350F, insert loaf pan for about 23-25 minutes.  Take it out of loaf pan onto a cooky grill and let it cool.  Store in a paper bag, plastic will make it sweat too  much.  If the smell doesn't make you drool, you have covid. I found the Fleishmans bread booster made a big difference.

IMG_20220227_130325.jpg

IMG_20220227_130325.jpg

Edited by Fisherman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fisherman said:

This works for either regular white or a medium rye bread. If you're making white just use 3 3/4 cup white, for rye split as below.

2 1/4 cups white flour,  1 1/2 cups rye flour (bulk barn).

1/3 cup sugar, pinch of salt

1 pack of Fleishmans fast rising yeast and 6 teaspoons of Fleishmans bread booster.

1 1/2 cups of milk and 4 tablespoons butter (no margi, yuck).

Mix dry ingredients in the mixer bowl,  warm the milk for about 2 minutes in MW with butter til it's melted, stir and add to the dry mix.  I run the mixer with the dough hook for about 4 minutes on #2 speed.  Pre heat oven to about 150F for a couple minutes and turn off.

Take the dough and knead it for about 2 minutes on a floured surface,  and fit into a 9x4 inch bread pan, spray with PAM, (I prefer glass pan).  Put into the oven for about 45-50 mins or until doubled.  Take out of oven, preheat to 350F, insert loaf pan for about 23-25 minutes.  Take it out of loaf pan onto a cooky grill and let it cool.  Store in a paper bag, plastic will make it sweat too  much.  If the smell doesn't make you drool, you have covid. I found the Fleishmans bread booster made a big difference.

IMG_20220227_130325.jpg

IMG_20220227_130325.jpg

Thank you.
There's a few items I'll need to get on my next grocery run.  :)

Last evening, Artisan Barese Sausage (a gift) done on the BBQ that will be plated soon on my home made sausage buns along with my home made Macaroni and Tuna salad. No plated pictures, sausage was stellar, the sausage buns could use some improvement. Over all not a bad first effort.

Barese1.jpg

Barese2.jpg

• Like 1

So this happened today. The recipe has been in my book marked folder for sometime and I decided to give it a go.
It turned out pretty gosh darn good. However next time I would pre toast the flour or perhaps bake the empty potato pastry shell without filling.
I also did a small loaf of bread as well since the oven was hot.

I served it with a local grocery store rotisserie chicken and steamed Broccoli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4leNJoIi-Q

Potatopie1.jpg

potatopie2.jpg

potatopie3.jpg

• Like 2

I tried something different. Smoked cod and halibut. I have to say,It sure turned out nice.

20220511_114855.jpg.4cef18ed539c0d2112b8f8438125d2ae.jpg

Dinner tonight is chicken and turkey legs indirect with tater and ceasers salad.

20220511_135626.jpg.414e665de20b61f117e358a7ca18c686.jpg

Done like dinner

20220511_152706.jpg.a3600f0a1a9f36a778b09f68c32b48bf.jpg

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

Talking to the guy that owns MEATHEAD ( Dan ) I asked about a larger bottle of the spice mix he sells. Turns out he is going bigger. Bigger is better some say, but for me and this stuff, I am all over, bigger better.

This stuff is amazing. Bought early April and already all gone.

20220512_145011.jpg.f9b6132f5f64aca9e1bb76797e2bf9ec.jpg

Giving the bacon seasoning a try tonight on a fish fry. Stay tooned, for that report.

In honour of consuming my last serving of homemade Lobster Bisque from the freezer I opted to make my first loaf of white bread.
No complaints.  :D

I'm really starting to enjoy this bread making thing.  🤩

whitebread1.jpg

whitebread2.jpg

whitebread3.jpg

On 5/12/2022 at 3:05 PM, misfish said:

Talking to the guy that owns MEATHEAD ( Dan ) I asked about a larger bottle of the spice mix he sells. Turns out he is going bigger. Bigger is better some say, but for me and this stuff, I am all over, bigger better.

This stuff is amazing. Bought early April and already all gone.

20220512_145011.jpg.f9b6132f5f64aca9e1bb76797e2bf9ec.jpg

Giving the bacon seasoning a try tonight on a fish fry. Stay tooned, for that report.

MEATHEAD seasoning eh, that's the crude moniker for army police, amongst a host of other words.

19 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

MEATHEAD seasoning eh, that's the crude moniker for army police, amongst a host of other words.

I hear it is BONEhead these days, because the price of meat is too high........................😉

• Haha 2