cooking thread...

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Ok Joe.

I will stick to smoking them. I don't got all week. 😆 

Well, its not as if you have to stand there and watch it! It's a set it and forget it thing. Also, Brisket is as you know a very tough meat and it takes that amount of time to break down all the collagen in the meat.

BTW - typical time in the drink is usually less, just depends on what you are cooking.

HH

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Well, its not as if you have to stand there and watch it! It's a set it and forget it thing. Also, Brisket is as you know a very tough meat and it takes that amount of time to break down all the collagen in the meat.

BTW - typical time in the drink is usually less, just depends on what you are cooking.

HH

All I've done in my sous vide so far is steaks at 129° for 3-4 hours. Thinking of trying it today for the pork tenderloins I smoked yesterday at 145°.

9 hours ago, Headhunter said:

Probably only need a couple of hours for the tenderloin.

HH

Yea it was in the smoker for a good while. One of the best features of the sous vide is that basically to a point your food stops cooking once the meat reaches the water temp so it's hard to overcook.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I had some gifted smoked Ontario Steelhead and thought what to do.......

Ya, had some with a cold beer but I had much to use up.

So this happened.......

Creamy Blue Cheese Sauce with smoked trout bits over fresh pasta. Yum, yum!  :)

dinner1.jpg

dinner2.jpg

• Like 2

I grabbed some Blade Roasts on sale a bit ago. Took it from the freezer, directly into the Sous Vide (rub applied to the frozen roast) at 133 F for 72 hours. (Brian is going to lose it reading this!)

After 72 hours, remove roast from vacuum pack, pat dry with paper towel and re-apply rub (fresh cracked pepper, garlic, kosher salt and Tim Hortens instant coffee) and onto my BBQ side burner to brown for five minutes or less. Let stand for ten minutes. Slice against the grain...

HH

Blade Roast 72 hours.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Headhunter said:

I grabbed some Blade Roasts on sale a bit ago. Took it from the freezer, directly into the Sous Vide (rub applied to the frozen roast) at 133 F for 72 hours. (Brian is going to lose it reading this!)

After 72 hours, remove roast from vacuum pack, pat dry with paper towel and re-apply rub (fresh cracked pepper, garlic, kosher salt and Tim Hortens instant coffee) and onto my BBQ side burner to brown for five minutes or less. Let stand for ten minutes. Slice against the grain...

HH

Blade Roast 72 hours.jpg

Fine dinning above 5 star 😊

• Like 1

But I DID take some photos a couple days ago, when I canned some BC "Spring" salmon.  I was out to Port Hardy on the Northeast coast of Vancouver Island back in August for a three day charter, and we came home with our limits of springs, halibut and rock cod, and a few bonus coho salmon as well.  "Spring" is what they call chinooks.  I had booked those specific dates because that in most years is when the biggest springs of the year are caught.  BUT this year all of the salmon runs were about three weeks late.  The biggest salmon were in the 20 pound range.  Biggest halibut was 65 or 70 pounds; biggest rock cod was over 30 pounds.

ANYWAYS, I had two big fillets left and decided to can them.  Pics show one flllet whole, in chunks, and in the jars.  Two big fillets gave me 13 jars and I cooked the two tail pieces that night for supper.  Very toothsome.

Doug

canning spring salmon (5).jpg

canning spring salmon (6).jpg

canning spring salmon (4).jpg

Edited by akaShag
  • Like 2

So I was supposed to go ice fishing Thursday morning.  Went outside, my steps and driveway were glare ice from freezing drizzle.  But it looked like that was over, so off I went.  About ten minutes away on the 401, and no the freezing drizzle had not stopped at all, I decided this was fairly retarded and turned around.

BUT!!!  I was counting on a feed of fresh perch for supper.  I do have a couple bags of fillets in the freezer, but I freeze them in water, and no way they would be thawed by supper.  So>>>>>>I picked out a small package, about a pound, of halibut from my BC trip.  My favourite way to eat hali is to wrap chunks in bacon and cook it in the oven, but I thought I would try something different.  So I sliced it into skinless trips, coated it with Fish Crisp, and pan-fried the strips.  AWESOME.  Very "meaty", two strips was enough for me for a meal.  And yesterday for lunch they made a delicious sandwich, cold, with mayo and lettuce.  My new go-go halibut recipe.  And this time I did take pics!  😁

halibut strips (1).jpg

halibut strips (2).jpg

halibut strips (3).jpg

halibut strips (4).jpg

halibut strips (5).jpg

• Like 2

To say that I am "hooked" (see what I did there! LOL) on these Boneless Blade Roast might be a bit of an understatement! Cooked up another for Sunday's dinner. Again, 72 hours in the Sous Vide at 133F. I took it directly from the freezer, added kosher salt, black pepper and instant coffee to the bag and vacuum sealed. it then went right into the drink.

After the 72 hours, I took it out of the bag, dried the roast with paper towels and put on another layer of slat and pepper.

From there, onto the side burner on the Napoleon for 30 seconds per side. A quick ten minute rest and sliced again the grain. Note the dark "crust" a result of both the instant coffee as well as the high heat from the side burner.

What you see on the cutting board is what was left of the roast after dinner. 

Tonight, we are having home made French Onion soup and roast beef sandwiches with melted swiss and au jou for dipping.

Unfortunately this is the last of the blade roast I scored on sale...

HH

blade roast.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Yup. Mrs,s need to eat when she gets home from work.

That's where I'm at now that I've retired. Never knew how hard it is to make something different for supper every night. For me, it's no big deal, throw a couple of hotdogs in a pan and I'm eating in 10 minutes. That only works once every couple of months for the wife. Tonight is smothered baked pork chops, served on a bed of rice. Tomorrow I'm thinking buttered chicken. Homemade butter sauce of course; she likes curried foods but not too heavy on the spices.

She's worked, raised the kids, and cooked for all these years. It's my turn to give back. Plus she's the money winner right now and I don't want to screw up my weekly allowance!!! LOL

Dan.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, DanD said:

Plus she's the money winner right now and I don't want to screw up my weekly allowance!!! LOL

So funny. I do a run to my freezer and pick random piece of meat day before if I am not sure what to cook next.
We love doing that. So, yesterday chili shrimps 🍤 today delicious duck 🦆

Have a look at this vid on a shrimp creole recipe. The guy in the vid is a bit annoying but the recipe is great.

I followed the recipe as closely as I could. There's no such thing (that I found here) as holy trinity veg in the frozen section at the grocery store. So I used fresh onion, celery, and bell peppers and lightly sautéed them just to soften. I did have some of this on hand.

1288049942_SlapYaMama.jpg.25539d488c3fdb80046e877d1b154ee8.jpg

It's a great seasoning, that is good in seafood, beef, chicken, and pork. I made up a batch of burger patties with it and they were a big hit around the BBQ. It has a nice little bit of heat to it, just to the point of knowing there's a spice there, but allows the flavor of all the ingredients to come through. Anyway, give the recipe a try. My wife said it was restaurant quality. She rarely ever complements one of my "different" recipes. 

Dan.

Slap Ing.jpg

• Like 1