cooking thread...

2 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Brian, you know you can hang them in the smoker from the get-go, right?  They drip on the tinfoil, and you don't need to clean your crisper...............

Doug

They need to dry first for 24 hrs. I also tried what you mentioned a ways back. I did not rinse them. So much nicer IMO. I do use less salt though. 1/2 cup to 2 cups brown sugar. I may give 2/3 cup a try next time.

4 hours ago, misfish said:

They need to dry first for 24 hrs

So you do this in the fridge?  When I make candied salmon, I just let it air dry for an hour, on the smoker racks, before I smoke it.

Doug

Edited by akaShag

Always cooking something up but not always taking pictures. I've recently made a huge pot of Chilli that had 6 pounds of meat in it, a small pot of Clam Chowder and and a large Casserole of Baked Pasta with Sausage and Cheese.

Today, this monster coil was done on the BBQ (pre rain), the best Hot Italian Sausage bar none!
Portioned off onto crusty rolls with choice toppings is on the menu for dinner tonight and tomorrow and......   :D

Cobra.JPG

• Like 3

No rain here my friend. Beauty morning on the river . Home to cook up some cod cakes and cold Bush,s beans. Sure wish we could get the big cans here. They are dear at $2+ a can for the small ones here. But well worth it. Costco had a full deboned side of salt cod this week , paid $12. Put the hole thing in 10 pounds of taters,onions and newfie savory.  DELISH.

PA040011.JPG.950a666a0d86f8bbb8838fd2f919e5c3.JPG

• Like 2

15 hours ago, misfish said:

No rain here my friend. Beauty morning on the river . Home to cook up some cod cakes and cold Bush,s beans. Sure wish we could get the big cans here. They are dear at $2+ a can for the small ones here. But well worth it. Costco had a full deboned side of salt cod this week , paid $12. Put the hole thing in 10 pounds of taters,onions and newfie savory.  DELISH.

I'd eat that.  :)

19 hours ago, misfish said:

Oh Man!!!

You need to stop; that looks so good!!!!

All I know is that I'm not showing this portion of the thread to my wife! She'd be in the truck now heading for your place. She loves her seafood and those cakes would send her over the top.

Keep up with the recipes; I've already stolen some and looked like a chef making a great meal.

Thank you!!!

Dan.

PS:

Could you PM me the actual recipe for these cakes? I'm retired now and have time to collect and hopefully make something like this for our supper. My wife still works(Someone needs to bring cashola into the house) and I'm now the chief cook and bottle washer. LOL

Dan.... 

Edited by DanD

Another Lasagne day.

The large one meat laden (ground pork and beef) and the smaller one meat free for my youngest daughter.
Loaded with goodies and can you believe it, over $70.00 to buy the ingredients. What inflation?  :(

*Note..... in the first image I forgot to include to two 500 mil tubs of Ricotta but rest assured, it's all in there.  ;)
*Also note.....the small one was 7 pounds pre cooking.  My scale couldn't weigh the second one as it tops out at 15 pounds.  :D

Las1.JPG

Las2.JPG

Las4.JPG

• Like 1

Thats a lot of carbs there pal. Looks mighty filling. LOL

Busy day here as well .

I have learned ( finally )that fishing the riv up here with -3-7 temps,is not fun for the stick eyes, so stayed  home,tie some,smoke some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Smoked some

Had my last treat pack last weekend,so made some new,,,,,,,,,

20211127_105514.jpg.44e9bbf872b094620f08567eca302387.jpg

When that was done,I put another flank in the smoker. Had lots of time still as it was only noon. Started at Lew O,clock . HAHAHA

I tried something different this time. I still salted and peppered the steak,but I vac pac sealed it, and left in the fridge 24 hrs. I am not sure if this was the best thing . It sure sucked out a lot of the moisture . Smothered it with mustard and in it went. Pulled at 4 pm,in oven to finish it off,as it was cold outside, and could not get the temps up. Turned out not bad,but think I will not vac pac again. It was still very good, almost like a corned beef texture, great flavor, but a little on the tough side .  Trial and error.

PA100014.JPG.809d1f37f8b5d8f036fdadfdeceb8a8e.JPG

Fried up some fresh garlic,mushrooms and tomatoes. Warmed up some naan bread.

PA100015.JPG.cab55fe7aab07acbe4ccba972d346a51.JPG

Spread some sauce,layer the meat,top with the fried and chow down.

PA100016.JPG.b4b0ff48a27c710718c3b1814aa0eeee.JPG

15 hours ago, misfish said:

Thats a lot of carbs there pal. Looks mighty filling. LOL

Busy day here as well .

I have learned ( finally )that fishing the riv up here with -3-7 temps,is not fun for the stick eyes, so stayed  home,tie some,smoke some,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Smoked some

Had my last treat pack last weekend,so made some new,,,,,,,,,

When that was done,I put another flank in the smoker. Had lots of time still as it was only noon. Started at Lew O,clock . HAHAHA

I tried something different this time. I still salted and peppered the steak,but I vac pac sealed it, and left in the fridge 24 hrs. I am not sure if this was the best thing . It sure sucked out a lot of the moisture . Smothered it with mustard and in it went. Pulled at 4 pm,in oven to finish it off,as it was cold outside, and could not get the temps up. Turned out not bad,but think I will not vac pac again. It was still very good, almost like a corned beef texture, great flavor, but a little on the tough side .  Trial and error.

Fried up some fresh garlic,mushrooms and tomatoes. Warmed up some naan bread.

PA100015.JPG.cab55fe7aab07acbe4ccba972d346a51.JPG

Spread some sauce,layer the meat,top with the fried and chow down

That all looks top shelf buddy but that spoon, I'm digging that spoon.  ;)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, misfish said:

I tried something different this time. I still salted and peppered the steak,but I vac pac sealed it, and left in the fridge 24 hrs.

I watched a cooking show last night . The guy did this with a cheek. He then proceeded the next day to put in one of those suea chef things. It looked pretty darn good. Got me to thinking,I best buy one of those things. When they go on sale.

Which one is good ? I do not want to spend crazy money on one .

Edited by misfish

On 11/20/2021 at 9:17 AM, Spiel said:

Just a little heads up JD.
If you're still looking at Air Fryers CTC has the T-Fal Digital Air Fryer on for 55% off.

Marked down to $99.99 from $229.99. 

I notice that Walmart has several air fryers on for close to half price today.  I don’t know anything about these though. 

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kalorik-maxx-digital-air-fryer-oven-with-10-accessories-afo-50967-ss-stainless-steel/6000203449373

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/frigidaire-25l-stainless-steel-air-fryer-oven-stainless-steel/6000203031384

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/kalorik-digital-air-fryer-ft-50533-bk-black/6000203418179

9 hours ago, misfish said:

I watched a cooking show last night . The guy did this with a cheek. He then proceeded the next day to put in one of those suea chef things. It looked pretty darn good. Got me to thinking,I best buy one of those things. When they go on sale.

Are you referring to a Sous Vides?

• 2 weeks later...

This is weird...........my screen shows no replies for two weeks, but I know there were a whole bunch.

Three nights ago, I tried doing a venison hind shank in the slow cooker, turned out excellent.  Then because the juice for that one was kind of sweet, I thought I would make a sweet and savoury venison pot pie with the left-over juice and shank meat.  In fact I made four, and they were also very toothsome.

Today's project was a canner load of side bacon.  I bought commercial bacon (Costco), cooked it almost done in the oven, then pressure canned it.  Somewhere in the last 165 pages is my step-by-step "how to" for this.  But it is VERY handy to have a jar or two of bacon on hand.  Pop the lid and fifteen seconds in the microwave and you have hot bacon for whatever pleases you.

Doug

On 11/28/2021 at 12:28 PM, misfish said:

Brian,

I've been on a roll for the past few months using a "Sous Vide" as much as possible! I bought a bunch of Blade roasts when they were on sale. I got them for under $24.00. Two are resting in the freezer and one I cooked in my Sous Vide for 30 hours  at 133F. Along with the meat, I also added... fresh thyme and a dry rub. Into the vacuum pack and into the water bath for as I said 30 hours.

The roast came out perfectly med rare. A quick trip out to the BBQ set on sear for 5 minutes to brown it up and it was glorious. Cut thin against the grain and you could cut it with your fork!

Tonight, I am putting jerk wings in it for 2 hours at 155F, then into the convection oven to brown. Because the Sous Vide "cooks" the meat in it's own juices, there is no need to marinate any more, the cooking process flavours the meat.

I also have a full beef brisket in the freezer. That will take about 40-50 hours in the Sous Vide at 155F. Once cooked, it will go into the fridge for 3 hours, then onto the BBQ for browning!

As far as which machine to buy, there are basically two kinds to consider. The lower priced units are virtually the same as the higher priced units with the only real difference being blue tooth connected to your phone for remote monitoring.  Typically they can be had had for under a hundred bucks, without the blue tooth option. I know that CTC has them on sale right now for around $80.00.

(If you are an Air Miles person, they are currently available at a reduced cost, thats where I got mine)

HH

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 12:27 PM, Headhunter said:

That will take about 40-50 hours in the Sous Vide at 155F

Is this a mistype Joe ? :w00t:

I made up some stuffed shells with ricotta,fresh fried spinach,parma,fresh garlic,salt pepper and mozzarella. Topped with some marinara and mozzarella cheese.

PA250001.JPG.1fdfd6e0f72d61d2cbd655bc9da143e5.JPG

PA250002.JPG.f04195ecb5e376ff02c99d06fed7b6dc.JPG

PA250003.JPG.62ae77651da313803d2a089392534678.JPG

PA250004.JPG.120a455ee3d77a1a066d1193cc8cdeb8.JPG

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, misfish said:

Is this a mistype Joe ? :w00t:

I made up some stuffed shells with ricotta,fresh fried spinach,parma,fresh garlic,salt pepper and mozzarella. Topped with some marinara and mozzarella cheese.

PA250001.JPG.1fdfd6e0f72d61d2cbd655bc9da143e5.JPG

PA250002.JPG.f04195ecb5e376ff02c99d06fed7b6dc.JPG

PA250003.JPG.62ae77651da313803d2a089392534678.JPG

PA250004.JPG.120a455ee3d77a1a066d1193cc8cdeb8.JPG

I'm in for a serving or two.  :D

39 minutes ago, Spiel said:

I'm in for a serving or two.  :D

Thanks

Good thing we live a good distance apart bud, as we would both be FF. LMAO

We will have to wait til tomorrow to sample. Left over roast of beast and veggies tonight. Those shells will be served as a side to pork cutlets I made/cooked and vaced packed away for later consumption .;)

• Like 1