cooking thread...

So dinner last night turned out great.The more I use the sous vide the more I like it. A quick sear in the cast iron and the meat was excellent. As for the puffball this was the first time I tried it this way. Mixed some parm in my smoked bread crumbs, dipped the pieces in egg wash, then the bread crumbs and fried in smokin' hot bacon grease. Without doubt the best puffball I have ever eaten in over 40 years, nice and crispy on the outside and just right inside. Wifey said it was the best meal she's had in a long time. My new go to for sure.

Fried Puffball.JPG

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, akaShag said:

Yep, where you been OIM?

Doug

I've been MIA, the rescue mission was short lived and when it turned into a body retreival nobody showed up. Seriously though I've been trying hard to reduce the 25 pounds I gained eating like a swine did to me during this pandemic that we are all trying to deal with as I swear every recipe on this thread has bacon in it. All those Docs on CNN and others say even over the next 10 years our hospitals will still be overloaded with all the patients that gained poundage, a meteoric increase in stroke and heart decease associated with eating bacon. I saw bacon flavoured ice cream at our County Fair this past Saturday. I had the bacon Funnel Cake, mmmmmm. I have pretty well every pair of lounge wear pants they make. 

Johnny D/Selkirk On.

Edited by Old Ironmaker
Whats a puffball Doug?

4 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I've been MIA, the rescue mission was short lived and when it turned into a body retreival nobody showed up. Seriously though I've been trying hard to reduce the 25 pounds I gained eating like a swine did to me during this pandemic that we are all trying to deal with as I swear every recipe on this thread has bacon in it. All those Docs on CNN and others say even over the next 10 years our hospitals will still be overloaded with all the patients that gained poundage, a meteoric increase in stroke and heart decease associated with eating bacon. I saw bacon flavoured ice cream at our County Fair this past Saturday. I had the bacon Funnel Cake, mmmmmm. I have pretty well every pair of lounge wear pants they make. 

Johnny D/Selkirk On.

Yeah, I tell people there is more of me to love..........😁

I did a seafood chowder a week or so ago that started with my home-smoked side bacon, cut in chunks, and a whole bunch of bacon fat (from the same stuff, sliced and fried in the frying pan), then I sauteed the onions and celery in that.  A very fine start to a mighty tasty chowder, even if I do say so myself!  But it ain't low cal and it ain't low sodium!!!!😲

Doug

• Like 3

So I'm finally finished my pickling for the year, I'm up to 80 jars now. The last three batches were all done with green tomatoes with those recipes I posted earlier. Two were the pickles. Spiel, I used the salt like I said and it drew out almost 3 cups of liquid overnight, so I'm thinking that was a good thing to help keep them firm seeing as I did also use a hot pack and processed them for 10 minutes. Haven't tried them yet as I generally like to wait 3 months for pickles. I did have one mishap though, when I was putting the B&B batch in the water bath somehow the bottom fell out of one of the jars in one piece but fortunately all the contents stayed in the jar long enough for me to pull it back out and drop it in the garbage. Only the second time that has ever happened. Strange, it wasn't like there was a sudden temp change. The last batch I did was that green tomato relish where I used my hand grinder with the large holes instead of cutting them all up by hand. The taste and smell with the curry and turmeric was really good but with 4.5C of sugar it was real sweet and I had to stir lots to keep it from burning. Again I haven't tried them yet excepting a couple of taste tests as it was boiling down. Now I know how much shelf room I'll need downstairs and I'll likely be culling some jars from 7-8 years back that are still down there.

Definitely looking forward to try all my new pickles specially, my kids and folks really appreciate getting them for Christmas so of course I have to try them first.

final 2021 pickles.JPG

10 hours ago, smitty55 said:

So I'm finally finished my pickling for the year, I'm up to 80 jars now. The last three batches were all done with green tomatoes with those recipes I posted earlier. Two were the pickles. Spiel, I used the salt like I said and it drew out almost 3 cups of liquid overnight, so I'm thinking that was a good thing to help keep them firm seeing as I did also use a hot pack and processed them for 10 minutes. Haven't tried them yet as I generally like to wait 3 months for pickles. I did have one mishap though, when I was putting the B&B batch in the water bath somehow the bottom fell out of one of the jars in one piece but fortunately all the contents stayed in the jar long enough for me to pull it back out and drop it in the garbage. Only the second time that has ever happened. Strange, it wasn't like there was a sudden temp change. The last batch I did was that green tomato relish where I used my hand grinder with the large holes instead of cutting them all up by hand. The taste and smell with the curry and turmeric was really good but with 4.5C of sugar it was real sweet and I had to stir lots to keep it from burning. Again I haven't tried them yet excepting a couple of taste tests as it was boiling down. Now I know how much shelf room I'll need downstairs and I'll likely be culling some jars from 7-8 years back that are still down there.

Definitely looking forward to try all my new pickles specially, my kids and folks really appreciate getting them for Christmas so of course I have to try them first.

Nicely done Smitty. It all looks scrumptious. I'd be real keen on the results of the Green Tomato Relish once you have tried it. It does sounds delish.

Had a couple of Bush Chickens given to me last week so I did a little shake and bake with them in the Air Fryer.
Served with some of my Pineapple Jalapeno Relish and a side Curried vegetables over rice.

I could have reduced air fryer time by a few minutes but overall, pretty damn tasty.  :)

20211024_175004_resized.jpg

20211024_182345_resized.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Any recommendations for an air frier? The above sure looks good Spiel. If the viddles tastes as good as they look that is a great start. I spent the last 4 days in hospital on I.V. My Type 2 Diabetes is challenging me. Another close call. I have slacked off being diligent about what I'm putting on our plates and in my shot glass, that's 3 blue and white lights on incidents in the past year, not good at all. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

We are in the market for a new gas stove. The Bosch stove we bought 10 years ago at Loews is pooched. The self clean feature is constantly flashing door lock and the oven will  not work, burners are fine. I see most NG stoves have air fry feature. I nearly had a heart attach when I see the price of Bosch ovens!!! We paid 1000's less for ovens starting at 3 grand now. 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:46 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Any recommendations for an air frier? The above sure looks good Spiel. If the viddles tastes as good as they look that is a great start. I spent the last 4 days in hospital on I.V. My Type 2 Diabetes is challenging me. Another close call. I have slacked off being diligent about what I'm putting on our plates and in my shot glass, that's 3 blue and white lights on incidents in the past year, not good at all. 

I'm no expert on Air Fryers John but I am enjoying the only one I have ever had, it's a T-Fal.

And ya, look after yourself silly, you know better.  ;)

On 10/20/2021 at 10:35 PM, smitty55 said:

final 2021 pickles.JPG

Enough pickles to last us 20 years. 4 jars per year X 20 years, if we like them. 

On 10/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, Spiel said:

Had a couple of Bush Chickens given to me last week so I did a little shake and bake with them in the Air Fryer.
Served with some of my Pineapple Jalapeno Relish and a side Curried vegetables over rice.

I could have reduced air fryer time by a few minutes but overall, pretty damn tasty.  :)

20211024_175004_resized.jpg

20211024_182345_resized.jpg

That hunter knew what he/she was doing!!!  Beautiful grouse breasts, no bullet marks and the cleaning job was spectacular.  Never in my life had two full grouse for a supper!!!  I'm envious!

Doug

• Like 2

11 hours ago, akaShag said:

That hunter knew what he/she was doing!!!  Beautiful grouse breasts, no bullet marks and the cleaning job was spectacular.  Never in my life had two full grouse for a supper!!!  I'm envious!

Doug

I only found one pellet Doug and it was in the cartilage between the breast meat.
I can't wait until he brings me more, he said he has them for me.  ;)

So I had mentioned earlier about this cracker spread I had found that used red pepper jelly. Well I'm very happy to report that it turned out great, even better the shelf life in the fridge is excellent. You take as much of the mix as needed and then add around 1/4 of the amount of jelly to stick it all together. Simple to make and easy to modify.

- I cup shredded sharp white cheddar. I used half extra old and half 2 year old and used the manual food processor instead of shredding it. No doubt 4 year old would have even more flavour.

- I cup fine chopped nuts. I used cashews because that's what I had, but pecans or walnuts would work fine

- 3 green onions, fine chop

Mix together in a sealable dish. Remove as much as needed and then mix in enough jelly to stick it all together just before serving. I also had it with a thin slice of Alpen Salami on the cracker first and it was excellent. The texture of the spread is just right too. I can also see fresh chopped garlic working real well with this too. Next batch I will add some for sure, I just got a pound of Russian Red that I traded for some Music.

Cheers

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 11:46 PM, Old Ironmaker said:

Just a little heads up JD.
If you're still looking at Air Fryers CTC has the T-Fal Digital Air Fryer on for 55% off.

Marked down to $99.99 from $229.99.