cooking thread...

Took a gamble on a flank steak. Brisket price and size , is too much for this guy . Costco had some nice chunk pieces this morning. I thought what the hell, lets make a smoked one for dinner. What else was I going to do, while tying more fly orders ? I just rubbed with sea salt and fresh ground pepper and  took from someone here about the mustard rub . Thanks, great added flavor . Smoked with 2 pans of apple and cooked at 180 in the old style little chief smoker for 5 hours. They say this meat cut is tough, well, I can tell you, this was not tough at all. I thinly sliced, both against and with the grain , and made a nice cheese and tomato sandwich on a toasted bun. I did not want any sauce,as I wanted to taste the smokiness goodness. Side order of fresh cut fries and rings and well, it was awesome. Have enough left for more sandwiches . Those ones might get a mop of sauce, just to make it messy . Even a topping of slaw for good measure.:P

20210702_152853.jpg.623a766067b0e347e380e1db24dfbf8b.jpg

20210702_153306.jpg.44f765d7d80fa0bc15dc45911a65b64f.jpg

20210702_154538.jpg.9f21500ec205670ca15397a5204dc4e9.jpg

• Like 3

Other than the tomato, that looks AWESOME, Brian!

Do you make your own onion rings?  If yes, how?  I have never tried that.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!  Food Basics had a 1 kg bag of frozen cooked spot-tail prawns on for $12.99.  I have never seen these here before, only ever brought them back from BC after fishing trips.  I "hope" they are as good as they look.

Doug

11 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Other than the tomato, that looks AWESOME, Brian!

Do you make your own onion rings?  If yes, how?  I have never tried that.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!  Food Basics had a 1 kg bag of frozen cooked spot-tail prawns on for $12.99.  I have never seen these here before, only ever brought them back from BC after fishing trips.  I "hope" they are as good as they look.

Doug

Thanks Doug

I just use Brodie XXX flour . All in one mix. Just add some of your fav brew for liquid . And I also just use the purple onions.

https://www.robinhood.ca/En/Products/Brodie-Self-Raising-Cake-Pastry-Flour

Next day update,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Had the rest, sliced thin and mopped with maple and layered by fresh mushrooms and cheese. On the bun again. That smokieness was just so good. Think I have a new fav . :rolleyes:

No tomato this time Doug. :P

And I did honey mustard pork tenderloins on rice vermicelli noodles last night but as usual did not take a photo.  It was pretty toothsome...

Tonight it is a wild turkey breast in the slow cooker, done with a rib rub.  It smells pretty good right now, hope it tastes as good!

Doug

• Like 1

Well, at my age I should WRITE STUFF DOWN so I remember it.  I thawed one wild turkey breast and my intention was to brush it with EVO, then rub a rib rub into it, and into the slow cooker on some cut-up Vidalias.  I patted down the breast, completely forgot about the EVO, and rubbed the rib rub into it.  CRAP!  Well, what I should have done is rinse off the rub and start again, but being the cheapskate I am, I just went ahead and used the breast without the EVO.  I did put a couple tbsp of EVO in with the onion on the bottom of the slow cooker pot.  Six hours on low, and the breast was done.

OK, how do I move the pictures to here in the middle of what I am typing???????????????????????????????????????  I wanted to show you folks the pics and then write some more. 

ANYWAYS, the flavour is very good, but the meat was a touch on the dry side.  😐

After supper, I made a gravy with the onion, pan drippings, and some veggie water and corn starch, and cut up some of the leftover breast into it.  Even if I do say so myself, that's AWESOME.  Live and learn.

Doug

slow cooker wild turkey breast (1).jpg

slow cooker wild turkey breast (2).jpg

• Like 3

I recall some  guys pressure canning steelhead on Coleman stoves on their pickup tailgates in the camp at Denny's Dam back in the eighties. Cronzy among them.   Steak ?? getting priced out of my snack bracket, last steaks were lean ground beef patties doctored up with some seasonings, minced onion , egg, BBQ sauce and bread crumbs on the grill

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1

So I noticed the other day that we're down to our last bag of Schnitzel in the freezer after I take one out for our dinner. I also notice that we're down to our last bag of smoked bread crumbs as well so I make a mental note to grab a bunch of expired half price bread next time I see some as we use it fairly often. Then I see that IG has pork loins on at 1.99lb so perfect timing to make up another batch of schnitzel. So I'm walking by the 50% off bakery rack and see a pile of 450g Italian loafs so I grab 4 of them at 1.10 each. Then I grab 2 large loins, one for the freezer They get cut up in big chunks and then in the oven at 250° for 40 minutes till dry. I barely managed to get them all on the 5 racks of the big chief. 3 pans of pellets and two hours later they are all nicely golden coloured. Filled two plastic grocery bags with them and boy did the kitchen ever smell good. This morning wifey did them up in the food processor and we ended up with 9 bags totaling just under 3lbs. Kept the largest bag out for Schnitzel tomorrow and chicken thighs tonight. Might seem strange going on about bread crumbs but OMG do they ever dress up whatever you use them on, I've never had Schnitzel that comes close to these with that great smokey flavour. Highly recommend anyone with a smoker to try it, you certainly can't buy them anywhere. Cheers

I really enjoy deer heart, so when we shoot a deer in the camp, the heart is saved, unless the bullet or arrow went through the heart.  In that case, the meat is too damaged to eat.  We also enjoy deer liver, but that is another story.  (Hint:  slice it thin, season it like steak, and pan fry at high heat for a very short time).  So the traditional deer camp heart recipe is to stuff it and bake it in a very slow oven, often with a bacon wrap on the stuffed heart.  And you haven't lived until you have tried gravy made with bacon-wrapped deer heart...............LOW cholesterol.  😉

I really like stuffed baked deer heart, but it is also delicious sliced and pan-fried, which is a lot quicker and makes a great appetizer.  I even took a couple deer hearts one year and ground them up and cooked ground deer heart like hamburger - it was very good but not worth the effort.

So I was rooting around in one of my FOUR freezers that are running right now 🙄 and found the heart from the buck I shot last November, vacuum-packed and still plenty fresh, and I thought to myself, how about BBQ deer heart?  So I cut the heart in three, cleaned out the connective tissue and most of the fat, brushed it with EVO and seasoned it, and put it on the BBQ on indirect heat for about ten minutes.  Instant-read thermometer put it at about 120 F.  I was quite worried about over-cooking it, since it is extremely lean meat.  I took the meat off the grill and covered it with aluminum foil, then served it with fresh yellow beans from the garden and roast cauliflower.  It was fairly rare (see pic) and would have been better medium rare to (maybe) medium).

I would do this again.

Doug

BBQ deer heart (1).jpg

BBQ deer heart (4).jpg

BBQ deer heart (3).jpg

BBQ deer heart (2).jpg

So last week I picked up a couple of 6lb whole picnic shoulders at $1.99lb. One went in the freezer and yesterday I prepared the other one for the smoker. Took all the skin off, and Injected a mix of ginger ale and maple syrup into it. Then I smeared it with Dijon and regular mustard and then coated it with close to a cup of my home made spice rub. I also sprinkled some rub on the skin and took out 3 pork hocks out of the freezer that I had brined for 5 days a couple of months back. Many hours later at 3 in the morning in the big chief the roast had a nice dark bark on it and was up to 158°, the skin was all shriveled up and the hocks were finished. Today I took the roast out of the fridge wrapped it in two layers of heavy foil, added the half can of ginger ale left over and drizzled some more maple syrup over it. It went in the oven at 235° and will be removed when it hits over 200° for pulled pork dinner tonight. I forgot to take a pic of it out of the smoker but did get one before it went in. Looking forward to it.1119896515_smokedpicnic.JPG.e40aaff6bb411eebbe5298c22230ec5a.JPG

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akaShag said:

Sounds AWESOME Smitty!  I almost never see pork hocks any more, and they are a treat.........

Doug

I get some real nice ones come fall . Buy when on sale . With the new smoker,I can probly do enough for the whole winter this fall and some for the folks as well . Yup,I am all giddy.

That injection sounds interesting Smitty.  Let us know how it tasted .

• Like 1

So I have been running FOUR freezers, and this is getting up my nose.  Part of it is holding meat and fish for other folks while they make room in THEIR freezers, or get back from travelling, or whatever.  Today I defrosted the two that are not self-defrosting (think archaeology) and found some goodies, like one squirrel and one rabbit that did not get put into pot pies, a couple packages of last year's bacon candy, a whole ham, a mid-sized turkey...............and some bluegills and perch that I had put aside to make a chowder.  If I make a chowder, it will take MORE freezer space, but if I can otherwise preserve the fish, that is not an issue.

SO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>I have never pressure-canned fine-fleshed white fish fillets (But I have canned smoked WHITEFISH, and they are fabulous!)  It has to be said, a fish normally needs to have some fat in it to make good canned fish, and neither perch nor bluegills qualify on that count.  

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>>>  I have the bags of "chowder" fillets thawing, and tomorrow I am going to pressure-can them.  I am thinking some cut-up Vidalia onion, seasoning salt, dill seed, a bit of garlic, and lemon pepper for flavouring.  I will see how it turns out - please wish me luck!

Doug

So my best buddy is in town for a few days for a work gig.  He called me yesterday, told me he would be off work around 4 pm, and so I invited him over for supper.  I had a venison tenderloin in the freezer waiting for a special occasion..............so I thawed it.  Usually they don't survive hunt camp, but this one did!

Today he sends me a text, he will be working until 8 pm.  Too bad, so sad, t-loin is thawed.  Wife is away camping so there is just me to eat the tenderloin.  😁  Pan-fried, with eggs cooked in the pan juices on top, one of my absolute favourite meals!

Ven t-loins (1).jpg

Ven t-loins (3).jpg

Ven t-loins (2).jpg

Anyone here tried using a "Sous Vide"?

https://www.linenchest.com/en_ca/ricardo-sous-vide-precision-cooker-with-color-changing-led-ring?utm_source=shopping&utm_medium=cpc&scid=scplp266436&sc_intid=266436&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - Branded - English ON - Prospect Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIivWr94eE8gIVh9zICh0BUQ6gEAQYASABEgJENPD_BwE

I did my turkey breast recipe with mine (thanks air miles!) on the weekend. It took four hours in the pot and a quick 5 minutes on the bbq to crisp it up. They turned out great! Sorry, no pics.

I got it on my brother's advice after him showing me the video of the three rib prime rib he did for New Years. 30 hours in the pot, and quick browning on a super hot bbq., there were flames everywhere. He said you could cut it with a fork. He's also been buying eye of round roasts and putting them in the sous vide and again, quick browning on the BBQ. Turns a dry roast into fillet!

I'll try to document my adventures with this thing as I gain more experience using it.

HH

• Like 1