cooking thread...

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

and back to Spiel............

...........My last two attempts at fish cakes were highly unsatisfactory.  HIGHLY unsatisfactory.  😐

Are you able to share your recipe and EXACTLY how you made them?

Doug

Doug, a Newfie bud of mine always said that the secret to great fish cakes was using cold mashed potatoes as the binder. Looks like Spiel has taters in his mix as well.

2 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Doug, a Newfie bud of mine always said that the secret to great fish cakes was using cold mashed potatoes as the binder. Looks like Spiel has taters in his mix as well.

Yes, that was what I was using.............

19 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Like I mentioned before , all ingredients get mixed when the Tatars are warm.  Allows all the flavors to merry together. I make the patties once the mix has cooled, the refrigerate till time to cook. Thats how me nan made them, and she was from the rock. 😆 

Edited by misfish

34 minutes ago, misfish said:

Like I mentioned before , all ingredients get mixed when the Tatars are warm.  Allows all the flavors to merry together. I make the patties once the mix has cooled, the refrigerate till time to cook. Thats how me nan made them, and she was from the rock. 😆 

Thanks Brian.  My memory being what it is, I can't recall if I tried this with warm potatoes or not.  Once for sure it was cold mashed potatoes that I used, with canned steelhead, blah.

Anyways, if Spiel is willing to share HIS recipe, I will try this one last time.  There are some things that I have learned I can't make right..........

Doug

21 hours ago, akaShag said:

and back to Spiel............

...........My last two attempts at fish cakes were highly unsatisfactory.  HIGHLY unsatisfactory.  😐

Are you able to share your recipe and EXACTLY how you made them?

Doug

I don't really have a recipe Doug but a few have asked me for one, so I will put together the basic process and post it here for everyone who may want to try it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, akaShag said:

Thanks Brian.  My memory being what it is, I can't recall if I tried this with warm potatoes or not.

Got to get some of that newfie savory Doug to add to the mix. I have had 3 others add this to their mix and all have said, wow, what a nice flavor .

Apparently, the production has ended for this savory, so if you can get to a sobeys or food basics, you might luck out.

20210613_093643.jpg.1a9551186b306c1a444697d863c8a8cc.jpg

What Shag said, I'll do the boiling water canning for fruit and veggies but never for meats.  Had home canned salmon with mayo on rye today for lunch.  Made some home rye bread the other day,  there isn't a donut made by I don't care who that tastes better than that rye bread.  Best is it's sooo simple to make.  From start to finish about an hour and a half using the fast instant yeast.

2 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

What Shag said, I'll do the boiling water canning for fruit and veggies but never for meats.  Had home canned salmon with mayo on rye today for lunch.  Made some home rye bread the other day,  there isn't a donut made by I don't care who that tastes better than that rye bread.  Best is it's sooo simple to make.  From start to finish about an hour and a half using the fast instant yeast.

So how about a recipe for your rye bread, old buddy?

Doug

1 1/2 cups of rye flour (bulk barn)

2 cups of unbleached white flour

1/4 cup of sugar

1 pack of fast rising yeast

1 1/2 cups of milk, I use 2%

4 tablespoons butter

Mix first 4 ingredients dry in a big bowl or big stand mixer bowl

Pre heat your oven at lowest setting for about 2-3 minutes and turn off.

Mix last two ingredients in microwave safe bowl and heat to about 120F (about a 1 1/2 in 800Watt micro).

Mix all ingredients together either by hand power or mixer for about 2-3 minutes.

Take out the blob of dough and place on a lightly floured sheet of some sort, knead for about 4-5 minutes.  You must knead the dough otherwise it won't rise properly. As you go you may have to add a bit of sprinkled flour on the sheet to keep it from sticking. 

Place the shaped dough into a greased (PAM) glass loaf pan 8" x 5" (mines a 1.4L Pyrex). Place into the low temp preheated oven middle rack.  It will take about 30 minutes or so to rise above the sides of the loaf pan.  Take it out, then preheat the oven to 340F, when it's heated, return the loaf pan into the oven for 25-26 minutes.  Keep an eye on it the last 3-4 minutes, if the top is browning too much, cover with foil.  Take out and let it cool on a rack, use a paper bag to store it, not plastic bag otherwise it will get sweaty.  Get the appropriately needed weapons to hold off the taste testers. Enjoy. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, misfish said:

Got to get some of that newfie savory Doug to add to the mix. I have had 3 others add this to their mix and all have said, wow, what a nice flavor .

Apparently, the production has ended for this savory, so if you can get to a sobeys or food basics, you might luck out.

20210613_093643.jpg.1a9551186b306c1a444697d863c8a8cc.jpg

The Mason Jar in my one picture is.......Summer Savoury.  ;)

So I was perusing the latest Princess Auto booklet today and noticed they have a 3 pack of 8in x 22ft vacuum sealer bags for half price at 12.49. That's a good deal for sure if anyone is looking to stock up.

Edited by smitty55
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, smitty55 said:

So I was perusing the latest Princess Auto booklet today and noticed they have a 3 pack of 8in x 22ft vacuum sealer bags for half price at 12.49. That's a good deal for sure if anyone is looking to stock up.

Awesome thanks.

I finally got one of the cheaper brands,but it works great so far. Got it on a online auction for half the price of retail. Have done sausages and fish and even smoke fish for a buddy that thought it looked professional being vacuum packed.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:29 AM, akaShag said:

So I went to the Bulk Barn to get rye flour and unbleached white flour........

Curse you, Fisherman!  Another five pounds of belly I don't need...........🙄

Bulk Barn.jpg

I avoid that candy aisle at all costs, mixed roasted nuts are okay but not those bags of sugar, lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Awesome thanks.

I finally got one of the cheaper brands,but it works great so far. Got it on a online auction for half the price of retail. Have done sausages and fish and even smoke fish for a buddy that thought it looked professional being vacuum packed.

Be careful with those cheaper ones. Make sure to let it cool well in between sealing jobs so that the element will last longer and also keep the wire nice and clean.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, misfish said:

Im a sucker for those spearmint candies. :D

Them, and jelly beans, and red licorice nibs, and jelly tots, and wine gums, and broken nut roll, and strawberry marshmallows, and............🙄

2 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Them, and jelly beans, and red licorice nibs, and jelly tots, and wine gums, and broken nut roll, and strawberry marshmallows, and............🙄

Sure wish I could fine Black Cat gum. I also loved those black licorice cigars and pipes.

Thats going back a few years BTW,,,,,,LMAO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OK, MANY YEARS AGO.

Edited by misfish