cooking thread...

21 hours ago, mamona said:

I believe you. I wish you posted a pic with this beauty sliced. 
Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Butterflied a pork tenderloin. Rubbed it with a typical BBQ rub. Spread a thin layer of ground sausage on the tenderloin followed by a thin layer of Havarti cheese. Seasoned with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Rolled it up tight and then wrapped with bacon. Put it in the smoker using hickory at 270°. After about 50 mins I started basting it with a chipotle beer BBQ sauce every 15 mins or so until the internal temp got to 140°f. Took it out and let it rest for about 15 mins before slicing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, manitoubass2 said:

I'm still on a total pho kick. I never really use the same recipe, but what an amazing food!

Almost as versatile as a sandwich. 

Havent made one yet that isnt absolutely delicious 

It's a once a week here at the house! Best way I have found to empty out the fridge of it tender left over morsels!

HH

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

While admittedly not much of a photo, it still makes me smile knowing how much enjoyment I will get out of these over the next year. Those logs would represent 5 lbs of wild leek (ramps) compound butter. They will be each be frozen and then vacuum sealed,, Went out back of the house the other evening on the concession allowance and picked around 4lbs without leaves in maybe 40 minutes. They're fully mature and easy to pick right now, some leaves are already turning yellow. I had already bought 4 extra pounds of butter a few weeks back when they were on sale so I was prepared. The ratio I use is 1 1/2 lb of trimmed and cleaned bulbs with some stem still attached to 4 lb butter. This year I went with plenty of fresh picked and snipped chives added in, normally I like thyme added but it got missed in the one half batch I meant to add it to.
First year I made it I added lemon zest and fresh juice to one half batch following a recipe. That was a mistake, it was great for using with fish and seafood, but for just about any other use I don't want a lemon flavour, and I use it for many different things. It enhances every dish I use it with from sandwiches to garlic bread to an amazing roux for cheese sauce and cream soups, to slicing off a disk to top off a steak to fried eggs to taters anyway you want them. Roasting a whole bird, slide the butter under the skin around the breasts. Anyway you get the idea hehe. I'm a big fan ever since I started doing it. What I also love is that it's the closest thing I've ever found that retains the original fresh picked and eaten raw flavour that I value the most. I haven't even pickled any for a while now but I'm due to do up a small batch as I've still got one pick left do to do on some property up the road I've had permission on for the last 20 years. Pretty sweet deal I landed when I moved out here with leeks growing all around my wee 1 acre bit of lanark property.

Oh yea, the photo hehe. For sure I'm smiling, knowing I have a new fresh batch this year. Cheers

Ramp Butter - Copy.JPG

• Like 3

back to smitty55....

Do you put this through a food processor or something?  A buddy dropped off a bunch of wild leeks a few days ago and I got the bulbs cleaned up and just put them in water, then I was away for a couple days.  I was thinking I'd pickle them, but this has me thinking.........

Doug

6 hours ago, akaShag said:

back to smitty55....

Do you put this through a food processor or something?  A buddy dropped off a bunch of wild leeks a few days ago and I got the bulbs cleaned up and just put them in water, then I was away for a couple days.  I was thinking I'd pickle them, but this has me thinking.........

Doug

Yep Dougie, in the processor with the chopping blade. 12 oz of leeks chopped up fine and then 2 lb of soft cut up butter. Tried the mixing dough hook but the metal one worked far better to mix it up well. You could do it by hand but the machine fluffs it up nicely which makes it easier to spread even out of the fridge. The recipe actually calls for a 30 second blanch in boiling water then an ice bath but I can't really say if it makes any difference. I like pickles too but I get much more use out of the butter. Go for it.

Food Basics has pork back ribs on sale this week.  They're still not a CHEAP cut of meat, but once in a while I like a feed of ribs.

So I got to thinking, I wonder what they would be like if I did them with my bacon cure and then smoked them..............and then finish on the BBQ.  I think they would be pretty darned good, but maybe salty.  I always rinse the cure off the bacon and pat the pieces dry before I smoke them, I could also do that with the ribs.

Anybody here ever try something like this?  People said I could not make pork tenderloin into bacon, but it is awesome.  I think ribs would be good too!

Doug

Doug I use a thin mustard base on the ribs and then a spice rub. Let sit overnite and then into the smoker. After a few hours wrap in foil with some liquid like apple cider or beer or wine and then let them steam in the oven or back in the smoker at 225°. Then finish on the grill or broiler.

I don't see a need to use a cure on ribs.

back to smitty55............I have a couple GREAT rib recipes, that turn out delicious.  I am just thinking that a bacon cure would give them a completely different taste.  Pork tenderloins don't taste anything like tenderloin bacon, just like pork loin doesn't taste like back bacon.  This would be an experiment, and I am curious to see if anybody else has tried it.

Doug

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 11:14 PM, smitty55 said:

I wish I had bought the combo pack, 6 each of 8" x 50' and 11" x 50'...................I did not think I would use the 8" stuff at all, but it turns out that would have been a better choice than a full case of the 11" rolls, which was what I bought.

GREAT material!  And bomb-proof:  so far, I have been amazed at the durability of these bags.  So anyways I just ordered a case of the 8" rolls.  Now this should keep me for YEARS.............and for hugely less money than buying the rolls at Canadian Tire, or wherever.

Thanks again to smitty55 for showing the way!😉

Doug

21 minutes ago, akaShag said:

I wish I had bought the combo pack, 6 each of 8" x 50' and 11" x 50'...................I did not think I would use the 8" stuff at all, but it turns out that would have been a better choice than a full case of the 11" rolls, which was what I bought.

GREAT material!  And bomb-proof:  so far, I have been amazed at the durability of these bags.  So anyways I just ordered a case of the 8" rolls.  Now this should keep me for YEARS.............and for hugely less money than buying the rolls at Canadian Tire, or wherever.

Thanks again to smitty55 for showing the way!😉

Doug

Yea I find we probably use the smaller bags more often, like for the ramp butter and individual 1lb packs of burger or sausages or chicken pieces even. They certainly are great quality.

• 4 weeks later...
A while back my friend gifted me a bunch of Silver Sockeye he caught in Alaska right in the chuck. Bright Silver and the flesh as red/orange as you could ever imagine on the rod I had built him for the trip. However, the last package I had was far to much to consume in a single meal so I decided to try my hand at canning some last week. All went well and I ate one full jar with a fork right out of glass.....delish!
Then yesterday I watched a video about home canning meat and fish. It got me worried about gifting these "canned salmon" to friends as I only used the "water bath" method not having a pressure canning vessel. The worry, Botulism! Canning temperatures needed for meat/fish apparently can not reach the required temps to kill off any potential bacterium that can cause Botulism (I am relatively new at this home canning thing). I'm likely over thinking it but non the less I decided to use it all up and make Fish Cakes this afternoon.

I have to admit, my Fish Cake skills just keep getting better and I truly have no way of expressing just how awesome this batch turned out in words.

I'll just say...... Oh my goodness...........!

PS......I need to get me a propper canning pressure pot.

noelsalmon1.jpg

noelsalmon2.jpg

noelsalmon3.jpg

noelsalmon5.jpg

noelsalmon7.jpg

noelsalmon8.jpg

• Like 2

Tens of thousands of people use water bath canning and don't die.  BUT personally, yes I do use a pressure canner.  I most highly recommend the All American pressure canners with the metal to metal seal, no gaskets to fail.  I have been using mine for over forty years.

Doug

• Like 1