cooking thread...

An easy conversion for meteric is 500 milograms is approximatley 1 pound. 1 kilogram a bit over 2 pounds, 2.2 lbs exactly. So 500 mg to a pound is close enough unless you are a drug dealer I guess. Her Brunswick stew looked like stew I'm sure it didn't have possum, raccon or squirel in it. Rabbit yes because I gave her one for it. I loved it. I do remember after it was served in a bowl a shot of Jack Daniels went on top of it, mmmmm. There was a golf hole tin Myrtle Beach where everyone recieved a small bowl of stew and if you parred it a shot of brandy went in it.  You would never see anything so unique in Canada, ever. 

19 hours ago, Crimsongulf said:

I still can't convert y'alls Kg stuff.  When I grocery shop up there, I keep the conversion tables on my phone so I know what I am buying. 😎

Actually when the flyers come weekly from the grocers, they have the price per pound in large bold type and the metric in fine print. Most stuff is still packaged in pounds but they call it 454 grams now. The best is the frozen burgers from Costco, you can get 1/4 , 1/3 and 1/2 pound burgers  but the total weight of the package is metric. Really it is a hybrid system even after 30 years, kind of like the forums here, everyone seems to do the temperature and weather in metric , but still catch 4 pound, 20 inch Bass on a 7 foot rod using 10 pound test in 15 feet of water from a 14 foot tinner

• Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...
When worlds collide.

So, two good friends who have never met or spoken to each other brought together my dinner last night. The first friend provided a boneless skinless wild Turkey breast. The second (HeadHunter, thanks Buddy) gave me his homemade marinade recipe for domestic boneless skinless Turkey breasts. Queue the light bulb in my head.... 🙂

The marinade was made and as instructed by my friend combined with the wild T breast meat and allowed to marinade for 48 hours. Today was the day to BBQ it, between rain showers. 😉

The marinade HH allowed me to share here is as follows (and it is delicious*)........

Boneless turkey breast, stabbed to death with a serving fork.

Marinade:

¼ cup of the following;

-white wine

-orange juice

-apple juice

-oil… not olive!

-Soya

-teriyaki

-crushed garlic

-pepper… no need to add salt with the soya and teriyaki

Overnight will work well, two days is better in the fridge. I have also frozen it in the marinade, defrosted overnight in the fridge with great results.

Brown all sides on an extremely hot grill. Once browned, place on the cool side of the BBQ and brush with hoisin sauce every ten minutes until the turkey is done. Wrap and let sit for ten minutes before cutting into slices,, against the grain.

J  

The noodle side dish sauce is as follows..........

1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp rice vinegar
3 tbsp pure sesame oil
1/2 tsp hot chili oil
4 tbsp Peanut oil

* I double this sauce recipe and keep it in the fridge for convenience.

I'll let the pictures take over from here.

JGM1.jpg

JGM2.jpg

JGM3.jpg

JGM4.jpg

JGM5.jpg

jgm7.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Headhunter said:

Glad it worked out for yah Chris. It's definitely a keeper, especially when you consider that I freakin hate turkey! I do like this a lot though....

HH

Well hearing you tell me about your dislike for Turkey then telling me how awesome your marinade and BBQ process was I knew I had to try it.
It's a home run for sure, thank you for sharing it with me and allowing me to share it here for others.   ;)

• Like 1

Interesting to read this today.  Somebody else must have looked in the freezer and found last spring's wild turkey in advance of this year's opening day.  I found a pair of wild turkey legs, with thighs attached.  Usually, I use the legs to make a pho, but I thought, this is really flavourful meat, but tough as nails unless you go low and slow.  (For those of you who don't hunt wild turkey, a lot of folks just breast our their birds and discard the legs because they are full of tendons, and if you roast them, you need to cut them with a hacksaw....)

ANYWAYS, I cooked the legs off in a slow cooker, then made "pulled" wild turkey legs.  Fabulous!  Here's the recipe:

Doug’s Slow Cooker “Pulled” Wild Turkey Legs

Ingredients (all highly approximate):

2 wild turkey legs and thighs

2 cups beef broth

½ can Diet Ginger Ale

1 tbsp of cider vinegar

1 tbsp honey

Fennel

Rosemary

Cinnamon

Seasoned salt

6 cardamon seeds

1 medium Vidalia onion, chopped coarsely

Place the broth in a cold slow cooker and add all of the remaining ingredients except the legs, and mix well.  Lay the legs in the broth mixture, with as much of them as possible in the liquid.  Cook on high for 6 to 8 hours.

Remove the turkey pieces and allow to cool, then strip the meat away from the bones and tendons, and pull it into bite-sized pieces.  Put the meat back into a non-stick pan, add about 2 cups of the slow cooker broth, and a half-bottle of BBQ sauce, and mix thoroughly.  Serve on fresh buns, or French fries.  The meat is completely tender, moist and flavourful.

Serves about 6.

1 hour ago, akaShag said:

discard the legs because they are full of tendons, and if you roast them, you need to cut them with a hacksaw....)

Yup. Learned that quick. They are best smoked and used for soup IMO Doug .

Nice job there Chris . Will give that marinade a go Joe. Thanks guys.

5 hours ago, misfish said:

Well then, lets share that will ya

It is pretty easy. I am pretty sure you cooked a broth before. This recipe is not different, you need it.
The best part is you cannot go wrong. Another cool thing is that most of the time I am using my turkey leftovers.

The recipe: https://pinchofyum.com/easy-turkey-pho
There is Notes section at the bottom. It talks basics how to make a stock.

So the last time I smoked a whole brisket I didn't trim the fat and I found that I had a lot of grease when I took it out of the foil. This tome I decided to remove some of the fat and render it down. Now if you have ever had scrunchions you know how wonderful they are, well this is what I ended up with. Now I am going to make a big pot of baked beans but instead of pork I am going to use some of this. 😊

20210417_074555.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Cliff said:

So the last time I smoked a whole brisket I didn't trim the fat and I found that I had a lot of grease when I took it out of the foil. This tome I decided to remove some of the fat and render it down. Now if you have ever had scrunchions you know how wonderful they are, well this is what I ended up with. Now I am going to make a big pot of baked beans but instead of pork I am going to use some of this. 😊

20210417_074555.jpg

Brilliant!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mamona said:

They look fantastic. 15lbs you are saying... How long it took you to smoke them?

I smoked them about 5 hours using 3 pans of wood chips, this time i used hickory,  last time I used alder, I think I like the hickory better. 

• Like 1