cooking thread...

2 hours ago, misfish said:

The Jersey roll

OH Man!!!

Do you cater; if so I'll place an order in for a group of 5 and if you'll keep the proper social distances!  LOL

Really looks good.

May come back to this part of the thread, next trailer season and fire up the pizza oven. 

Dan.

• Thanks 1

Pizza dough is as follows

2 cups sifted flour ( all purpose )

3/4 cup water 120 deg

1 tlbs  yeast

1 tea spoon of salt

1 tea spoon of sugar

1 oz of olive oil

When the dough is done mixing, I coat with olive oil and let rise for 1 hour.

I will form the pie with my hands til I have the shape, then use a rolling pin to get the 1/4 thickness I need . Tray to make in a rectangle.

Side note : With the amount of salt in the meat, you can go without the salt in the dough .

Edited by misfish

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Can you freeze short pastas like Penne, Rigatonni for example, no sauce? 

I have frozen cooked pasta - fusili and rotini - but they did not freeze well, they were all dried out when I thawed them.  HTH

Doug

On 3/12/2021 at 8:21 AM, akaShag said:

I have frozen cooked pasta - fusili and rotini - but they did not freeze well, they were all dried out when I thawed them.  HTH

Doug

I pre cooked an entire pound of Penne as recommended by me Diabetic Doc. Won't taste as good though. Anyhoo that's a lot of pasta sitting in the fridge. Apperantly cooked pastas with a drizzle of veggie oil and stirred so not to stick then stored in the fridge has a lower glycemic response time than pasta from the pot to dish. Low glycemic response time is better for diabetics than high response times. There is a lot of science when it comes to cooking and diabetes. If a diabetic must eat pasta, me, long pasta is better than short pasta i.e. spagetti better than rigatonni. There is more cut surface area in a short pasta than a long pasta. The area of the cut portion leachates more bad carbs into the dish. I am just going to try and freeze some then I can answer my own question and get off me arse and do it. 

Can anyone tell me how to get spell check on for our site? Probably right in my face.

19 hours ago, akaShag said:

Well, after I saw that rolled pizza made by misfish, I decided to try it with puff pastry.  It was an interesting experiment.

But I don't think I'd try it again.....🙄

Puff Pastry Pizza.jpg

And why ?

That looks pretty good to me Doug .

41 minutes ago, akaShag said:

The texture wasn't right for the contents.  Think cream puff with chunks in it.  😮

Hey,yer the one that wanted to do fluffy puffy.

Try the way it is to be made. PIZZA DOUGH.

LOL

Edited by misfish

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Hey,yer the one that wanted to do fluffy puffy.

Try the way it is to be made. PIZZA DOUGH.

LOL

Yep.  But I had puff pastry in the freezer ready to go!  Should have used it to make bear sausage rolls..........

On 2/16/2021 at 3:17 PM, Crimsongulf said:

Since it is currently 37*F here on the Gulf Coast, it is some time for Brunswick stew.

72781750_2496218520492782_5588675178574905344_n.jpg

We have a freind from North Carolina. The Brunswick stew she made had squirel in it, racoon too so she said. Good more for me. What makes your Brunswick stew Brunswick stew? It is 40F here this AM on the north shore of Lake Erie. going to be 8C later, that's somewhere around 73F, that's what I tell my displased person in laws that moved to Rat's Mouth Fla. 29 years ago. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

1 hour ago, Old Ironmaker said:

8C later, that's somewhere around 73F,

OIM, you might want to check your math..............8 C is about 46 F.  73 F would be about 23 C.

But yes, spring is here, and it's ruining the ice fishing!

Doug

15 hours ago, akaShag said:

OIM, you might want to check your math..............8 C is about 46 F.  73 F would be about 23 C.

But yes, spring is here, and it's ruining the ice fishing!

Doug

I do that to confuse some of our freinds down south. My DP in laws that settled in Fla. from Hammertown 29 years ago will ask in February "What's the temperature out brother?" I'll reply "Oh, around 73C, you will need to look it up. Sis" 

On 3/14/2021 at 7:16 AM, Old Ironmaker said:

We have a freind from North Carolina. The Brunswick stew she made had squirel in it, racoon too so she said. Good more for me. What makes your Brunswick stew Brunswick stew? It is 40F here this AM on the north shore of Lake Erie. going to be 8C later, that's somewhere around 73F, that's what I tell my displased person in laws that moved to Rat's Mouth Fla. 29 years ago. 

Brunswick stew is like BBQ in the south, it depends on what region you are in.  I make mine usually with one pound of beef, one pound of pork and one pound of chicken,  I will use venison if any is available.  My personal touch is that I do all of the meat on the smoker first.

I still can't convert y'alls Kg stuff.  When I grocery shop up there, I keep the conversion tables on my phone so I know what I am buying. 😎

As far as weather looks like we will be dodging naders (tornados) tomorrow.

Edited by Crimsongulf
grammar