cooking thread...

Sometimes it's the simplest things that are the most enjoyable. Last week I picked up three loaves of half price fresh bread from the reduced rack. Yesterday they got cut up into big chunks and into the Big Chief for 4 hours and 4 half full pans of pellets. Then they go into the food processor and we get a good pile of smoked bread crumbs that we use a lot for many dishes, there is no comparison to store bought. We separate into bags and freeze them, they keep very well. Here's what they look like coming out of the smoker, the kitchen smells great. :)

Smoked Bread.JPG

• Like 3

20 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Sometimes it's the simplest things that are the most enjoyable. Last week I picked up three loaves of half price fresh bread from the reduced rack. Yesterday they got cut up into big chunks and into the Big Chief for 4 hours and 4 half full pans of pellets. Then they go into the food processor and we get a good pile of smoked bread crumbs that we use a lot for many dishes, there is no comparison to store bought. We separate into bags and freeze them, they keep very well. Here's what they look like coming out of the smoker, the kitchen smells great. :)

Smoked Bread.JPG

Excellent idea, i often use leftover  bread to make stuffing then vac seal and freeze it. I will have to try smoking it first. Thanks for the idea.

11 hours ago, Big Cliff said:

Excellent idea, i often use leftover  bread to make stuffing then vac seal and freeze it. I will have to try smoking it first. Thanks for the idea.

It's so good as bread crumbs Cliff. Those were 3 1lb loaves and we got 12 cups, cost me $2.25 lol. In the last two weeks we had used them on a baked mac n cheese, chicken legs, and in a meat loaf, it dresses up any dish. I have a couple of spice rubs that I made up to use for meat in my smoker but they have now been getting regular use in the kitchen. They work great mixed in with the bread crumbs too. Both those blends contain a good amount of my own smoked paprika, when I start running low I'll buy it bulk and put 2 or 3 pie pans full in the smoker while I've got a batch of whatever going. It gets plenty of use in the kitchen too, it was so good on the potato salad last week. One other thing I've done is smoked coarse salt, again in a pie plate, it takes on a nice gold colour and is so nice and unexpected coming out of a grinder, think tomatoes ,cukes, corn on the cob, mashed taters, the list is endless and it enhances them all I find. Next thing I'm going to try is a good amount of red peppercorns I have in excess, they keep clogging up my grinders even with 80% good black as they're quite soft. All I use is coarse fresh ground pink salt anymore except for pickling and brining so I'll try that in the smoker too, maybe even some black peppercorns just because, hehe.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Every once in a while "New" and "improved" cooking appliances come to market. Remember the "George Foreman" everyone had to have one. Most have been sold for 5 bucks at yard sales. Then there was the roticary that could cook a large chicken in less than 40 minutes with the plastic cover that melted over time, yard sale again. Now there is some kind of counter top grill that goes from room temp to 500F in seconds, cooks a pizza in 6 minutes, a full size roast beef, whatever full size is, in less than an hour, a chicken in 20 minutes. Has anyone bought one? There are a few out there. The names elude me. I will have to write the name down when the commercial is on again. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

11 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Every once in a while "New" and "improved" cooking appliances come to market. Remember the "George Foreman" everyone had to have one. Most have been sold for 5 bucks at yard sales. Then there was the roticary that could cook a large chicken in less than 40 minutes with the plastic cover that melted over time, yard sale again. Now there is some kind of counter top grill that goes from room temp to 500F in seconds, cooks a pizza in 6 minutes, a full size roast beef, whatever full size is, in less than an hour, a chicken in 20 minutes. Has anyone bought one? There are a few out there. The names elude me. I will have to write the name down when the commercial is on again. 

You might be thinking of those Instant Pot electric pressure cookers ? I've got a couple, they do a cheap cut of roast beef to pot roast fall apart tender in a hour, same with pulled pork and baked beans from dry beans ( no presoaking ) in about the same. Though it may be a sin to the smoker guys here, they will do aa couple of racks of ribs in 22 minutes with a finish under the gas broiler with BBQ sauce for a quick rib fix.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, dave524 said:

You might be thinking of those Instant Pot electric pressure cookers ? I've got a couple, they do a cheap cut of roast beef to pot roast fall apart tender in a hour, same with pulled pork and baked beans from dry beans ( no presoaking ) in about the same. Though it may be a sin to the smoker guys here, they will do aa couple of racks of ribs in 22 minutes with a finish under the gas broiler with BBQ sauce for a quick rib fix.

I do the same for the ribs, saves a lot of time and gets rid of a lot of the fat.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fisherman said:

Quick run by Sobeys this morning, picked up pork tenderloins for less than half price.  Can't beat that.

Pork t-loin makes the most excellent bacon, I call it bacon candy.  "THEY" said you can't make bacon out of tenderloin, well you most certainly can!  And it's delicious!

Doug

• Like 2

Well, back somewhere in the last 153 pages...............😉

I use this commercial product:  https://www.stuffers.com/products/stuffers-bacon-dry-rub-cure-1kg

Cut the t-loins into pieces about four inches long, and put the pieces Into a covered tupperware container.  Sprinkle with the cure at about the amount suggested per kilo of meat. (Maybe a hair less)  Turn the pieces with a fork so you get cure on all sides, cover,  and into the fridge.  Every 12 hours or so, rotate the pieces about a quarter-turn along the long axis.  Leave in the cure for at least 48 hours, 72 is about right.

Rinse the t-loin pieces with cold water and pat dry.  Sprinkle liberally with brown sugar, on all sides, pressing the brown sugar into the meat.  Let it sit out about an hour to set up, then into the smoker for two pans of maple chips.  Last time I was out of maple and used cherry, still turned out excellent.  Slice it about 1/4 inch thick and pan-fry.  Because it is VERY lean, I put a little bit of bacon fat or margarine in the pan when I cook it.

It also freezes very well.

Bacon candy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mamona said:

Wait a sec, you are making ribs in a pressure cooker? Recipe please. Any other sins? B)

Yup, I just stand them up around the inside of the p cooker, add about 3-4 cups of water and cook them for about 20-25 minutes depending on the amount.  Take them out and let them lay flat and pat dry.  Out to the BBQ and add whatever spices, rub and BBQ sauce makes you drool,  Only needs about 10-12 minutes on a med hot grill to crisp them up a bit, meat side skyward.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

Yup, I just stand them up around the inside of the p cooker, add about 3-4 cups of water and cook them for about 20-25 minutes depending on the amount.  Take them out and let them lay flat and pat dry.  Out to the BBQ and add whatever spices, rub and BBQ sauce makes you drool,  Only needs about 10-12 minutes on a med hot grill to crisp them up a bit, meat side skyward.

I do a dry rub of garlic and onion powder, brown sugar, salt , pepper and paprika for a few hours in the fridge , then stand them up in the instant pot and do on high pressure for 22 minutes with a cup of apple juice, any more and you will have a hard time getting them out in one piece. Lay them flat on the broiler pan covered in foil for easy cleanup, baste with BBQ sauce and under the gas broiler of the kitchen stove .

Edited by dave524
  • Like 1