cooking thread...

I used to work for a talented German chef. He’d make smoked pork hocks with sauerkraut and apples. Fantastic. Serve them mashed potatoes or spaetzle. I haven’t made them in years but I’m thinking I should. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, akaShag said:

I would buy a boodle of them at that price!

One of my favourite German dishes is schweinehaxen, although that might not be the right spelling.  They aren't smoked, but man are they tasty!

Doug

I'd be tempted to try it with smoked hocks. You're right, I probably should have grabbed a pile.

Edited by smitty55

8 hours ago, Weeds said:

I used to work for a talented German chef. He’d make smoked pork hocks with sauerkraut and apples. Fantastic. Serve them mashed potatoes or spaetzle. I haven’t made them in years but I’m thinking I should. 

Recipe please. :)

So wifey did another double batch of the asparagus soup yesterday. Two onions still left it 1/2 cup short so I grabbed a good handful of leeks to make up the difference. Well as good as this soup is the leeks added a wonderful subtle flavour to the mix, just what I was hoping for. So good. We kept 1 1/2 cups aside for fresh eating and filled 7 containers for the freezer. I have a feeling there will be more batches made up over the next while. Freezer to table with frozen base is like 15 minutes or less if microwave is used.1547057084_CreamofAparagus.JPG.ea527d32c726d6780698fd4a82f25328.JPG

• Like 3

well i don't know if it's been said in this thread before or not because i haven't read all the posts , but i had a new one sprung on me the other day down on the warf where i went to get a fish to bring home , a lady told how she liked to cook her fish and thought i should give it a try , here's what she said , try taken your fish and roll it in Parmesan and a bit of flour and pan fry it in butter , thats it thats all you do , so i did and Mr Man was that some good , i have to have my pan fried fish no other way from now on , its a simple as that , Happy eating fella's ..... 

DSC05599.JPG

DSC05602.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Skipper D said:

well i don't know if it's been said in this thread before or not because i haven't read all the posts , but i had a new one sprung on me the other day down on the warf where i went to get a fish to bring home , a lady told how she liked to cook her fish and thought i should give it a try , here's what she said , try taken your fish and roll it in Parmesan and a bit of flour and pan fry it in butter , thats it thats all you do , so i did and Mr Man was that some good , i have to have my pan fried fish no other way from now on , its a simple as that , Happy eating fella's ..... 

DSC05599.JPG

DSC05602.JPG

Is that halibut?

Doug

On 4/29/2020 at 1:53 PM, akaShag said:

Brian you are getting to be one hell of a baker!!!

Last night's catastrophe was Newfie Fish Cakes.  I didn't have any salt cod so I poached a bunch of perch fillets in the oven, then made up the cakes.  They looked good, I floured them, and into a pan with a quarter inch of HOT vegetable oil.  Long story short, they really did not get golden brown, they fell apart, and once they were cooked were almost burnt, and tasted of OIL.  Hideous.  A sad waste of some perfectly delicious small perch fillets! 😢

Doug

I make fish cakes like my mom used to.

Flaked fish (usually tuna), mashed taters fairly stiff, bread crumbs.

Make the taters and add the fish then make into patties and roll them in the bread crumbs.

Put on a plate to cool in the fridge the make them more solid.

Next melt some butter in a fry pan on a medium heat and add the cakes.

Check colour after a few minutes and flip when they look good to you to cook the other side.

Serve with fries and some wostcher sauce (optional)

14 hours ago, Skipper D said:

Yes Doug its HALIBUT

DSC05586.JPG

DSC05590.JPG

DSC05587.JPG

Fabulous!  There's a hundred bucks worth of halibut on that table, if a fellow bought it up here.  Beauty job on the filleting!

We ate our last package of halibut a couple months ago from a trip I did to BC.  That one weighed 55 pounds and it was a dandy!

Doug

• Like 1

Well, m2b2, I actually had pan-fried WALLEYE for supper tonight!  😁

Youngest son called me this morning, a buddy of his had caught three nice walleye but did not have time to fillet them because he had to go to work.  Would I like them?  HELL YES!!!!!

Three lovely eater size walleye, I froze three fillets for later and cooked the other three fillets and the six cheeks for supper.  OMG!!!!!😋

Doug

3 hours ago, akaShag said:

Well, m2b2, I actually had pan-fried WALLEYE for supper tonight!  😁

Youngest son called me this morning, a buddy of his had caught three nice walleye but did not have time to fillet them because he had to go to work.  Would I like them?  HELL YES!!!!!

Three lovely eater size walleye, I froze three fillets for later and cooked the other three fillets and the six cheeks for supper.  OMG!!!!!😋

Doug

Glad you finally got a feed!!!!! 

I've been having fun exploring other ways to eat walleye. But.....I'm kinda in the mood for a good old fry walley, beans, corn, frybread and panfries now

On 6/6/2020 at 5:35 AM, Skipper D said:

DSC05599.JPG

DSC05602.JPG

weird...this is literally the exact way my mom has always cooked our walleye as well. Some kind of folklore recipe I guess.

manitou I also have been experimenting with different ways to make fish. Tacos are one of my favourite foods so I keep falling back to that one every time lol. Salt your batter however you do it. Don’t overlook a nice vinegar with mayo based slaw, chopped jalepeno, chipotle mayo, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, ketchenany said:

glad you watched because I can’t. Seen some pictures in some newspaper reports, that was more than enough for me. 
Anyone south of Rome does not eat tripe, I’m south of Rome! I swear my brother is from the north! Eats it at weddings only, we have no clue how to cook or even buy it!

In the winter every Friday used to be Tripa at the Regina Club. Regina as in Reggio Calabria, can't get much south of that before getting your feet wet. However my Nani from Reggio never made tripe. Dad who grew up in Abruzzi loved tripe. I detested it. I was invited to a lunch once to a serious guys home, he made tripe. With everything that goes with all that "respect" scenario I ate it. And guess what? I had seconds. Tastes change. When I was a kid I would not eat sausages and eny Salumi or prochiutto. Too much fat, I was an athlete. I missed out many years of great food. 

I have problems typing on OFC. That's why I'm not here much anymore. 15 minutes to type this and cant  edit. No issues on other sitescomes and goes.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:41 PM, ketchenany said:

glad you watched because I can’t. Seen some pictures in some newspaper reports, that was more than enough for me. 
Anyone south of Rome does not eat tripe, I’m south of Rome! I swear my brother is from the north! Eats it at weddings only, we have no clue how to cook or even buy it!

In the winter every Friday used to be Tripa at the Regina Club. Regina as in Reggio Calabria, can't get much south of that before getting your feet wet. However my Nani from Reggio never made tripe. Dad who grew up in Abruzzi loved tripe. I detested it. I was invited to a lunch once to a serious guys home, he made tripe. With everything that goes with all that "respect" scenario I ate it. And guess what? I had seconds. Tastes change. When I was a kid I would not eat sausages and eny Salumi or prochiutto. Too much fat, I was an athlete. I missed out many years of great food. 

I have problems typing on OFC. That's why I'm not here much anymore. 15 minutes to type this and cant  edit. No issues on other sitescomes and goes.

Well with the weather today I wasn't about to do much outside, it was like walking into a sauna. I did move a bunch of bedding plants under the picnic tables to protect from the possible thunderstorms yet to come. Other than that it was out the back door to load the smoker and do the wood chip refill for about 5 hours. Did all the hocks that have been brining for over a week now, along with a large polish sausage and a garlic sausage that were just asking for more smoke flavour. Still had one empty rack so I put about 1/2 lb of paprika in a pie plate and placed on the top rack. Also did up another double batch of that asparagus soup, with leeks again. That was 8 more containers for the freezer and 2 cups left over for us tomorrow. Today's menu included a batch of that leek and fiddlehead cream soup that wifey did up yesterday. That soup is so good.2032360555_smokedhocks.JPG.9a83d3e36ceeae32963fbc22ab1dca85.JPG

• Like 1