cooking thread...

1 hour ago, manitoubass2 said:

🤣😂🤣😂🤣

You must own some rods at this point? Lol

LOTS of rods and reels.  Access to keeper walleye, not so much.  I don't care for Bay of Quinte walleye, and the slot limit on the back lakes seriously restricts what a person can keep.......most fish caught are over the slot limit.  About a two pound walleye or bigger goes back into the drink.  Nice eaters aren't eaters around here.  Thankfully, we have good numbers of decent perch!  And crappies, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and bass....................I am never hurting for a feed of fish, but I sure have a hankering for a feed of walleye!

Doug

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 8:39 AM, akaShag said:

LOTS of rods and reels.  Access to keeper walleye, not so much.  I don't care for Bay of Quinte walleye, and the slot limit on the back lakes seriously restricts what a person can keep.......most fish caught are over the slot limit.  About a two pound walleye or bigger goes back into the drink.  Nice eaters aren't eaters around here.  Thankfully, we have good numbers of decent perch!  And crappies, bluegills, pumpkinseeds, and bass....................I am never hurting for a feed of fish, but I sure have a hankering for a feed of walleye!

Doug

Ah I hear ya shag! I really only keep 14-17", even then I prefer on the smaller side

Hey Joe

I know you are not a cabbage guy,,,,,

BUT

I tried for the first time today,

FLAT Cabbage

I had no idea what to expect. Bye, this is some sweet,smooth, buttery cabbage. It is a notch up on Savoy IMO. I see it cured/brined, in vacuum bags. I am thinking it,s a sour krout of some sort.

Thought I would share that wit ya bye.

Cheers :)

🥗

B

IMG_1069.JPG.32af8dc5e9aba0a18e2ce98c104c4931.JPGWent out for my final pick of leeks today. This cold weather was a blessing, I could actually cover up well to keep the skitters at bay. Turns out I almost didn't even need any bug spray, this cold snap knocked then right down and I couldn't even hear the buzzing. Unlike the other days during the hot muggy weather when the skitters were crazy. I went out during that as the leaves were really starting to turn yellow fast. The bugs were so thick I decided to put on my mesh bug jacket, man those things trap in your heat so much it was literally like being in a sauna wrapped in plastic. I managed to last an hour and got 7-8 pounds. Next day my daughter came over for a pick. She was all sprayed down but only lasted maybe fifteen minutes before the skitters drove her out of the bush. Today I went to a different spot and about 30% of the plants were still green. In maybe 1 1/2 hour I got just under 8 lbs. I never use a shovel and always do my best to only pick the bulb and leave the rhizome and roots in the ground. Going to make up 5lbs of ramp butter and going to pickle up a few jars with a new recipe to try. I got a good 10 lbs of fiddleheads this season too so I'm happy with my spring foraging this year.

• Like 3

attaboy Smitty!

The bugs have been crazy here as well...........and when we were doing some fence repairs a week ago I found a stand of fiddlehead ferns on my property I had not seen before.  It was too late for this year, but I know where they are now!  I probably have wild leeks here somewhere but have not found them yet.

Doug

4 hours ago, akaShag said:

attaboy Smitty!

The bugs have been crazy here as well...........and when we were doing some fence repairs a week ago I found a stand of fiddlehead ferns on my property I had not seen before.  It was too late for this year, but I know where they are now!  I probably have wild leeks here somewhere but have not found them yet.

Doug

Doug the leeks are basically the first thing to green up in the bush. Head out for a tour in early May and you should be able to spot them if they are there. These ones have been up for a while in this pic.IMG_0984.JPG.d1ad5f61afac5169461fe1cea3dab4d4.JPG

When I first moved out here from the city 20+ years ago I learned about a local farmer who sold fresh asparagus each spring, it was young ,fresh and so good. On top of that they made a cream of asparagus soup concentrate that they put in styrofoam cups and froze. You mixed it 1:1 with milk and it was real good. it was the honour system, you would just go to the fridge in their garage and leave the money. It worked great for years until some low life decided to steal the money and that was the end of it. Well I managed to talk Bernie into sharing his recipe with me. So over the years it's kind of been forgotten about. Then I saw asparagus on sale this week and set the wife to task to find the recipe. Well she did find it so I went and bought two bunches which worked out just right for a double batch of the concentrate. She made it yesterday, it's not complicated at all. We used an immersion blender in the pot at first once it had cooled down some and then added the roux, mixed in in well and then finished it all in the blender. Well let me tell you I had forgotten just how good this soup was, I had it last night and for lunch today. We put 8 containers of it in the freezer too. Well needless to say I'm going out to buy more asparagus today and we're going to do another double batch at least. This one is going to get some leeks tossed in for good measure as well.  

Well I did a search for Bernie's on my pc today and actually found it in a word doc so I figured I'd share it with you folks. Here's a c/p. Definitely recommend.

Bernie’s Cream of Asparagus Soup

1-1/4 lbs. of fresh asparagus

2 tsp. (generous) chicken soup base  (we used two chicken bouillon cubes)

1 cup chopped onions

2 cups water

For the roux: mix flour and butter and lightly cook to improve flavour.

1/4 - 1/3 cup butter (more is better)

1/3-cup flour

Milk or Cream

Salt & pepper

Cut tips from asparagus, chop, and set aside.

Cut spears into about 1” pieces.

Place asparagus pieces, onions, water, and chicken soup base

into a pot – boil until tender, about 12 minutes. In the meantime

make Roux of butter and flour. Place cooked asparagus mix into

a blender and puree, add Roux, blend again until smooth. Divide

into containers, add chopped asparagus tips on top, and freeze.

To serve use equal parts of Asparagus Soup Base and milk, or cream,

heat and serve adding salt and pepper to taste.

Hints:

We found that plastic blender containers are more likely to break

than glass with the intensive heat.

I used 10 ounce Styrofoam cups with plastic caps for storage and

a convenient serving for two.

The above recipe makes about 5 Styrofoam cups of frozen base,

enough for 10 servings.

So I noticed last weekend that IG had pork hocks on sales for $1.69 lb. I've always seen those smoked pork hocks but at 8 to $10 each I never tried them. Well I bought 7 of them and presently have them brining in 2 gallon ziplocks in the downstairs fridge until the weekend. Researching recipes sure does seem to give a lot of leeway. One says to brine for 7-10 days, another for like 3-5 days. One also mentions soaking them once or twice in clean water after brining to remove the excess salt, drying them well and then further drying them for an hour in the smoker before adding wood chips to improve smoke adhesion. One recipe had them hanging off the racks instead of sitting on theme. Then of course there's a myriad of recipes to use them in after they reach 150, often involving a minimum  hour boil to finish the cooking and get maximum flavour extraction from the bones and fat. Now my old baked beans recipe actually call for smoked pork hocks so that will happen, but at this time I'm not sure exactly what I will do with the rest, although I'm really leaning toward trying this slow cooker soup. https://thesaltypot.com/incredible-slow-cooker-smoked-pork-hock-soup-peas/

This looks good too. https://www.gastrosenses.com/blog/smoked-ham-hock-with-roasted-potatoes/

So any comments and recommendations are more than welcome as this will be a first for me. I'm thinking I should have bought more at this price as apparently they freeze quite well.

Cheers

Yup

Have done a few turns of these as they are one of my favorite meats for winter soups.

Brine from 3-15 days. Washing off in cold water and pat dry. Smoke in apple or hickory,sugar maple or what ever choice you like. Heck,mix it up. I have had great results with all the above. And yes,as for price,you make it cheaper as long as the hydro bill still stays low.LOL

Good luck Smitty

DSCF5112.thumb.JPG.eac17b42711621ea9d699b5b95fd3b7e.JPG

DSCF5115.JPG.115a09aa97d61fb45d50e0dcf80f165d.JPG

DSCF5117.JPG.36c122f678bc95c184e12c62c310573a.JPG

DSCF5118.JPG.c08c314acdfd4a973a8807a341202709.JPG