cooking thread...

6 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

Back to Doug. Make a list of stuff you won't eat, it is shorter than the list you will eat. 

Guilty.

But stuff I don't eat:  many vegetables (Vegetables are what FOOD eats); any kind of fake food like tofu burgers.  You want a burger, eat a burger, not some kind of modified chemically-enhanced piece of laboratory plant-based experiment.  And most stuff I see in those photos of Asian food markets.  Like this stuff:

2 hours ago, akaShag said:

Guilty.

But stuff I don't eat:  many vegetables (Vegetables are what FOOD eats); any kind of fake food like tofu burgers.  You want a burger, eat a burger, not some kind of modified chemically-enhanced piece of laboratory plant-based experiment.  And most stuff I see in those photos of Asian food markets.  Like this stuff:

I don't want to watch that video but I bet I will force myself to watch it. Maybe when my stomach is empty. I will eat almost anything but reptiles. Reptiles are not on the menu around here. I ate snake once in Japan because I didn't know what it was. No it didn't taste like chicken but did taste somewhat like fish. I can't stomach tripe or liver. Only once did I have tripe that was any good. I tasted it because I didn't want to disrespect the wise guy that cooked it and was surprised it was very good. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

On 5/4/2020 at 6:17 PM, misfish said:

They become family member's Albert, I get that.

When I can get down to the city limits, I will get a wabbit to try again .:D

We used to get rabbit from a Family friend that raised them on the farm, that's where we got the annual pig that gave us all the home made salumi (anything cured in a casing), sausages and prosciutto. If my father could I used to joke he would use the hair on the pig to make a hairbrush. Anyway those rabbits were fantastic. There was a lady out where we live that raised rabbit that were pretty darn good. There was fat on their hind quarters. She has stopped raising them due to her health and age. I have not found anyone that raises them since. My wife got me the 1st time I stewed a rabbit, she said she had a hair on her plate. 

I do rabbit the same every time. Cut into pieces using my poultry shears which I also use to prune shrubbery. Dredged in flour, browned then removed from the pot. Add garlic and onion cook for a while then deglaze all the tasty bits with a good red wine. Put the rabbit back in with celery, carrots and mushrooms. Fill the pot with wine until everything in it is covered in red wine. Bring to a boil then a rolling simmer until the meat almost falls off the bone, about 2 hours. Then add Yukon Gold potatoes when the taters are done the meat is falling off the bone. The secret to the recipe is in the spices which is no longer a secret. Salt, pepper, crushed chili peppers, a few dried bay leaves and a copious amount of smoked hot Hungarian paprika. A dozen fresh Portuguese buns or a loaf of Calabrese bread is a prerequisite.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:01 AM, Ron said:

Roasted Red Pepper soup. Add a mild Italian sausage plus a chewy homemade sour dough bread.

20200506_173402.jpg

Looks good Ron. Hot Italian sausages not mild. When you are cooking those hot Italian sausages toast some Fennel seed in the same pan you are cooking the sausages. Very Calabrese or southern Italy. The sour dough bread is OK, it should be a dense Calabrese loaf. Those are the round Italian loaves of bread, even better toasted and rubbed with a garlic clove a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVO) and a dash of oregano. That's the real deal garlic bread Iti style. Mom and Noni would split an entire loaf of bread and put it under the broiler then do the garlic rub, oil and a sprinkle of dry Oregano. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

16 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I don't want to watch that video but I bet I will force myself to watch it.

I for one, am in to these kinds of shows. Opens your mind . And Yes, I would sit down at that table too.

Thanks Doug

I just watched the video of the wet market. I might lose 10 lbs just by watching it. I don't get it, even the Indonesian guy interpreting hasn't eaten Rat. My brain is reeling. They won't eat Cat. The one lady doesn't eat Dog anymore since 2 of their pet mutts went missing. Call me small minded, I wouldn't even kiss an Indonesian woman on the lips after watching that. 

Edited by Old Ironmaker

glad you watched because I can’t. Seen some pictures in some newspaper reports, that was more than enough for me. 
Anyone south of Rome does not eat tripe, I’m south of Rome! I swear my brother is from the north! Eats it at weddings only, we have no clue how to cook or even buy it!

44 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

I went and checked out a korean market yesterday,  first off, they have tonnes of amazing foods

Secondly, I had no idea what half of the food was(very fish heavy though)

Holy crap is it expensive and busy in there

Whereabouts was that, Rick?

Doug

No peppers, brussel sprouts, or turnips.  None of that crazy batcrap.  The worst I saw was some woman in china flipping the lids off the sewers and scooping waste fat and oil out of the sewers to be reused, along with a healthy dose of floating turds and whatever else comes up.  I used to like the odd chinese meal of sweet and sour chicken balls and rice.  Unfortunately that isn't happening any more.

On 5/18/2020 at 5:39 PM, manitoubass2 said:

You gotta try Doug's canned moose meat. Its looks gross but boy is it tasty!

I'll pass, you can have mine M2B2. To tell you the truth I don't like Deer anymore. I did once but had some fresh last year and I didn't like it at all. Tastes change I guess. I'm even off the beef and bird lately. 

JD out.

22 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

I'll pass, you can have mine M2B2. To tell you the truth I don't like Deer anymore. I did once but had some fresh last year and I didn't like it at all. Tastes change I guess. I'm even off the beef and bird lately. 

JD out.

That's too bad! I spose it does however

I make a lot of real good soups over the course of a year but at this time of year there's one very special soup that is at the top of the list. It's called Wild Country Cream Soup, apparently the recipe came from an old Harrowsmith magazine however I couldn't find any reference to it on google at all or their archives. It's a quite rich cream soup with fiddleheads and leeks(ramps) as the stars along with mushrooms and green onion  supporting. The flavour is really amazing  as one would expect with a full cup of chopped wild garlic in it, along with a little zing from cayenne. Even better that I can go out beside the house and pick the leeks like I did this afternoon. The owner of the property where I do my main picking requests a batch each year.1035181832_wildcountrysouop.JPG.926cdc158c739a242b920a28ac2b16e0.JPG
Pic doesn't really do it justice, when chilled the soup if quite solid, when hot it's still thick and creamy, even a small bowl goes a long way.

Cheers

• Like 3

How to get more than one meal out of a single boneless/skinless Chicken Breast.

Beat it flat then stuff it with Sun Dried Tomatoes, Jalapeno Peppers and Cream Cheese and roll it up in a Bacon weave.

Serve it with Lemon Butter Asparagus and Butter Garlic smashed Tater.

Delicious!

chickenwrap1.jpg

chickenwrap2.jpg

chickenwrap3.jpg

chickenwrap4.jpg

chickenwrap5.jpg

chickenwrap6.jpg

chickenwrap7.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Spiel said:

roll it up in a Bacon weave.

Taught you well. LOL

Sweet roll bud.

Took a break today. Just sandwiches and salad. Now you got me all excited to do my burger loaf wrap. Time to get creative . :good:

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 7:22 PM, Fisherman said:

No peppers, brussel sprouts, or turnips.  None of that crazy batcrap.  The worst I saw was some woman in china flipping the lids off the sewers and scooping waste fat and oil out of the sewers to be reused, along with a healthy dose of floating turds and whatever else comes up.  I used to like the odd chinese meal of sweet and sour chicken balls and rice.  Unfortunately that isn't happening any more.

Those "chicken balls" we get at Chinese restaurants has nothing to do with Chinese food. They are actually named "  balled chicken." It's Can Am Chinese food just like spaghetti and meatballs is Italian food. I've seen some strange things served in Chinese restaurants. Like the huge live Carp cooked in smoking oil at the table. The chef poured some red sauce on it and everyone dove in. The idea is to eat the Carp before it dies. Mmmmm good. Fresh as you will ever get. 

1 hour ago, misfish said:

Taught you well. LOL

Sweet roll bud.

Took a break today. Just sandwiches and salad. Now you got me all excited to do my burger loaf wrap. Time to get creative . :good:

Got some good Summer Sausage drying out buddy, you in.   :D

20200524_124850_resized.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1