cooking thread...

Some homemade treats for the kiddies today.

Beaver tails.

Sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar . Layered some Nutella on a few .

DSCF5624.JPG.a9cd7f43ecbe929b7fa8d993b63f5978.JPG

DSCF5625.thumb.JPG.883747646bfefd68f5131cf25227cae3.JPG

And now that I am getting the bread to a good constant loaf,I made a cheese bread. Grated old cheese, 11/2 cups, and added it to the dry mix , Smells so good .

DSCF5628.JPG.a178c00af8323fa41d0ba368626dbdef.JPG

DSCF5629.JPG.73a7662996b4d32489c62618feecf8e3.JPG

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, smitty55 said:

Now that bread sure does look good.

Thank you smitty

I have gone as far to buy a good temp probe. I will boil water so it is pure ( sorta speak ), pour the right amount and wait til the temp is exactly 105 deg . I have found that the yeast blows up best at this temp. It doubles in size with in 5 minutes easy.  Took some trial and error,but finally got what works for me.  I want to try brown sugar next instead of white . Raisin bread is next .

I just got the slow cooker out for some chili.  Base of cut up onion, one large orange pepper, large can of mixed beans (missing my small can of baked maple beans that I add to but I am out), package of ground beef and diced up part of a roast topped with tomato paste and seasoned diced tomatoes.  And of course seasoning.  

• Like 1

Brian you are getting to be one hell of a baker!!!

Last night's catastrophe was Newfie Fish Cakes.  I didn't have any salt cod so I poached a bunch of perch fillets in the oven, then made up the cakes.  They looked good, I floured them, and into a pan with a quarter inch of HOT vegetable oil.  Long story short, they really did not get golden brown, they fell apart, and once they were cooked were almost burnt, and tasted of OIL.  Hideous.  A sad waste of some perfectly delicious small perch fillets! 😢

Doug

28 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Brian you are getting to be one hell of a baker!!!

Thanks Doug. All new to me. When I can bake a pie,I might give myself a pat on the back .LOL

Sorry about the perch . Fried in butter or deep fried in fish crisp, is my only perch eats.

I cook perch in many ways, but yes my favourite is deep-fried in Fish Crisp coating.  I also serve them baked on top of pasta and rice, with various sauces.  That is my wife's favourite perch dish, done with a cheese sauce in the oven and on top of rice.

Doug

Some comfort food

This morning when I awoke,it was raining and damp ,a drury day today. I thought some nice warm comfort food was in order.

Baked some bread bowls and made some home made cream of mushroom and broccoli soup to pour into the bread bowl.

DSCF5632.JPG.8eceec06ab4f8d77cdce0b5fa8b3c147.JPG

DSCF5638.JPG.595cada00002d67dd4915270e471e712.JPG

• Like 1

LMAO

I have found so many rods,reels old tackle I bought and never use, but today was one of those,

OH YA BABY MOMENTS

I bought that as a Christmas gift about 8 years ago. Forgot all about it. Heck the mrs,s too, as she said nothing about it .  LMAO

Look out know, the baking goodies will be full steam ahead . I have already looked on line CTC.

The pasta machine is not cheap, but will be worth it as I can make dumpling and egg roll sheets as well .

DSCF5645.JPG.b15601dcd25ee8dce3c7a30388600b37.JPG

• Like 1

Sugar/cinnamon twists for the grand kiddies . These were fun to make . Need to work on consistent hand rolling of the dough.

9WGw8U4.jpg

Made some home made noodles again and home made Alfredo sauce . Real sauce is made from using 100%  Saputo parma cheese. Do not be like the cheap guys and use flour for thickening up the sauce. GROSS

5IPczd8.jpg

0yk7N97.jpg

XHvE1qZ.jpg

I got my work cut out for Tuesday. 1st attempt at pie crust for Scottish corn beef hash pie

• Like 1

Albert

Just had the Fettuccine Alfredo. Made just like I was taught by my late Italian friend / boss, that I worked for as a bus boy. Some traditions live on.  Only thing missing was the tomato cheese bread . Thank you Petro .:angel: 👨‍🍳

Well I am living up to OIM's prediction that covid causes expanding bellies and waistlines.  Thankfully, I am not doing nearly that amount of baking as is our friend Brian!!!

Tonight's supper is rabbit pot pie.  I made a half dozen of them late last fall and this is the second last one.  I WANTED to be serving fresh crappies tonight, but the crappies had other ideas yesterday, and today Mother Nature had other ideas.  But one night this week, I intend to have a feed of fresh crappies!!!

Doug

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, misfish said:

Albert

Just had the Fettuccine Alfredo. Made just like I was taught by my late Italian friend / boss, that I worked for as a bus boy. Some traditions live on.  Only thing missing was the tomato cheese bread . Thank you Petro .:angel: 👨‍🍳

One thing I never mastered is any pasta with a white cream sauce. I do have friend named Alfredo. He doesn’t like it either. 

11 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

One thing I never mastered is any pasta with a white cream sauce. I do have friend named Alfredo. He doesn’t like it either. 

I do make a mean tomato garlic with anchovy and garlic butter pasta. That is a dish for me only though. Minus the fish and well,everyone else likes it. Now I need to make more fresh pasta this Friday for that dinner.   I am good with that. LOL 👨‍🍳

37 minutes ago, akaShag said:

Tonight's supper is rabbit pot pie.

Have not had a wild rabbit in a long time Doug. I went as far as buying one of those market ones, but MY GOD, talk about trash. I cooked it the same as I would a wild one. Stewed for hours to get that nice flavor and tenderness. I will take grannys road kill possum, over that thing. LOL

Do you make your own pie crust ?

Edited by misfish

38 minutes ago, manitoubass2 said:

Sup shag!

Were making 3 types of walleye for supper tonight! Cannot wait

I have to say I envy you that!  I have not had a feed of walleye in a while.  Lots of perch, which I like almost as much.  But my favourite is still crappies.  😋