cooking thread...

8 minutes ago, Fisherman said:

That's a summer camping favourite for me,  bully beef,  onion, fried potatoes in a cast iron pan with a dash of oregano.  I just fry it like a hash.  Damn, I need to go camp.

no eggs?

4 hours ago, misfish said:

Hereford is my choice . There are many different brands out there if you shop around in different stores . The international section here has like 6 different brands from diffeent parts of the world . I will stick with what I know and like . You can slice this stuff cold,put on fresh bread and smoother in katsup.  Oh so good. :D

Gotta slice it chilled and you have to mix hot horseradish in with the katsup. 👍

• Like 1

Well my daughter gave a a turkey carcass from the weekend as she can't be bothered to make stock and soup. She has it figured out now, get Dad to do it all and then get soup for nothing. But that's OK, I ended up with 4 qts of soup.

So that was a perfect excuse to break in my new dutch oven to bake some artisan bread. Talk about easy. No proofing of yeast, just a 2 minute mix of the ingredients including using hot water. Only a 3-5 hour rise to double in size, a quick fold over and shaping by hand and on a sheet of parchment paper and place in bowl while oven and pot is warming to 450°. Remove dutch oven, place paper and dough in pot with lid on and in oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake further for 10-15 min to crisp up crust.  Turned out fantastic, nice crispy crust and nice and soft inside with a texture similar to Sourdough. All for less than 5 minutes of time. . I can see it now being a regular occurrence in out kitchen.

First Loaf.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Fisherman said:

That's a summer camping favourite for me,  bully beef,  onion, fried potatoes in a cast iron pan with a dash of oregano.  I just fry it like a hash.  Damn, I need to go camp.

I had a feeling you would know what it was .

21 hours ago, smitty55 said:

Well my daughter gave a a turkey carcass from the weekend as she can't be bothered to make stock and soup. She has it figured out now, get Dad to do it all and then get soup for nothing. But that's OK, I ended up with 4 qts of soup.

So that was a perfect excuse to break in my new dutch oven to bake some artisan bread. Talk about easy. No proofing of yeast, just a 2 minute mix of the ingredients including using hot water. Only a 3-5 hour rise to double in size, a quick fold over and shaping by hand and on a sheet of parchment paper and place in bowl while oven and pot is warming to 450°. Remove dutch oven, place paper and dough in pot with lid on and in oven for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake further for 10-15 min to crisp up crust.  Turned out fantastic, nice crispy crust and nice and soft inside with a texture similar to Sourdough. All for less than 5 minutes of time. . I can see it now being a regular occurrence in out kitchen.

First Loaf.JPG

We had the same thing tonight! Wife went a bit better and even did a whole wheat loaf.

it’s starting to be the norm now.

• Like 1

CHICKEN FRIED RICE.

Sure, sounds simple, but this is my favorite concoction. 

4 chicken thighs, bone in skin on. 

6 slices cooked bacon diced.

4 large eggs whisked.

Peanut oil

2 or 3 carrots diced.

1 celery stock diced.

1 medium onion diced

4 cloves garlic fine diced.

1 cup frozen peas thawed.

1/4 cup frozen corn thawed.

4 cups rice cooked the night before.

Low sodium soy sauce.

Oyster sauce.

Roasted sesame oil.

Hoisin sauce. 

Green onion.

In a medium high heated dry wok, add thighs and cook covered until tender. Remove from wok and set aside to cool.

Heat over med high, a Tbls peanut oil in wok. Add eggs and scramble. Remove from pan and reserve with cooked bacon.

Heat more oil and add carrots celery onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook a bit more (1 or 2 minutes).

Dice meat from thighs as the above and below are happening and set aside. Discard bone and skin.

Add cold rice and peas. Cook and stir occasionally until rice softens.

Add chicken eggs and bacon back into pan.

Stir in 1 or 2 Tbls SOY SAUCE.

1 Tbls Oyster Sauce

2 tsp sesame oil.

1 tsp Hoisin sauce. 

Garnish with green onion and serve. 

With this I make Beef and Broccoli, Sesame Chicken and a Lo Mein.

20200419_112313.jpg

Edited by Ron
Add corn
  • Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, misfish said:

Next time I make baked beans,I will eat them the next day . Even though they were very good last night ,do they ever taste better today and even thicken up . :good:

Yup yup. Same as Spaghetti sauce, always better 2 days later.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:57 PM, misfish said:

Busy morning in the misfish,s hell  kitchen .

Started at 6 am and got the home made molasses beans put together and into the oven for 6 hours.  Soaked the beans over night,boiled for 1 hr .  Get everything in the bowl,into the oven .While that was getting all hot and happy ,I started on the Newfie bull beef cakes . Fried them up so they were done and ready for dinner .

Pulled the beans, and well,they be sweet molasses baked beans with lots of bacon in it .

YJwFRYu.jpg

The beans are good. Next time make em up on the smoker if you can. I do mine up on the pellet grill. They get a real nice smokey taste to boot.

20200105_163112.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/16/2020 at 5:29 PM, misfish said:

Next time I make baked beans,I will eat them the next day . Even though they were very good last night ,do they ever taste better today and even thicken up . :good:

I make them now in one of those InstaPot pressure cookers, no soaking overnight and I can have them done in a bit over 1 1/2 hours including prep time.

7 hours ago, Old Ironmaker said:

OK I give, what's a Bully Beef?. I browned it all on the inside of a cast iron pot tonight. An onion, 4 garlic cloves and covered in Montreal Steak Spice. 

It was a staple in our house 60 years ago, chilled and sliced with catsup and horseradish in  a samich or diced and fried with diced boiled potatoes or cabbage as a main course. The stuff we got back then had the bull's head on it and was made in Argentina which at that age I thought was kinda exotic. If the strip that you wound on the key broke it was a P.I.A.

These turned out very nice . I was told a trick to get the dough to rise nice and airy . Cover bowl as norm, but put the bowl on the burner that allows the heat from the oven out. Oven on 100 or warm  . Boy did it puff up nice. Did 2 rises this way. Put the filled pans on the heat for 1/2 hour, then in the oven at 350 deg for 35 min.

The mix I made was for one loaf,but got 2 out of it .:good:

My best so far .

DSCF5575.thumb.JPG.8704bf959ebb498b60d06861dcc7b0ce.JPG

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, misfish said:

These turned out very nice . I was told a trick to get the dough to rise nice and airy . Cover bowl as norm, but put the bowl on the burner that allows the heat from the oven out. Oven on 100 or warm  . Boy did it puff up nice. Did 2 rises this way. Put the filled pans on the heat for 1/2 hour, then in the oven at 350 deg for 35 min.

The mix I made was for one loaf,but got 2 out of it .:good:

My best so far .

DSCF5575.thumb.JPG.8704bf959ebb498b60d06861dcc7b0ce.JPG

Curbside me a couple of those beauties please. 

5 hours ago, Ron said:

Brian,

Which recipe are you following? The video one or do you have another?

Thanks....

Hi Ron

I have watched so many, I just take from one and the other and mix it up . Removed melted butter and added 2 teaspoons of olive oil . Getting the right temp to get that yeast activated just perfect is # 1 . I messed this up many times . I have got to where I want the dough sticky, not dry . When letting the 1st rise happen,I put flour on the top so it dosent stick to the wrap . Also found that, press and seal wrap is awesome to hold the heat in .  Just don't press in the middle to seal . I just press around the edge of the steel bowl  leaving enough wrap, to lift with the expansion . Also found more salt then the 2 teaspoons is much tastier . I put a spoon full .

Now that I think I have it some what mastered, I want to try cheese bread,olive/anchovie  bread sticks with parma cheese sprinkled on top . My brain goes nuts once I want to explore .

Today is no cook day. Sandwich and soup day . Ya, mushroom soup from a can . LOL

My next project is going to be Knish . So many fillings can be done with this .

Edited by misfish

On 4/8/2020 at 9:02 PM, Ron said:

You guys have GOT to try this!

Beer can Burgers. Found it on the net.

make 6oz meat balls.

take unopened can and push down into middle of meatball. Raise hamburger up and around can to about the width of 2pcs of bacon.

Wrap with bacon, this will help hole the shape of the burger and well, who doesn't like bacon. Pack firmly around can, you know you got it right if it creates a vacuum around can. (hint, grab can with paper towel for better grip and rotate in one direction as you lift.

Fill with your favorite ingredients, today I sauteed onions and red peppers. plus added steamed asparagus. Topped with a couple cubes of Havarti and Swiss. To that I added garlic powder, onion powder salt and pepper. Drizzled BBQ sauce and put on pellet grill for 1 hour at 300. 

While they were cooking, I made creamy garlic mashed potatoes. Once the "burgers" were done, I set it on top of the potato.

What a meal!

Resized_20200408_174034.jpeg

Resized_20200408_172359.jpeg

Resized_20200408_174804.jpeg

20200408_183345.jpg

20200408_190231.jpg

:)

spacer.png

• Like 1