cooking thread...

You guys have GOT to try this!

Beer can Burgers. Found it on the net.

make 6oz meat balls.

take unopened can and push down into middle of meatball. Raise hamburger up and around can to about the width of 2pcs of bacon.

Wrap with bacon, this will help hole the shape of the burger and well, who doesn't like bacon. Pack firmly around can, you know you got it right if it creates a vacuum around can. (hint, grab can with paper towel for better grip and rotate in one direction as you lift.

Fill with your favorite ingredients, today I sauteed onions and red peppers. plus added steamed asparagus. Topped with a couple cubes of Havarti and Swiss. To that I added garlic powder, onion powder salt and pepper. Drizzled BBQ sauce and put on pellet grill for 1 hour at 300. 

While they were cooking, I made creamy garlic mashed potatoes. Once the "burgers" were done, I set it on top of the potato.

What a meal!

Resized_20200408_174034.jpeg

Resized_20200408_172359.jpeg

Resized_20200408_174804.jpeg

20200408_183345.jpg

20200408_190231.jpg

Edited by Ron
Add pictures
  • Like 4

I "always" cook a ham for Easter, but I did not have one in the freezer and wasn't going out for groceries AGAIN........

So I found a pair of wild turkey breasts from last spring.  I had wrapped them very well and there was no freezer burn at all, thankfully.  I brined them in an apple juice marinade (apple juice, water, salt, sugar, rosemary, garlic) for almost 24 hours, then rinsed them offm, wrapped them with bacon, and into the smoker.  Two pans of apple wood chips, just a bit over two hours.  But the internal temp of the breasts was only 120, so I finished them in the oven.  They were OK, but I would have preferred ham and scalloped potatoes.

smoked wild turkey2.jpg

smoked wild turkey1.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ketchenany said:

You could replace another cup with white wine! Wine spritzer bread.

I forgot, salmon was in the smoker . Will be a nice addition to the layer of cream cheese on the bread .  I raise you 5 lbs and call .🤣

Dahz0IK.jpg

• Like 3

Of course as usual everything here looks and I'm sure more importantly tastes fantastic. 

Nothing is going to waste, I'm digging deep into the back 40 of the freezer and nothing fruit or vegetable related is going into a compost bin, nothing. All cuttings of veggies are going into a freezer bag in the freezer and including lettuce ends and cores, I always have a bag of chicken backs ready for stock. Yesterday I made 2 cups of fried rice and it was one of the best ever. What could go wrong with rice, big shrimp and nice sized scallops. 

I diced what we had in the veggie drawer from peppers to swiss chard ends and everything in between that was or at it's best before date. I was taught years ago by Yan Can that had the TV show 20 years ago. Make any type of rice you wish. Spread it all out evenly on a baking tray and set outside or in the freezer to cool (after you cook it !!!) Don't ask. OK you asked. I told my brother how to make fried rice like I did for him and his wife years ago and  he did everything to the T except cook the rice. I set the rice I made outside until cold then brought it in and broke it all up with a fork. The rice will never stick together if you like it that way, there are thousands of rice dishes many more and not all what we have at our Chinese places. Balls of sticky white rice is big in Japan and Southern Korea. Then I sautéed all the veggies in my wok with peanut oil, sesame seed oil and Pres. Choice pepper and garlic oil. They have a ginger and garlic infused oil as well. A splash of fish sauce that does not have any fish in it. A teaspoon of chopped garlic and the same of chopped ginger, fresh or in the jar. Stir fried all my hard veggies like peppers and carrots 1st then add the soft stuff like greens and mushrooms etc. last. Salt and pepper blah blah, if you are reading this you know what you are doing if you have questions just ask.  When they are done add the rice and stir it up and heat the rice. Forgot the splash of siracha sauce if heat wanted, no too much eh. Right at the end I added the uncooked shrimp I had and the same amount of scallops and a splash of soya sauce to taste rather than salt. Man it was good. 2 cups of rice, 2 people and just enough left over for my wife's lunch the next day. I called it Selkirk Fried Rice. The Chinese place in town before they tore down the building always had as a special "Cayuga Special Fried Rice" The special was everything left over from the day before. We all miss that place. The owner Chan was a hoot and a 1/2. They didn't have a liquor licence and once brought it alcohol free beer. He made a sign that said.

DRINK NO DRUNK

Busy morning in the misfish,s hell  kitchen .

Started at 6 am and got the home made molasses beans put together and into the oven for 6 hours.  Soaked the beans over night,boiled for 1 hr .  Get everything in the bowl,into the oven .While that was getting all hot and happy ,I started on the Newfie bull beef cakes . Fried them up so they were done and ready for dinner .

Pulled the beans, and well,they be sweet molasses baked beans with lots of bacon in it .

YJwFRYu.jpg

3 hours ago, misfish said:

Oh that was a great show.

🤣

I learned much about Asian cooking from him. And new Italian dishes Mom didn't make from Pasquali the Singing Italian chef out of Toronto that had a TV show. Both Mom and an Aunt disliked him. They said all his sauces were raw if he only cooked them for 15 minutes. 

Who here do you all think will be the 1st to gain 25 pounds or more by staying home and cooking all day? I could put on a few pounds. I've lost 35 pounds in the last 4 years, mostly muscle mass unfortunately. No reason why. 173.5 today. I don't remember being less than 185. I was that in grade 11 playing HS Football. 205 in grade 12. Stayed at 205 for the next 18 years then I blew up to 235. 

Weigh yourself all and lets see who gained the most weight. 

Warning: Cooking will lead to eating. 

2 minutes ago, akaShag said:

And what might they be, Brian?
Doug

Corn beef simply,but you can get from what I have heard, bull beef . It is the  meat from the front of the bull . Usually the toughest meat that is minced .

Hereford is my choice . There are many different brands out there if you shop around in different stores . The international section here has like 6 different brands from diffeent parts of the world . I will stick with what I know and like . You can slice this stuff cold,put on fresh bread and smoother in katsup.  Oh so good. :D

Hereford Corned Beef | Walmart Canada

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, misfish said:

Corn beef simply,but you can get from what I have heard, bull beef . It is the  meat from the front of the bull . Usually the toughest meat that is minced .

Hereford is my choice . There are many different brands out there if you shop around in different stores . The international section here has like 6 different brands from diffeent parts of the world . I will stick with what I know and like . You can slice this stuff cold,put on fresh bread and smoother in katsup.  Oh so good. :D

Hereford Corned Beef | Walmart Canada

But to make those fried patties, did you mix it with some mashed potatoes and etc, like fish cakes?

Doug

8 minutes ago, akaShag said:

But to make those fried patties, did you mix it with some mashed potatoes and etc, like fish cakes?

Doug

Yes, just like cod cakes . I sated the onions for the recipe .

1 can of beef 9 should of went with 2, next time ) 4 medium Boiled taters,  2 sated onions,  tlbs Mt.Scio savory, pepper to taste . I add no salt, as there is enough salt in the meat IMO.

Mash . Form into patties . Dip in egg wash,lightly powder with flour . Fry with Olive oil/butter mix, that way you do not burn the pan or the patties .

Best Turkey Dressing Ever - Weekend at the Cottage

Edited by misfish
  • Like 2